    and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess what the
    various acronyms stand for.

    Alan
    AK, Nov 3, 2004

  2. AK

    PhotoMan Guest

    AK wrote:
    > Does anyone know where I can find a guide to the various Nikkor lens
    > classifications such as AIS, D, G, ED, etc.? I've gone through their
    > website and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess
    > what the various acronyms stand for.

    How big is your hard drive? :)
    PhotoMan, Nov 3, 2004

  3. AK

    Buster Guest

    AIS was the last version before autofocus, it supported program and
    shutter-priority.
    D refers to sending the camera info on the the distance the lens is
    focused. Mostly for flash photography.
    G means the lens doesn't have an aperture control ring. The newer
    bodies let you adjust your f-stop with a dial on the camera.
    ED stands for Extra-low Dispersion. This helps keep all the colors in
    focus on the more expensive lenses.
    Get Nikon to send you the full-line product guide. The letters may not
    be directly explained, but the literature always explains the benefit
    of whatever feature they are hyping, and you can fill in the blanks.
    Buster

    Buster, Nov 3, 2004
  4. AK

    Jim Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where I can find a guide to the various Nikkor lens
    > classifications such as AIS, D, G, ED, etc.? I've gone through their

    website
    > and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess what the
    > various acronyms stand for.
    >
    > Alan

    In the SLR line, they have used:

    pre-AI for the first line. You had to manually index the lens with the
    camera to get metering correct (or close).
    AI for Automatic Indexing. It was introduced in 1977, and all lenses since
    then are AI at the very least.
    AI-S for the version of the manual focus lenses which was needed for the
    Nikon FA. All AF lenses are also Ai-S lenses.
    AF for the first version of the autofocus lenses.
    AF-N for the second version autofocus lenses. These mainly had a more
    robust manual focus ring.
    AF-D for autofocus lenses which returned the focus distance to the camera.
    The importance of D is overstated in Nikon literature
    AF-I for autofocus lenses which had an internal focusing motor.
    AF-S for autofocus lenses which are similar in operation to Canon HSM
    AF G lenses have no manual aperature control.
    ED means extra low dispersion. It reduces the chromatic aberration that
    aflicts telephoto lenses.
    IF means internal focus.

    Gee, aren't you glad you asked?
    Jim, Nov 3, 2004
  5. http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2004
  6. AK

    sally Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where I can find a guide to the various Nikkor lens
    > classifications such as AIS, D, G, ED, etc.? I've gone through their
    > website and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess what
    > the various acronyms stand for.

    Look the whole page over--it should clear things up.
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html
    sally, Nov 3, 2004
  7. the same site but a different page is a better place to start...
    http://www.aiconversions.com/history.html

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2004
  8. AK

    John Mares Guest

    "sally" <> wrote in message
    > "AK" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know where I can find a guide to the various Nikkor lens
    >> classifications such as AIS, D, G, ED, etc.? I've gone through their
    >> website and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess
    >> what the various acronyms stand for.
    >>

    > Look the whole page over--it should clear things up.
    > http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

    Great info there, thank you v. much.

    John Mares
    John Mares, Nov 3, 2004
  9. AK

    George Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "AK" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know where I can find a guide to the various Nikkor lens
    > > classifications such as AIS, D, G, ED, etc.? I've gone through their

    > website
    > > and can't find anything, and am frustrated at trying to guess what the
    > > various acronyms stand for.
    > >
    > > Alan
    > >

    > In the SLR line, they have used:
    >
    > pre-AI for the first line. You had to manually index the lens with the
    > camera to get metering correct (or close).
    > AI for Automatic Indexing. It was introduced in 1977, and all lenses

    since
    > then are AI at the very least.
    > AI-S for the version of the manual focus lenses which was needed for the
    > Nikon FA. All AF lenses are also Ai-S lenses.
    > AF for the first version of the autofocus lenses.
    > AF-N for the second version autofocus lenses. These mainly had a more
    > robust manual focus ring.
    > AF-D for autofocus lenses which returned the focus distance to the camera.
    > The importance of D is overstated in Nikon literature
    > AF-I for autofocus lenses which had an internal focusing motor.
    > AF-S for autofocus lenses which are similar in operation to Canon HSM
    > AF G lenses have no manual aperature control.
    > ED means extra low dispersion. It reduces the chromatic aberration that
    > aflicts telephoto lenses.
    > IF means internal focus.
    >
    > Gee, aren't you glad you asked?

    Not to nit-pick, but didn't you forget "IC", "K", and "C" lenses. <g>
    George, Nov 3, 2004
  10. AK

    Jim Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message

    > Not to nit-pick, but didn't you forget "IC", "K", and "C" lenses. <g>

    I got tired of the whole thing before I got to those lenses.
    Jim
    Jim, Nov 3, 2004
  11. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks - this was exactly the information I was looking for!

    Rgds

    Alan

    AK, Nov 3, 2004
  12. AK

    AK Guest

    Yes - I'm glad I asked and glad you took the time to give me such a detailed
    response!!

    Many thanks

    Alan

    AK, Nov 3, 2004
  13. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks!

    Its a pity that Nikon don't have a similar page on their web-site.

    Very useful when considering purchasing a used lens.

    Rgds

    Alan

    AK, Nov 3, 2004
  14. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks!

    This is great - really gives the full picture.

    I can't understand why Nikon doesn't have this information on their website,
    which must be one of the world's worst for information about their
    products..

    Rgds

    Alan

    AK, Nov 3, 2004
  15. no surprise to me. nikon has repeatedly shown me that they do as little as
    necessary help their customers. it is probably a contributing factor why
    canon has taken so much of their market share. as backward compatibility
    with nikon lens becomes more complicated they will loose the base of
    customers that feel compelled to stick with nikon because of their
    investment in their glass.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 3, 2004
  16. AK

    bruno Guest

    bruno , Nov 4, 2004
  17. AK

    PhotoMan Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > no surprise to me. nikon has repeatedly shown me that they do as
    > little as necessary help their customers. it is probably a
    > contributing factor why canon has taken so much of their market
    > share. as backward compatibility with nikon lens becomes more
    > complicated they will loose the base of customers that feel compelled
    > to stick with nikon because of their investment in their glass.

    I believe Nikon were well intentioned back in '86 or so when they decided to
    make the new line of AF cameras backward compatible with older lenses.
    Later, they found that to remain competitive with Canon they had to
    compromise much of what they wanted to accomplish with new lenses. I
    remember being insanely angry with Canon in '87 when they introduced the EOS
    line and its EF lenses, thereby obsoleting my 80 some-odd pounds of FD
    lenses. Now, after several years of experience with the EOS system I see the
    wisdom of Canon's decision. The fully electronic EF mount has allowed them
    to do some remarkable things with the lenses. No buttons, levers, slots,
    ramps, springs, notches, pins, followers, linkages etc. to deal with. When
    Canon designed the EF system, their decision to enlarge the mount made such
    lenses as the 50mm/ƒ1.0 and 200mm/ƒ1.8 possible.
    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Nov 4, 2004
  18. AK

    gsum Guest

    Complicated to who exactly? I'm using some old Nikkors with my
    D100 with no problems. This so-called problem only applies to very
    ancient lenses.

    Graham

    gsum, Nov 4, 2004
  19. AK

    Guest

    "bruno" wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "sally" <> writes:
    >> Look the whole page over--it should clear things up.
    >> http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

    > Wow, that's a lot of lenses. So how can you tell whether the lense
    > is a professional lense as opposed to a consumer lense ?

    Speed, usually. But many lenses are neither: consider a 50mm/1.8, for
    example.

    Andrew.
    , Nov 4, 2004