Nikkon Coolpix 3200 crashes HP 7920 computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Carl, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Hi all-

    I have an HP 7920 computer... Yea, it's older and sluggish, but I've
    upgraded to Windows XP, so it has generally worked just fine... Until
    I bought my new Nikkon Coolpix 3200 digital camera. Whenever I plug
    the camera into my computer, it literally crashes the machine. The
    "New hardware found" message comes up in the lower corner, but then a
    few seconds later it crashes and restarts.

    Nikkon told me that it was most likely an HP issue, and that I could
    try to reload my USB Host Controller. I've uninstalled that and
    reinstalled that, and still nothing. I called HP, and I'm outside of
    my warranty, so they won't help me unless I give them an arm and a
    leg.

    Anyone have any ideas? Please post, or email me at
    .

    Thank you for your help!

    Carl Sundermann
    Carl, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Carl

    John O. Guest

    "Carl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all-
    >
    > I have an HP 7920 computer... Yea, it's older and sluggish, but I've
    > upgraded to Windows XP, so it has generally worked just fine... Until
    > I bought my new Nikkon Coolpix 3200 digital camera. Whenever I plug
    > the camera into my computer, it literally crashes the machine. The
    > "New hardware found" message comes up in the lower corner, but then a
    > few seconds later it crashes and restarts.
    >
    > Nikkon told me that it was most likely an HP issue, and that I could
    > try to reload my USB Host Controller. I've uninstalled that and
    > reinstalled that, and still nothing. I called HP, and I'm outside of
    > my warranty, so they won't help me unless I give them an arm and a
    > leg.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Please post, or email me at
    > .
    >
    > Thank you for your help!
    >
    > Carl Sundermann

    Yeah... don't connect the camera to the computer. Buy a USB card reader
    instead.

    John O., Apr 9, 2004

  3. Carl

    Guest

    Carl <> wrote:

    > Anyone have any ideas? Please post, or email me at
    > .

    Try using a USB card reader to read your camera's memory
    card on your computer. Perhaps that will work. Its usually
    the better option anyway.
    , Apr 9, 2004
  4. Carl

    Quaoar Guest

    Carl wrote:
    > Hi all-
    >
    > I have an HP 7920 computer... Yea, it's older and sluggish, but I've
    > upgraded to Windows XP, so it has generally worked just fine... Until
    > I bought my new Nikkon Coolpix 3200 digital camera. Whenever I plug
    > the camera into my computer, it literally crashes the machine. The
    > "New hardware found" message comes up in the lower corner, but then a
    > few seconds later it crashes and restarts.
    >
    > Nikkon told me that it was most likely an HP issue, and that I could
    > try to reload my USB Host Controller. I've uninstalled that and
    > reinstalled that, and still nothing. I called HP, and I'm outside of
    > my warranty, so they won't help me unless I give them an arm and a
    > leg.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Please post, or email me at
    > .
    >
    > Thank you for your help!
    >
    > Carl Sundermann

    This type of behavior is typical of a mis-installed driver for a USB
    device. WinXP needs to have the driver installed prior to connecting a
    USB device the first time, unless it is absolutely clear that the OS has
    a suitable device driver built in. Check the instructions for the
    recommended installation procedure for the camera and follow it to the
    letter.

    Since the camera has been connected, even with a crash, it is likely
    that XP has done one of its magic irrelevant device assignments for the
    camera connected to that one USB port. Expand Device Manager to View
    Hidden Devices, review carefully for anything having to do with a camera
    or any unknown device. Remove the USB root hubs and then the USB Host
    Controllers, in that order. Reboot and let the OS redetect the USB
    system. That should clear any and all USB devices. It might be
    necessary to recover the system to a prior date to help clear the
    problem. Then do a camera installation exactly as Nikon recommends -
    install driver from the CD, then connect camera the first time.

    Quaoar, Apr 9, 2004