Nikkor 70~200 VR G lens loose on camera mount

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marcus, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello All! This is my first time posting, so I hope I have the right news
    group. If not, would someone be so kind as to point me in the right
    direction. I have checked out message threads (back to October 4th) in this
    news group over the past four days, but have yet to come across one with my
    problem.

    Last night, while taking pictures at a minor hockey game, I noticed the
    lens was somewhat "loose" on the camera mount. So, I removed the lens and
    remounted it. This did not remedy the situation. After the "click" to
    confirm proper coupling of the lens, there was still a bit of movement in
    both directions while on the mount.

    The lens in question is the Nikkor 70~200 VR G Series zoom lens. It was
    mounted on a Nikon D100. I tried the lens on my D70 and had the same
    problem. It is not a large amount of movement but, being a lifelong Nikon
    user, I find this somewhat troubling. Picture quality does not seem to be
    affected.

    I do not recall having this happen before — I have been taking pictures for
    over 30 years — nor can I recreate this problem with any other Nikon body
    and lens combination.

    Has anyone in this group heard of this before?

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Marcus

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that Marcus <> stated that:

    >Hello All! This is my first time posting, so I hope I have the right news
    >group. If not, would someone be so kind as to point me in the right
    >direction. I have checked out message threads (back to October 4th) in this
    >news group over the past four days, but have yet to come across one with my
    >problem.

    Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't think there was anyone left with the
    manners to do that. :)

    [loose zoom lens]
    >The lens in question is the Nikkor 70~200 VR G Series zoom lens. It was
    >mounted on a Nikon D100. I tried the lens on my D70 and had the same
    >problem. It is not a large amount of movement but, being a lifelong Nikon
    >user, I find this somewhat troubling. Picture quality does not seem to be
    >affected.

    I'd do some focus tests with the aperture wide open before assuming that
    the quality is okay. If it's not 100%, I'd get it checked out by an
    expert.
    (BTW, I'm mostly a Canon user, so I have no idea whether this symptom is
    a known issue with that particular lens. OTOH, I'm sure people would be
    bitching about it here if it was. ;)

    , Jan 13, 2005

  3. On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:47:44 GMT, Marcus <> wrote:

    >Hello All! This is my first time posting, so I hope I have the right news
    >group. If not, would someone be so kind as to point me in the right
    >direction. I have checked out message threads (back to October 4th) in this
    >news group over the past four days, but have yet to come across one with my
    >problem.
    >
    >Last night, while taking pictures at a minor hockey game, I noticed the
    >lens was somewhat "loose" on the camera mount. So, I removed the lens and
    >remounted it. This did not remedy the situation. After the "click" to
    >confirm proper coupling of the lens, there was still a bit of movement in
    >both directions while on the mount.
    >
    >The lens in question is the Nikkor 70~200 VR G Series zoom lens. It was
    >mounted on a Nikon D100. I tried the lens on my D70 and had the same
    >problem. It is not a large amount of movement but, being a lifelong Nikon
    >user, I find this somewhat troubling. Picture quality does not seem to be
    >affected.
    >
    >I do not recall having this happen before — I have been taking pictures for
    >over 30 years — nor can I recreate this problem with any other Nikon body
    >and lens combination.

    You might want to run this by Nikons online tech support. I used it
    recently with some questions about Focusing screens and found it to
    work well and the answers correct.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_home

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

    "A people that take no pride in the noble accomplishments
    of remote ancestors will never achieve anything worthy
    to be remembered with pride by remote descendents."

    Thomas Babington Macaulay
    _History of England_
    John A. Stovall, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Marcus

    Paul Guest

    I'm glad to find someone else with my same problem, Marcus.

    Last year I purchased a Nikon D70 Outfit that comes with an
    original 18-70mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens, and I'm very happy about
    the camera quality.
    Last month I purchased a Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6,3EX telephoto lens.
    The Sigma lens is also excellent,but from the moment I mounted it on
    my D70, I noticed the same problem you describe with your Nikkor
    70~200 lens.

    I called Sigma and consulted with some photo equipment retailers, and
    all of them said that this may be "normal" for "such a big and heavy
    lens",but I'm not sure that they are right, or they just think than I'm
    a very picky customer.

    A salesman said he had tried the D70 with more than one telephoto lens
    (even Nikkor originals) and the mount seemed always a little lose.

    The Sigma works fine with my D70, without losing focus or electronic
    connection at any time, but I still don't like the "lose" fitting between
    the lens and the camera body, as if the locking mechanism somehow was worn.

    Your post describes the same, supporting the theory that this could be
    in fact "normal".

    It still worries me that the original 70-70mm Nikkor lens that comes
    with my D70 fits perfectly tight, as I believe all the other lenses
    should, so I don't know what to believe.

    Please let me know if you find any other answer or solution out there,
    I'll let you know if I learn something new.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Marcus

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:47:44 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Marcus
    <> wrote:

    >Last night, while taking pictures at a minor hockey game, I noticed the
    >lens was somewhat "loose" on the camera mount. So, I removed the lens and
    >remounted it. This did not remedy the situation. After the "click" to
    >confirm proper coupling of the lens, there was still a bit of movement in
    >both directions while on the mount.

    A bit is a bit subjective. How much are we talking about here? I find my
    70-200mm VR and TC20E-II move about as much as my kit 18-70mm lens, just
    that the kit lens takes a bit, :) , more effort to move. I have no other
    experience to compare body or lenswise.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Jan 13, 2005
  6. Marcus

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message

    > Last night, while taking pictures at a minor hockey game, I noticed the
    > lens was somewhat "loose" on the camera mount.

    I don't believe it should move. Even my very heavy 80-400 mm VR does not
    move in the lens mount.

    I don't think it should change your autofocus much, though, because the
    camera will change focus until the picture is sharp. Manual focus might be
    another problem -- not because the camera is hard to focus, but because
    after you focus the lens might move a little bit.

    The other thing I would worry about is the lens damaging the lens mount on
    the camera.
    C J Campbell, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Marcus

    GTO Guest

    I use Nikon gears and so far never had one lens that was "loose". Even the
    old 80-200 mounts just perfectly on my new D70. I think you should have this
    lens checked out.

    Gregor

    GTO, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you for your prompt reply!

    wrote in

    > Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't think there was anyone left with the
    > manners to do that. :)

    Thank you:) I, for one, am a firm believer that good manners are never out-
    of-date or oldfashioned.

    > I'd do some focus tests with the aperture wide open before assuming
    > that the quality is okay. If it's not 100%, I'd get it checked out by
    > an expert.
    > (BTW, I'm mostly a Canon user, so I have no idea whether this symptom
    > is a known issue with that particular lens. OTOH, I'm sure people
    > would be bitching about it here if it was. ;)

    Thank you for your suggestion. I will try some focus tests tomorrow when
    there is better lighting available.

    Once again, I am most appreciative for your prompt reply.

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  9. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you John!

    John A. Stovall <> wrote in

    > You might want to run this by Nikons online tech support. I used it
    > recently with some questions about Focusing screens and found it to
    > work well and the answers correct.
    >
    > http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_home
    >
    > http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.p
    > hp

    Thank you for your suggestion and the links to Nikon.

    I must say I am indeed impressed with the help of those in this group! I
    just refreshed the headers and have three more replies! :)

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  10. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you Paul!

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > I'm glad to find someone else with my same problem, Marcus.
    >
    > Last year I purchased a Nikon D70 Outfit that comes with an
    > original 18-70mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens, and I'm very happy about
    > the camera quality.
    > Last month I purchased a Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6,3EX telephoto lens.
    > The Sigma lens is also excellent,but from the moment I mounted it on
    > my D70, I noticed the same problem you describe with your Nikkor
    > 70~200 lens.
    >
    > I called Sigma and consulted with some photo equipment retailers, and
    > all of them said that this may be "normal" for "such a big and heavy
    > lens",but I'm not sure that they are right, or they just think than
    > I'm a very picky customer.
    >
    > A salesman said he had tried the D70 with more than one telephoto lens
    > (even Nikkor originals) and the mount seemed always a little lose.
    >
    > The Sigma works fine with my D70, without losing focus or electronic
    > connection at any time, but I still don't like the "lose" fitting
    > between the lens and the camera body, as if the locking mechanism
    > somehow was worn.
    >
    > Your post describes the same, supporting the theory that this could be
    > in fact "normal".
    >
    > It still worries me that the original 70-70mm Nikkor lens that comes
    > with my D70 fits perfectly tight, as I believe all the other lenses
    > should, so I don't know what to believe.
    >
    > Please let me know if you find any other answer or solution out there,
    > I'll let you know if I learn something new.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you for sharing your experience. It is interesting to see that I am
    not the only one that has encountered this phenomenon with a lens.

    I agree with your assessment regarding the D70. The 18~70 DX lens that came
    in the kit seems to fit superbly. When it clicks into place, there is no
    movement whatsoever.

    It gives me reason to pause when salepeople state that this "might" be
    considered a normal thing. Methinks they know not of what they speak. :(

    I look forward to any further messages from you.

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  11. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you Ed!

    Ed Ruf <> wrote in

    > A bit is a bit subjective. How much are we talking about here? I find
    > my 70-200mm VR and TC20E-II move about as much as my kit 18-70mm lens,
    > just that the kit lens takes a bit, :) , more effort to move. I
    > have no other experience to compare body or lenswise.
    > ----------
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Thank you for your reply. :)

    I apologize for not making myself clear regarding my post. By a "bit", I
    mean about half the thickness of the alignment dot on the lens barrel.
    Granted, it is not a large amount of play, but it does bother me that a
    lens from a reputable company such as Nikon would have this problem.

    While composing this message, my photographer friend (Ronnie) has arrived.
    The 70~200 lens has a bit of, though not as much, play on her F4 and F5. I
    am beginning to believe this could be considered the "normal" for this
    lens.

    Oddly enough, she does not own this particular lens. Rather she prefers the
    older second generation of the 80~200AF lens. It is rock solid.

    Marcus

    PS. I will check your website once photography class is out! :)
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  12. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you C J!

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in

    > "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I don't believe it should move. Even my very heavy 80-400 mm VR does
    > not move in the lens mount.
    >
    > I don't think it should change your autofocus much, though, because
    > the camera will change focus until the picture is sharp. Manual focus
    > might be another problem -- not because the camera is hard to focus,
    > but because after you focus the lens might move a little bit.
    >
    > The other thing I would worry about is the lens damaging the lens
    > mount on the camera.

    Thank you, and everyone, for the very useful information provided!

    I agree that a lens should not move on the mount. However, (see previous
    reply to Ed)it seems to be the "normal" for the 70~200VR.

    The 80~400VR lens was one lens I had considered purchasing. However, I
    was informed by numerous laypersons, as well as others in the photography
    field, that it would not suit my shooting of sports action all that well.

    I will be contacting Nikon directly regarding any possible damage to the
    mount.

    By the way, how do you like your 80~400?

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  13. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you GTO!

    "GTO" <> wrote in

    > I use Nikon gears and so far never had one lens that was "loose". Even
    > the old 80-200 mounts just perfectly on my new D70. I think you should
    > have this lens checked out.
    >
    > Gregor

    Thank you for your suggestion. I will be contacting Nikon with a host of
    questions regarding this particular lens (please refer to previous post and
    replies in this thread) as well as any possible damage to the camera
    mounts.

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  14. Marcus

    Rick Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    | Hello All! This is my first time posting, so I hope I have the right news
    | group. If not, would someone be so kind as to point me in the right
    | direction. I have checked out message threads (back to October 4th) in this
    | news group over the past four days, but have yet to come across one with my
    | problem.
    |
    | Last night, while taking pictures at a minor hockey game, I noticed the
    | lens was somewhat "loose" on the camera mount. So, I removed the lens and
    | remounted it. This did not remedy the situation. After the "click" to
    | confirm proper coupling of the lens, there was still a bit of movement in
    | both directions while on the mount.
    |
    | The lens in question is the Nikkor 70~200 VR G Series zoom lens. It was
    | mounted on a Nikon D100. I tried the lens on my D70 and had the same
    | problem. It is not a large amount of movement but, being a lifelong Nikon
    | user, I find this somewhat troubling. Picture quality does not seem to be
    | affected.
    |
    | I do not recall having this happen before - I have been taking pictures for
    | over 30 years - nor can I recreate this problem with any other Nikon body
    | and lens combination.
    |
    | Has anyone in this group heard of this before?
    |
    | Thank you in advance for your help!

    I have a D70 and the Nikkor 70~200 VR G. The lens fits tightly on the body.
    I would have the lens checked; even if the lens still works on the camera,
    there is always the possibility of light leaking between the lens and the
    camera body.

    Good luck,
    Rick

    Rick, Jan 14, 2005
  15. Marcus

    the zorg Guest

    Re: Thank you Ed!

    [snip]

    > While composing this message, my photographer friend (Ronnie) has arrived.
    > The 70~200 lens has a bit of, though not as much, play on her F4 and F5. I
    > am beginning to believe this could be considered the "normal" for this
    > lens.

    Hi Marcus,

    I've just got my F5 out with the same lens to check. There is a small
    degree of freedom rotationaly, about the same as you mentioned
    previously, a small fraction of the mounting. There is no freedom of
    movement other than that i.e. the lens is held rock solid,
    perpendicularly, against the body.

    This movement is not apparent with my other lenses, so perhaps it is a
    "feature" of this lens.

    Adey

    the zorg, Jan 14, 2005
  16. Marcus

    the zorg Guest

    Re: Thank you Ed!

    the zorg wrote:
    > [snip]
    >

    >> While composing this message, my photographer friend (Ronnie) has
    >> arrived. The 70~200 lens has a bit of, though not as much, play on her
    >> F4 and F5. I am beginning to believe this could be considered the
    >> "normal" for this lens.
    >>

    > Hi Marcus,
    >
    > I've just got my F5 out with the same lens to check. There is a small
    > degree of freedom rotationaly, about the same as you mentioned
    > previously, a small fraction of the mounting. There is no freedom of

    doh! I meant to say a small fraction of the mounting guide dot

    Adey

    the zorg, Jan 14, 2005
  17. Marcus

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:12:55 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "C J Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't believe it should move. Even my very heavy 80-400 mm VR does not
    >move in the lens mount.

    Just for reference your "very heavy" 80-400 VR isn't heavier than the
    70-200mm VR.

    80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR = 49 oz
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1996

    70-200mm f/2.8 VR = 51.9 oz with tripod collar, 49.2 oz without, though
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1996
    has it as a tad less.

    Any how, the main point is the 80-400 is a bit bigger in dia, shorter by ~
    couple inches and about the same weight. Objective is the same size on both
    lenses.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf, Jan 14, 2005
  18. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you Rick!

    "Rick" <> wrote in

    > I have a D70 and the Nikkor 70~200 VR G. The lens fits tightly on the
    > body. I would have the lens checked; even if the lens still works on
    > the camera, there is always the possibility of light leaking between
    > the lens and the camera body.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Rick

    Thank you for the excellent suggestion. It is one I had not considered. It
    will be included in my inquiry to Nikon technical support.

    If memory serves, some of the pictures I shot last season look somewhat
    "foggy". A few photographs shot in bright sunlight having a similar look to
    them as some were taken when the camera was pointed within 45 degrees of
    the Sun. I assumed this was due to the intense light reflecting around the
    inside of the lens barrel and was optically unavoidable. Pictures shot in
    the shade show no such artifact.

    I think a review of the digital photo archive is in order!

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005
  19. Marcus

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message

    > Any how, the main point is the 80-400 is a bit bigger in dia, shorter by ~
    > couple inches and about the same weight. Objective is the same size on

    both
    > lenses.

    Thanks! But it still seems very heavy to me. Lugging that thing around all
    day is not the most pleasant chore.
    C J Campbell, Jan 14, 2005
  20. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Thank you Adey (The Zorg)!

    the zorg <> wrote in

    > Hi Marcus,
    >
    > I've just got my F5 out with the same lens to check. There is a small
    > degree of freedom rotationaly, about the same as you mentioned
    > previously, a small fraction of the mounting. There is no freedom of
    > movement other than that i.e. the lens is held rock solid,
    > perpendicularly, against the body.
    >
    > This movement is not apparent with my other lenses, so perhaps it is a
    > "feature" of this lens.
    >
    > Adey

    Thank you for your input.

    Calling this movement on the lens mount a "feature" is something I am
    hesitant to do. I am currently gathering all pertinent information and
    suggestions offered and will forward them to Nikon technical support
    regarding my "problem".

    By the way, Ronnie has graciously offered an extended loan of her F5 so
    that I can, as she puts it, tool around with various lenses! Now all I need
    is some warmer weather!

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jan 14, 2005