    any damage caused by an AI lens?
    I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
    Ivan

    Ivan, Feb 5, 2005

  2. On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, "Ivan" <>
    wrote:

    >What does the D70 manual say?

    There's an online manual at:
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf

    On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
    AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
    in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Ivan

    Mike G. Guest

    Ivan wrote:
    > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
    > seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
    > called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
    > lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
    > haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
    > Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
    > cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
    > the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
    > any damage caused by an AI lens?
    > I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
    > Ivan

    Check out this link, though it might be more detailed than you want:

    Nikon F-mount steps
    http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmountsteps.htm

    If you click the 'F-mount index' link at the bottom of the page, you can
    become even more dazzled (dizzied?) with detail.

    Mike G., Feb 5, 2005
  4. Ivan

    Ivan Guest

    Very appreciated, thanks. I don't have a D70 yet so of course I couldn't
    have looked that up. :eek:)

    Ivan, Feb 5, 2005
  5. "Ivan" <> writes:

    > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
    > seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
    > called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
    > lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
    > haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
    > Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
    > cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
    > the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
    > any damage caused by an AI lens?
    > I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)

    *Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

    I use AI lenses routinely on a Fuji S2, which is built on the N80
    body and hence in this regard is similar to the D100. I've used 24mm
    f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 58mm f1.2 NOCT, and 105mm f2.5 AI lenses on my
    S2.

    All the compatibility charts show AIS lenses working on all cameras
    that AI lenses work on. I can't find a definition of the difference,
    and neither designation seems to be marked on the lenses.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Michael Benveniste <> writes:

    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, "Ivan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What does the D70 manual say?

    > There's an online manual at:
    > http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf
    >
    > On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
    > AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
    > in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

    Which is the general behavior of non-AF (non-chipped, specifically)
    lenses on Nikon digital bodies. It certainly matches what happens
    with AI lenses on my Fuji S2.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 5, 2005
  7. "Mike G." <> writes:

    > Ivan wrote:
    >> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI
    >> lenses will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I
    >> haven't ever seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at
    >> Dpreview said he/she called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now
    >> on Ebay someone has an AI lens that he claims he used on his D70. I
    >> questioned him about that but haven't received a reply back yet.
    >> What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure Nikon will not shout out
    >> that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will cut into their
    >> sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in the D70
    >> manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
    >> any damage caused by an AI lens?
    >> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
    >> Ivan

    > Check out this link, though it might be more detailed than you want:
    >
    > Nikon F-mount steps
    > http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmountsteps.htm
    >
    > If you click the 'F-mount index' link at the bottom of the page, you
    > can become even more dazzled (dizzied?) with detail.

    Yikes! That's very detailed. I like people who bother to find all
    the information and put it together in one place! So, AI-S followed
    AI more quickly than I had guessed it would. (The Nikon System
    Handbook says 1982 rather than the 1979 that the URL above gives,
    though.) So some or most of my lenses may be AI-S rather than AI.
    Some have the orange minimum aperture numerals, some do not.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Ivan

    Jason P Guest

    Here's the link to the D70 lens compatibility chart on Nikon's support site:
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...r/std_adp.php?p_faqid=57&p_created=1029163096

    AI lenses will work but only provide manual focus and metering.

    Jason P, Feb 5, 2005
  9. Ivan

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <-b.net>,
    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > "Ivan" <> writes:
    >
    > > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals).

    > *Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

    Even older *non-Ai* lenses can in fact damage the body. These have an
    aperture ring that falls a bit over the bayonet, for which there is no
    room with modern bodies. This will/could damage either a non-flip-up Ai
    slider (plm. 2 o clock on the bayonet), or the little switch of newer
    bodies. (plm 7 o clock on the bayonet). Ai lenses are perfectly safe, as
    far as I know.

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Feb 5, 2005
  10. Ivan

    Glenn Jacobs Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, Ivan wrote:

    > From: "Ivan" <>
    > Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    > Subject: Nikkor AI lenses on D70
    > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600
    >
    > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
    > seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
    > called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
    > lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
    > haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
    > Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
    > cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
    > the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
    > any damage caused by an AI lens?
    > I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
    > Ivan

    I have used several Manual Lenses and one AI Lens with my D-70 without
    problem. They have to be used in Manual "M" mode however. The only thing
    that I have found is that they tend to be a little tight and require more
    force to put it on the camera than the "G" lens that came with it.

    Jake

    Glenn Jacobs, Feb 5, 2005
  11. Ivan

    Robert Scott Guest

    "Ivan" <> wrote in message
    > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
    > seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
    > called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
    > lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
    > haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say?

    The manual says you can use them (in "M" mode with no metering) and I've
    used my Nikkor 200mm f/4 Micro lots of times with no problems.
    Don't use NON-AI lenses, though.

    Good shooting,
    Bob Scott

    Robert Scott, Feb 5, 2005
  12. Ivan

    Jim Guest

    "Ivan" <> wrote in message
    > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
    > seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
    > called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
    > lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
    > haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm

    sure
    > Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
    > cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
    > the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
    > any damage caused by an AI lens?
    > I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
    > Ivan

    Well, since the only difference in the mount between an AI and AI-S lens is
    that the AI-S lenses have a known relationship between the position of the
    aperature ring and the aperature diameter and since all AF lenses are also
    AI-S lenses, the likelihood of damage to either the camera or then lens is
    very very unlikely. I would not consider a non-AI lens because they could
    to damage to the camera (as well as film cameras that don't have a flip up
    aperature ring contact). Besides many AI and AI-S lenses have been
    recomputed...
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 5, 2005
  13. Ivan

    Mike G. Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Yikes! That's very detailed. I like people who bother to find all
    > the information and put it together in one place! So, AI-S followed
    > AI more quickly than I had guessed it would. (The Nikon System
    > Handbook says 1982 rather than the 1979 that the URL above gives,
    > though.) So some or most of my lenses may be AI-S rather than AI.
    > Some have the orange minimum aperture numerals, some do not.

    As far as I can tell, most of the AI-S lenses prior to about 1981 were
    Series E lenses. I don't know if you found this particular link, which
    was buried on the site I previously referenced. It might help you
    identify which of yours are ...or aren't. It lists each lense with a date.

    http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/AI-S-type.htm

    Interestingly, if I recall correctly, from photo mag lense reviews circa
    1980 or 1981 (Modern Photography, long defunct, sadly), the E Series
    50mm f/1.8 was better optically than the then current AI 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor. I had just bought a FE body with that Nikkor as the prime
    lense, and shortly thereafter, got my son an E Series Body with the E
    Series lense. I got the precision and build quality of a metal body
    lense, and he got lots of plastic, but he nevertheless aced me out
    optically.

    There was a general feeling that two things were happening in the lense
    design industry about that time. First, there were a lot of new optical
    glasses and coatings being developed, and second, computers were coming
    more into use for optical design, which allowed designers to look at
    many thousands of combinations of elements, glasses, coatings, etc., in
    a short time, compared to - oh, I don't really know, but maybe like a
    hundred total combos was a lot when pushing slide rules.

    Anyway, I hope you are able to identify which versions of your lenses
    you have.

    Mike

    Mike G., Feb 6, 2005
  14. Lourens Smak <> writes:

    > In article <-b.net>,
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ivan" <> writes:
    >>
    >> > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
    >> > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals).

    >> *Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

    > Even older *non-Ai* lenses can in fact damage the body. These have an
    > aperture ring that falls a bit over the bayonet, for which there is no
    > room with modern bodies. This will/could damage either a non-flip-up Ai
    > slider (plm. 2 o clock on the bayonet), or the little switch of newer
    > bodies. (plm 7 o clock on the bayonet). Ai lenses are perfectly safe, as
    > far as I know.

    Yes, exactly. AI lenses are safe. I've never previously heard any
    suggestion that they weren't, and you don't seem to have either.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 6, 2005