    there any that should be avoided - conversely are there any particularly
    outstanding matchings?

    RoS

    RoS, Dec 9, 2004

  2. RoS

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    "RoS" <> writes:

    > Tried posting this yesterday but it didn't appear. So here goes again.
    >
    > What are 'G' type Nikkor zoom lenses? I can't find any reference to them on
    > the Nikon site but they appearing in some current special deals matched to
    > the D70.

    Equivalent to a 'D' in all things except that they lack a mechanical
    aperture ring (And thus the AIS coupling). If you never buy an older
    camera, you simply don't care.

    > The D70 seems to be being offered with a variety of lens combinations. Are
    > there any that should be avoided - conversely are there any particularly
    > outstanding matchings?

    The 18-70 is a surprisingly good lens, the 70-300 non-ED isn't, the
    28-80 is laughably bad.

    Bruce Murphy, Dec 9, 2004

  3. RoS

    Ken Tough Guest

    Bruce Murphy <> wrote:

    >The 18-70 is a surprisingly good lens, the 70-300 non-ED isn't, the
    >28-80 is laughably bad.

    Would you say the Nikkor 70-300 ED version is good? (or at least
    significantly different than the non-ED version)?

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Dec 9, 2004
  4. "Ken Tough" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce Murphy <> wrote:
    >
    > >The 18-70 is a surprisingly good lens, the 70-300 non-ED isn't, the
    > >28-80 is laughably bad.

    > Would you say the Nikkor 70-300 ED version is good? (or at least
    > significantly different than the non-ED version)?
    >

    > --
    > Ken Tough

    Hi Ken,

    I've owned a AF Nikkor 70 -300 f4 - 5.6D ED for a few years now. I assume
    this is the lens you are referring to? A great lens and produces terrific
    photos on both my Nikon 35mm film cameras and my Fuji FinePix S2 pro. A
    very good performer considering the asking price. Recommended.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Rutlidge, Dec 9, 2004
  5. RoS

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    Ken Tough <> writes:

    > Bruce Murphy <> wrote:
    >
    > >The 18-70 is a surprisingly good lens, the 70-300 non-ED isn't, the
    > >28-80 is laughably bad.

    > Would you say the Nikkor 70-300 ED version is good? (or at least
    > significantly different than the non-ED version)?

    Quite similar to the older 75-300 optically (and horrible
    mechhanically) , which is to say not so bad stopped down a bit out to
    200, expect creeping softness from 200-300. So say all the reviews and
    this is exactly my experience for the several dozen shots I've spent
    using the (newer) lens. Older was similar

    non-ED version is pretty nasty, all told.

    I toyed with the idea of getting it to use on a D70 but frankly, if
    I'm going to take the trouble to take a photo, I'll tote one of my
    real lenses and get a /good/ one.

    Bruce Murphy, Dec 9, 2004
  6. RoS

    sid derra Guest

    "Ken Tough" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce Murphy <> wrote:
    >
    > >The 18-70 is a surprisingly good lens, the 70-300 non-ED isn't, the
    > >28-80 is laughably bad.

    > Would you say the Nikkor 70-300 ED version is good? (or at least
    > significantly different than the non-ED version)?

    i own the "G" version and was considering the switch to the "ED" about a
    montha go - after doing some research and also consulting this group, the
    bottom line was that the ED does not produce much better quality but costs
    considerably more. like i said, i havent tried it myself, just read about
    and from people who know or own(ed) both lenses. i think eventually i will
    save up some cash to get the 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF...

    sid

    sid derra, Dec 9, 2004
  7. RoS

    AK Guest

    Go to:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/

    and search for Nikkor.

    Also:

    http://www.aiconversions.com/history.html

    and

    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.htmlBriefly, C/o "Jim": In the SLR line, they have used:pre-AI for the first line. You had to manually index the lens with thecamera to get metering correct (or close).AI for Automatic Indexing. It was introduced in 1977, and all lenses sincethen are AI at the very least.AI-S for the version of the manual focus lenses which was needed for theNikon FA. All AF lenses are also Ai-S lenses.AF for the first version of the autofocus lenses.AF-N for the second version autofocus lenses. These mainly had a morerobust manual focus ring.AF-D for autofocus lenses which returned the focus distance to the camera.The importance of D is overstated in Nikon literatureAF-I for autofocus lenses which had an internal focusing motor.AF-S for autofocus lenses which are similar in operation to Canon HSMAF G lenses have no manual aperature control.ED means extra low dispersion. It reduces the chromatic aberration thataflicts telephoto lenses.IF means internal focus."RoS" <> wrote in messagenews:wdTtd.65394$...> Tried posting this yesterday but it didn't appear. So here goes again.>> What are 'G' type Nikkor zoom lenses? I can't find any reference to themon> the Nikon site but they appearing in some current special deals matched to> the D70.>> The D70 seems to be being offered with a variety of lens combinations.Are> there any that should be avoided - conversely are there any particularly> outstanding matchings?>> RoS>>

    AK, Dec 10, 2004
  8. RoS

    Ken Tough Guest

    Alan Rutlidge <rutlidge@?.iinet.net.au> wrote:

    >I've owned a AF Nikkor 70 -300 f4 - 5.6D ED for a few years now. I assume
    >this is the lens you are referring to? A great lens and produces terrific
    >photos on both my Nikon 35mm film cameras and my Fuji FinePix S2 pro. A
    >very good performer considering the asking price. Recommended.

    Yeah, that's the one. Interesting; many reviews I've seen say that
    is optically pretty much identical to the G version, and the ED
    element isn't up to much. This is the one which is effectively
    the same as the Tamron LD version, isn't it?

    The "review of reviews" pegs the G version (2.84) the same (higher,
    but not significantly) than the ED version (2.79).

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

    Good to hear you recommend it though. There is also a D70 nikon
    rebate on the ED lens currently, and I've seen a UK price of GBP 210.

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Dec 10, 2004
  9. RoS

    AK Guest

    Reposting since my reply got "reformatted":

    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resou...ther/compatibility.html---------------Briefly, c/o "Jim": In the SLR line, they have used:pre-AI for the firstline. You had to manually index the lens with thecamera to get meteringcorrect (or close).AI for Automatic Indexing. It was introduced in 1977, andall lenses sincethen are AI at the very least.AI-S for the version of the manual focus lenses which was needed fortheNikon FA. All AF lenses are also Ai-S lenses.AF for the first version of the autofocus lenses.AF-N for the second version autofocus lenses. These mainly had a morerobustmanual focus ring.AF-D for autofocus lenses which returned the focusdistance to the camera.The importance of D is overstated in Nikon literatureAF-I for autofocus lenses which had an internal focusing motor.AF-S for autofocus lenses which are similar in operation to Canon HSMAFG lenses have no manual aperature control.ED means extra low dispersion. It reduces the chromatic aberrationthataflicts telephoto lenses.IF means internal focus."RoS"

    AK, Dec 11, 2004