    or if there is a possibility of a wonky lens: color, clarity etc. are
    all fine.
    , Feb 20, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Anyone else using a 24 f2.8? I have a new 24mm that I picked up to
    > replace my 35mm when using digital bodies. Yesterday I picked up lens
    > flare on a great number of shots. No filters and using the correct(?)
    > HN-1 hood. Admitedly I was shooting very close to the sun and this is
    > a new lens for me but I have never experienced flare before with a
    > Nikkor using the factory hood. Also, the 35mm with film bodies was my
    > widest lens so I don't have much experience with superwides. Any
    > comments? Just curious if it's something I'll just need to live with
    > or if there is a possibility of a wonky lens: color, clarity etc. are
    > all fine.

    Wide angle lenses tend to be more sensitive to flare. Of course I have
    no way of knowing if that is it.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 20, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Anyone else using a 24 f2.8? I have a new 24mm that I picked up to
    > replace my 35mm when using digital bodies. Yesterday I picked up lens
    > flare on a great number of shots. No filters and using the correct(?)
    > HN-1 hood. Admitedly I was shooting very close to the sun and this is
    > a new lens for me but I have never experienced flare before with a
    > Nikkor using the factory hood. Also, the 35mm with film bodies was my
    > widest lens so I don't have much experience with superwides. Any
    > comments? Just curious if it's something I'll just need to live with
    > or if there is a possibility of a wonky lens: color, clarity etc. are
    > all fine.

    I should add that I did have that lens some time ago and I did notice a
    fair amount of flare. I never discovered if it was the lens or me.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 20, 2006
  4. <> wrote:
    > Anyone else using a 24 f2.8? I have a new 24mm that I picked up to
    > replace my 35mm when using digital bodies. Yesterday I picked up lens
    > flare on a great number of shots. No filters and using the correct(?)
    > HN-1 hood. Admitedly I was shooting very close to the sun and this is
    > a new lens for me but I have never experienced flare before with a
    > Nikkor using the factory hood. Also, the 35mm with film bodies was my
    > widest lens so I don't have much experience with superwides. Any
    > comments? Just curious if it's something I'll just need to live with
    > or if there is a possibility of a wonky lens: color, clarity etc. are
    > all fine.

    Try to find a hood for a 35mm lens (the HN-3 might work, since both the
    24/2.8 and the 35/2.0 use the same filter size). If the HN-3 doesn't work,
    you should be able to find a hood that screws into the filter threads.

    Don't chuck the HN-1 on the off chance that Nikon might change their mind
    and release a FF camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Feb 21, 2006
  5. writes:

    > Anyone else using a 24 f2.8? I have a new 24mm that I picked up to
    > replace my 35mm when using digital bodies. Yesterday I picked up lens
    > flare on a great number of shots. No filters and using the correct(?)
    > HN-1 hood. Admitedly I was shooting very close to the sun and this is
    > a new lens for me but I have never experienced flare before with a
    > Nikkor using the factory hood. Also, the 35mm with film bodies was my
    > widest lens so I don't have much experience with superwides. Any
    > comments? Just curious if it's something I'll just need to live with
    > or if there is a possibility of a wonky lens: color, clarity etc. are
    > all fine.

    I'm using my old Nikon 24mm f2, which I haven't found to be especially
    flare-prone. Remember that the "correct" hood for 35mm use will be
    far wider than needed for 1.5x digital use; that could be part of the
    problem (though I don't recall ever having a hood for mine, I
    certainly have never used one with it).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > Try to find a hood for a 35mm lens (the HN-3 might work, since both the
    > 24/2.8 and the 35/2.0 use the same filter size). If the HN-3 doesn't work,
    > you should be able to find a hood that screws into the filter threads.

    I have an HN-3, I'll give it a try. Now that I think about it, using
    a hood based on the view angle makes more sense. It was just so easy
    picking up the factory hood and knowing it would work fine with film.
    Maybe I'll switch all of my hoods up a size and then check for any
    vignetting. Thanks.
    , Feb 21, 2006
  7. <> wrote in message

    > Anyone else using a 24 f2.8? I have a new 24mm that I picked up to
    > replace my 35mm when using digital bodies. Yesterday I picked up lens
    > flare on a great number of shots. No filters and using the correct(?)
    > HN-1 hood. Admitedly I was shooting very close to the sun and this is
    > a new lens for me but I have never experienced flare before with a
    > Nikkor using the factory hood.

    Whenever direct sunlight reaches the lens surface, you run the risk of
    flare. This is true for any lens, but more likely for wide-angles.

    If the sun is not in the frame, then in principle a more accurate lens hood
    might be able to get rid of it. However, I'm not aware of any tulip-shaped
    hood for the 24/2.8 so your options are limited.

    However, if you (or a friend) can hold out a hand so that it casts a shadow
    on the lens, without the hand (or the arm attached to it) visible in the
    frame, you will find that most (or even all) of the flare will vanish.
    Andrew Koenig, Feb 21, 2006