Nikion D80 info here.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeteD, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    PeteD, Aug 9, 2006

  2. PeteD

    Bill Funk Guest

    Bill Funk, Aug 9, 2006

  3. PeteD

    ASAAR Guest

    On 8 Aug 2006 19:28:28 -0700, PeteD wrote:

    > The camera
    >
    > http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91
    >
    > and a new lens
    >
    > http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92
    >
    > Should be a wee bit of discussion on this one!!

    If there's anything to see. Those two pageids produce the shell
    of a Nikon web page but no information. By checking the News Room
    page, the article with the highest pageid is 88, which is for the
    article "Capture NX Trial Version has been released (17/07/2006)"

    Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
    made visible to USA based computers/browsers.
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2006
  4. PeteD

    frederick Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
    > made visible to USA based computers/browsers.

    Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to introduce the D80. Incorporating
    Nikon's latest digital and photographic technologies, this new
    high-performance interchangeable-lens digital SLR camera features
    automated operation and advanced features designed to satisfy any
    photographer with the passion to create beautiful photographs and
    preserve special moments.

    The D80 features a new 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image
    sensor, bringing a new level of high resolution and sharp detail to the
    class while also providing plenty of freedom to crop creatively and
    print impressive enlargements. Nikon's DX Format sensor and Nikon F
    bayonet lens mount design assure unprecedented compatibility across the
    comprehensive assortment of AF Nikkor lenses and DX Nikkor lenses
    designed exclusively for Nikon digital SLR cameras.

    One of the key advances developed for the D80 is Nikon's own
    high-resolution image processing engine. Advantages inherited from
    Nikon's latest professional digital SLR cameras include color
    independent analog pre-conditioning and high-precision 12-bit digital
    image processing algorithms, which combine to produce natural-looking
    images that benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction. A new
    dedicated high-performance processing chip greatly accelerates
    performance on all levels, while also achieving lower power consumption,
    assuring more pictures per battery charge.

    Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures accurate automatic
    exposure control for ideal exposures, even in the most challenging
    lighting conditions. Evaluating, rather than merely measuring or
    averaging the true content of each scene, input from the system's
    frame-wide 420-pixel sensor is automatically referenced against an
    onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography to
    calculate final exposure value. Variable center-weighted metering and
    spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available, as
    are exposure compensation and auto exposure bracketing. Sophisticated
    exposure automation combined with options for complete user control help
    to make the D80 an ideal high-performance digital SLR for passionate
    photography enthusiasts.

    Advanced Auto White Balance (AWB) produces natural coloration by
    measuring the entire frame of each scene and matching white balance to
    the light source. For those who wish greater personal control, the
    flexible options include a choice of six specific manual settings,
    (Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, and Shade),
    as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a reference.

    Ensuring consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting
    conditions is the D80's refined 11-area AF system. Adopting a refined
    version of Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module, this new
    11-area AF system adds effective new focusing options that will instill
    greater confidence in getting the desired shot. For example, while the
    system is able to use each of its 11 focus areas individually, the
    center sensor can also be switched to wide-frame operation for broader
    coverage. New Auto-area AF mode measures all 11 focus areas,
    automatically determines which of them are on the primary subject, and
    activates only those areas.

    Ready to shoot whenever that priceless expression or special moment
    presents itself, the D80 takes only 0.18 seconds to power up. And, the
    shutter's minimal release lag time of approx. 80 milliseconds delivers
    instant response while shooting, as does the fast and precise focus of
    the refined 11-area AF system with AF-assist illuminator. Images are
    processed instantly and recorded quickly to the inserted SD memory card.
    Preview images are also displayed near instantly.

    Continuous shooting at a rapid 3 frames per second in bursts of up to
    100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) images makes action photography a reality.

    Packing high performance and high resolution into a slimmer, more
    compact body, the D80 also remains true to Nikon's commitment to
    intuitive operation. The size, layout and operation of all buttons and
    controls are designed for maximum ease of use.

    The D80 features a large and bright viewfinder with large 0.94x
    magnification to ensure the clearest view possible for precise
    composition. Included is a built-in diopter adjustment control knob also
    makes it easier to fine-tune the view to match eyesight. The
    viewfinder's integrated grid display can also be turned on to assist
    composition.

    A large new 2.5-inch 230,000-dot high-resolution LCD provides an
    ultra-wide 170-degree viewing angle from all directions. A new dedicated
    Zoom button makes it easy to preview images and assess sharpness at up
    to 25 times magnification. A new RGB histogram display aids in
    evaluating exposures with greater precision. Other playback options
    include single frame, 4 or 9-image thumbnail display, an improved
    histogram display and highlight point display.

    The D80 also adds built-in Standard or Advanced Pictmotion slideshow
    options, which includes style selections that control transitions and
    background music. Shows can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete
    with audio on a television when connected via the supplied AV cable.

    A new menu interface featuring refinements to the carefully chosen color
    scheme and increased font size makes navigation easier on the eye,
    easier to understand and easier to use. Menus can be customized to
    display only selected items using the new "My Menu" set.

    Exclusive in-camera image editing features under the new Retouch menu
    help ensure consistently satisfying results and greater creative freedom
    without the use of a computer. D-Lighting automatically brings out
    detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all while optimizing
    overall exposure balance. Red-eye correction automatically detects and
    compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.
    Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater
    efficiency. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
    taken with the D80 to create a new composite image. Other options
    include Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and
    Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance).

    Multiple Exposure is a new shooting option that creates a single image
    within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures, producing an
    effect automatically that resembles multiple exposure techniques used
    with film.

    Creative photography is as simple as rotating the mode dial with the
    D80's selection of seven automated Digital Vari-Programs. Choose from
    Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape, or Night
    Portrait and the selected program automatically optimizes white balance,
    sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue settings to best
    match the shot. The D80 also offers personal control over image
    optimization settings, with user-selectable menu settings for the
    Normal, Softer, Vivid, More vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white
    options.

    The powerful built-in flash employs Nikon's highly robust i-TTL flash
    control for greater precision in flash exposure evaluation that achieves
    better automatic flash balance. i-TTL flash control also helps realize
    built-in features such as Repeating flash function for creating
    stroboscopic effects and the Modeling Flash, which allows photographers
    to visually assess overall lighting and shadow conditions prior to
    shooting. Full support for the Advanced Wireless Lighting System lets
    the built-in flash function as a two-group remote commander that
    provides direct control over wireless SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights.

    The inherent advantages of the D80 combine with the empowering and
    creatively inspiring components of Nikon's Total Digital Imaging System
    to deliver a new level of operating ease, expanded creative
    possibilities, and pure enjoyment. This of course begins with the lineup
    of interchangeable high-quality AF and DX Nikkor lenses. It extends to
    maximizing the potential of Nikon’s Creative Lighting System, offering
    benefits such as i-TTL flash control, Advanced Wireless Lighting, highly
    reliable FV Lock and Auto FP High-Speed Sync, and enabling
    high-precision flash photography with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200
    Speedlights.

    Convenient and practical Total Imaging System add-ons include the new
    MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack. Featuring an ergonomic design that
    blends added stability with extended shooting potential and more
    comfortable shooting in vertical format. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote
    Control and MC-DC1 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera
    stability when using long exposures, such as for landscape and macro
    photography.

    Nikon’s PictureProject software, provided with every purchase of a Nikon
    D80, enables easy image importing, editing, organization and sharing.
    Design templates make it easy to produce prints, tailor images to
    e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce creative album
    layouts.

    Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon’s highly
    versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed for
    those who desire more creative control over post-processing and to help
    photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an
    innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and
    visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image
    processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files
    to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.

    The Nikon D80 beautifully combines the best of latest advances in
    digital technology with ease of operation and quick and efficient camera
    handling. Add to this the advantages of Nikon's Total Imaging System and
    every aspiring photographer is certain to enjoy the Nikon digital SLR
    experience as much as the superb pictures produced with the D80.

    Note: Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any
    notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.

    Nikon D80 Major Features

    Exceptional imaging quality

    *
    New 10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor
    with the power to capture exceptional sharpness and faithful color at
    3,872 x 2,592 pixels size.
    *
    Inherits the industry-leading advanced imaging processing engine
    of Nikon professional D-SLR cameras. Color-independent pre-conditioning
    prior to A/D conversion works in harmony with high-precision digital
    image processing algorithms to produce natural-looking images that
    benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction.
    *

    3D Color Matrix Metering II automatic exposure control ensures
    ideal exposures in most lighting conditions. Evaluating brightness,
    color, contrast, selected focus area and camera-to-subject distance, the
    system references the data against an expanded onboard database created
    using data from more than 30,000 actual photographic scenes to instantly
    and accurately calculate the final exposure value for the shot. Variable
    center-weighted metering and spot metering centered on the active focus
    area are also available.
    *

    Refined 11-area AF system packs the same number of focus areas
    available for the professional D2 series into a space-efficient system
    that features fast, precise operation. Each of the 11 focus areas can be
    used individually, the center sensor can be switched to wide-frame
    operation for broader coverage, and new Auto-area AF mode measures all
    11 focus areas, automatically determines which of them are on the
    primary subject and activates only those areas.
    *

    ISO AUTO mode automatically adjusts sensitivity between ISO 100
    to 1600 to maximize available light and achieve optimal exposure.
    Sensitivity can also be set manually between ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of
    1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1. Three levels of High ISO Noise
    Reduction are available when shooting at high ISO settings. Long
    Exposure Noise Reduction is also available when shooting at shutter
    speeds of 8 seconds or slower.

    Optimized and Predictable Results

    *
    Seven automated Digital Vari-Programs easily accessed from the
    Mode Dial provide automatic operation that optimizes white balance,
    sharpening, tone, color, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results
    that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait,
    Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape and Night Portrait.
    *

    Easily accessed image optimization options closely tailor results
    to the scene at hand or the intended use of the image. Image sharpening,
    tone (contrast) compensation, color mode, saturation and hue adjustment
    is controlled by the user-selected choice of Normal, Softer, Vivid, More
    vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white.

    Immediate response and fast performance

    *
    Near instant power-up of 0.18 seconds lets photographers respond
    to any shutter opportunities.
    *

    A mere 80-millisecond shutter time lag (approximate) promotes
    fast handling.

    Swift continuous shooting performance at 3 frames per second*
    enables the shooting of up to 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) or up to
    6 RAW (NEF) images.
    * Average frame rate with continuous-servo AF, manual or
    shutter-priority auto exposure, a shutter speed of 1/250 seconds or
    faster, and remaining buffer memory.
    *

    Shutter speeds ranging from 1/4,000 to 30 seconds or bulb setting
    provide full creative control.

    In-camera image editing and effects

    *
    Creative in-camera effects and editing functions available under
    the new Retouch menu:

    D-Lighting automatically brings out detail to enhance
    results and add creative flair, all while optimizing overall exposure
    balance.

    Red-eye correction automatically detects and compensates
    for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.

    Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing
    or greater efficiency for specific end purposes.

    Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
    taken with the D80 to create a new composite image that can be saved in
    RAW or JPEG format.

    Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype)

    Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance)
    *

    Multiple Exposure creates a single image within the camera from
    up to 3 consecutive exposures to produce imaginative and even surreal
    results.

    Ergonomics for efficient handling and further versatility

    *

    The D80 features a slimmer, more compact body with the size,
    layout and operation of all buttons and controls designed for intuitive
    operation.
    *

    A large new 2.5-inch LCD monitor with a 170Ëš viewing angle and
    new dedicated zoom button assist accurate and easy assessment of
    sharpness by enabling image preview at up to 25 times magnification (for
    L-size images). Convenient displays include RGB information as a single
    histogram display or as separate histograms for each color channel.
    *

    Built-in slideshow options include Advanced Pictmotion shows with
    style selections that control transitions and background music, and that
    can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete with audio on a
    television via the supplied AV cable.
    *

    The carefully chosen color scheme and increased font size of the
    new color-coded menu display makes navigation easier on the eye, easier
    to understand and easier to use. "My Menu" lets you customize Menus to
    display only the items you wish to see.
    *

    Bright pentaprism viewfinder with large 0.94x magnification
    ensures the clearest view possible for precise composition.
    *

    Nikon's EN-EL3e rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers enough
    power to support the shooting of up to 2,700* images on a single charge,
    can be recharged at any time and features a handy real-time fuel gauge
    system display that shows remaining charge by percentage, number of
    shots since last charge and overall battery status.

    * Achieved under the following test conditions: Fully charged
    EN-EL3e battery; temperature of 20°C/68°F; Zoom-Nikkor AF-S DX 18-135mm
    f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens; continuous shooting mode: continuous-servo
    autofocus; image quality set to JPEG BASIC; image size set to Medium;
    shutter speed 1/250 second; shutter release pressed halfway for three
    seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times with
    each shot; monitor turned on for five seconds after six shots and then
    turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters turned off.

    Seamless integration with Nikon's Total Imaging System

    *

    Unprecedented compatibility with Nikon’s lineup of AF Nikkor
    lenses and digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. (When used with the D80
    or any DX Format SLR, all AF and DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle
    comparable to 1.5x that of 35mm [135] format.)
    *

    Compatibility with the Nikon Creative Lighting System allows the
    D80 to work seamlessly with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200 Speedlights to
    deliver the benefits of i-TTL flash control’s advanced monitor
    pre-flash, accurate measurement for bounce and versatile wireless
    operation. SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights also offer a Wide-Area
    AF-assist Illuminator, which aids flash photography in dim light by
    projecting a pattern of red light that covers all eleven autofocus areas
    of the D80’s 11-area Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module.
    *

    The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
    capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
    run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
    the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
    buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
    shooting more comfortable.

    * Compatible AA-size batteries comprise alkaline, Ni-MH, lithium
    and nickel-manganese batteries.
    *

    PictureProject (complimentary with camera) software features an
    intuitive user interface that provides fast and easy access to powerful
    tools for organizing, editing and sharing images. Auto Enhance and other
    creative functions are readily available via handy buttons, as are Mail,
    Slideshow and CD/DVD burning functions. Pictures can be organized using
    simple drag ‘n’ drop operation, and can be quickly located by name,
    keyword, or date. Design templates make it easy to produce prints,
    tailor images to e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce
    creative album layouts.
    *

    Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon’s highly
    versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed to
    frederick, Aug 9, 2006
  5. PeteD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:53:53 +1200, frederick wrote:

    Thanks for the information. I may be upgrading to a DSLR sooner
    than I expected. :)

    > Unprecedented compatibility with Nikon’s lineup of AF Nikkor
    > lenses and digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. (When used with the D80
    > or any DX Format SLR, all AF and DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle
    > comparable to 1.5x that of 35mm [135] format.)

    I wonder if the compatability with older AIs lenses is similar to
    that of the D70, or if it has the greater compatibility of the D200?
    And as for the lens's picture angle, I think that the announcement
    should indicate a smaller angle rather than one 1.5 times greater
    than the angle when used with 35mm FF format (film) cameras.
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2006
  6. PeteD

    cjcampbell Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:
    > >
    > > Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
    > > made visible to USA based computers/browsers.
    > >

    > The D80 features a new 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image
    > sensor,

    Okay, a new sensor? Not the D200 sensor? But reading about the rest of
    the "new" stuff it appears "new," as in "new to the D70."

    > One of the key advances developed for the D80 is Nikon's own
    > high-resolution image processing engine. Advantages inherited from
    > Nikon's latest professional digital SLR cameras include color
    > independent analog pre-conditioning and high-precision 12-bit digital
    > image processing algorithms, which combine to produce natural-looking
    > images that benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction. A new
    > dedicated high-performance processing chip greatly accelerates
    > performance on all levels, while also achieving lower power consumption,
    > assuring more pictures per battery charge.

    Okay, so it uses the EN-EL3e battery, as I thought. It also has the new
    processing chip. This will be a very fast camera. The bit about battery
    life is suspect.

    > Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures accurate automatic
    > exposure control for ideal exposures, even in the most challenging
    > lighting conditions.

    Indeed. This is by far the best metering system that I have ever seen.

    Evaluating, rather than merely measuring or
    > averaging the true content of each scene, input from the system's
    > frame-wide 420-pixel sensor is automatically referenced against an
    > onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography to
    > calculate final exposure value. Variable center-weighted metering and
    > spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available, as
    > are exposure compensation and auto exposure bracketing. Sophisticated
    > exposure automation combined with options for complete user control help
    > to make the D80 an ideal high-performance digital SLR for passionate
    > photography enthusiasts.

    So, basically all the same metering options as the D200.

    > Advanced Auto White Balance (AWB) produces natural coloration by
    > measuring the entire frame of each scene and matching white balance to
    > the light source. For those who wish greater personal control, the
    > flexible options include a choice of six specific manual settings,
    > (Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, and Shade),
    > as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a reference.

    Everything but the color temperature option in the D200.

    > Ensuring consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting
    > conditions is the D80's refined 11-area AF system. Adopting a refined
    > version of Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module, this new
    > 11-area AF system adds effective new focusing options that will instill
    > greater confidence in getting the desired shot. For example, while the
    > system is able to use each of its 11 focus areas individually, the
    > center sensor can also be switched to wide-frame operation for broader
    > coverage. New Auto-area AF mode measures all 11 focus areas,
    > automatically determines which of them are on the primary subject, and
    > activates only those areas.

    This is quicker and more accurate than the 7 zone system, but it takes
    some getting used to.

    > Ready to shoot whenever that priceless expression or special moment
    > presents itself, the D80 takes only 0.18 seconds to power up. And, the
    > shutter's minimal release lag time of approx. 80 milliseconds delivers
    > instant response while shooting, as does the fast and precise focus of
    > the refined 11-area AF system with AF-assist illuminator. Images are
    > processed instantly and recorded quickly to the inserted SD memory card.
    > Preview images are also displayed near instantly.

    Some people are already complaining about the SD card. I think it is
    only a problem if you are trading up from a D70 or some such.

    Again, faster than the D70.

    > Continuous shooting at a rapid 3 frames per second in bursts of up to
    > 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) images makes action photography a reality.

    I predicted 4 frames per second. Boo.

    > Packing high performance and high resolution into a slimmer, more
    > compact body, the D80 also remains true to Nikon's commitment to
    > intuitive operation. The size, layout and operation of all buttons and
    > controls are designed for maximum ease of use.

    Well, that explains the SD card. You can't have a small body and all
    that circuitry and still have room for a CF card. The buttons are
    mostly like those of the D70, with some rearrangement on the back. I
    particularly like the relocated garbage can button and putting the
    switch for the backlight for the top LCD on the power switch. I would
    have liked the mode dial eliminated and a mode button added like the
    D200.

    > The D80 features a large and bright viewfinder with large 0.94x
    > magnification to ensure the clearest view possible for precise
    > composition. Included is a built-in diopter adjustment control knob also
    > makes it easier to fine-tune the view to match eyesight. The
    > viewfinder's integrated grid display can also be turned on to assist
    > composition.

    The diopter adjustment control knob is really nice, much better than
    the slider on the D70. The D70 had a grid display. The viewfinder is
    probably brighter than the D70.

    > A large new 2.5-inch 230,000-dot high-resolution LCD provides an
    > ultra-wide 170-degree viewing angle from all directions. A new dedicated
    > Zoom button makes it easy to preview images and assess sharpness at up
    > to 25 times magnification. A new RGB histogram display aids in
    > evaluating exposures with greater precision. Other playback options
    > include single frame, 4 or 9-image thumbnail display, an improved
    > histogram display and highlight point display.

    The dedicated zoom button is an improvement over the D200 even. The
    display is what is available on the D200 and is a huge improvement over
    the D70. Now you can see not only that there are blown highlights, but
    which color is the problem.

    > The D80 also adds built-in Standard or Advanced Pictmotion slideshow
    > options, which includes style selections that control transitions and
    > background music. Shows can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete
    > with audio on a television when connected via the supplied AV cable.

    Is anyone really going to do this? Oh, just my favorite thing --
    watching a slide show on a 2.5 screen with background music. I wonder
    what the sound quality is like? Okay, fair warning: any of you clowns
    tries to force me to watch a slide show on his camera and I will throw
    it in the nearest lake.

    > A new menu interface featuring refinements to the carefully chosen color
    > scheme and increased font size makes navigation easier on the eye,
    > easier to understand and easier to use. Menus can be customized to
    > display only selected items using the new "My Menu" set.

    Could be handy for frequently referenced menu items such as flash mode
    and white balance.

    > Exclusive in-camera image editing features under the new Retouch menu
    > help ensure consistently satisfying results and greater creative freedom
    > without the use of a computer. D-Lighting automatically brings out
    > detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all while optimizing
    > overall exposure balance. Red-eye correction automatically detects and
    > compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.
    > Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater
    > efficiency. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
    > taken with the D80 to create a new composite image. Other options
    > include Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and
    > Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance).

    D200 only does BW. The other monochrome settings and filter effects are
    new, as are the red-eye correction. Most of these effects might only be
    available for JPG pictures.

    > Multiple Exposure is a new shooting option that creates a single image
    > within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures, producing an
    > effect automatically that resembles multiple exposure techniques used
    > with film.

    The D200 has something like this, too, but it allows ten exposures to
    be combined. I have no idea why anyone would do this in-camera.

    > Creative photography is as simple as rotating the mode dial with the
    > D80's selection of seven automated Digital Vari-Programs. Choose from
    > Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape, or Night
    > Portrait and the selected program automatically optimizes white balance,
    > sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue settings to best
    > match the shot. The D80 also offers personal control over image
    > optimization settings, with user-selectable menu settings for the
    > Normal, Softer, Vivid, More vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white
    > options.

    Although it does not seem like it is much different than the D70, it
    is. The image optimization settings are considerably easier to use than
    the D70 and much like the D200.

    > The powerful built-in flash employs Nikon's highly robust i-TTL flash
    > control for greater precision in flash exposure evaluation that achieves
    > better automatic flash balance. i-TTL flash control also helps realize
    > built-in features such as Repeating flash function for creating
    > stroboscopic effects and the Modeling Flash, which allows photographers
    > to visually assess overall lighting and shadow conditions prior to
    > shooting. Full support for the Advanced Wireless Lighting System lets
    > the built-in flash function as a two-group remote commander that
    > provides direct control over wireless SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights.

    Well! I predicted that it would still control only one group. This is a
    nice surprise. Odd that the SB-R200 Speedlights are not mentioned. The
    other features are pretty much what I thought.

    > The inherent advantages of the D80 combine with the empowering and
    > creatively inspiring components of Nikon's Total Digital Imaging System
    > to deliver a new level of operating ease, expanded creative
    > possibilities, and pure enjoyment. This of course begins with the lineup
    > of interchangeable high-quality AF and DX Nikkor lenses. It extends to
    > maximizing the potential of Nikon's Creative Lighting System, offering
    > benefits such as i-TTL flash control, Advanced Wireless Lighting, highly
    > reliable FV Lock and Auto FP High-Speed Sync, and enabling
    > high-precision flash photography with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200
    > Speedlights.

    Now the SB-R200 Speedlights are mentioned.

    > Convenient and practical Total Imaging System add-ons include the new
    > MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack. Featuring an ergonomic design that
    > blends added stability with extended shooting potential and more
    > comfortable shooting in vertical format. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote
    > Control and MC-DC1 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera
    > stability when using long exposures, such as for landscape and macro
    > photography.

    Great! As I predicted, it uses the same cute little ML-L3 wireless
    clicker that the D70 uses. I wish the D200 could use it. Instead, the
    D200 has to have the very expensive ML-3 wireless controller, which is
    big and it occupies the flash shoe. Granted, the ML-3 can do amazing
    things, like trip when an animal or object moves between the controller
    and the sensor, and the ML-3 has a bulb function, but what you get in
    power and flexibility you more than lose in convenience.

    > Nikon's PictureProject software, provided with every purchase of a Nikon
    > D80, enables easy image importing, editing, organization and sharing.
    > Design templates make it easy to produce prints, tailor images to
    > e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce creative album
    > layouts.

    It is incredible to me that Nikon considers the inclusion of
    PictureProject something that makes the camera more valuable.

    > Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon's highly
    > versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed for
    > those who desire more creative control over post-processing and to help
    > photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an
    > innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and
    > visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image
    > processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files
    > to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.

    Well, let's advertise every other product Nikon makes, too! Seriously,
    though: Capture NX is a huge improvement over Capture 4.x

    > ISO AUTO mode automatically adjusts sensitivity between ISO 100
    > to 1600 to maximize available light and achieve optimal exposure.
    > Sensitivity can also be set manually between ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of
    > 1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1. Three levels of High ISO Noise
    > Reduction are available when shooting at high ISO settings. Long
    > Exposure Noise Reduction is also available when shooting at shutter
    > speeds of 8 seconds or slower.

    Much better noise reduction options than the D70, but not as good as
    the D200. High ISO settings in this context will mean ISO 400 or above.

    > Swift continuous shooting performance at 3 frames per second*
    > enables the shooting of up to 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) or up to
    > 6 RAW (NEF) images.

    Not as fast as the D200, but still fast. Probably it will use only
    compressed NEF images.

    > The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
    > capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
    > run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
    > the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
    > buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
    > shooting more comfortable.

    The battery pack will make that guy who likes to use only AA batteries
    happy.

    > * Compatible AA-size batteries comprise alkaline, Ni-MH, lithium
    > and nickel-manganese batteries.

    Apparently no picture verification feature for law enforcement use.
    cjcampbell, Aug 9, 2006
  7. PeteD

    cjcampbell Guest

    cjcampbell, Aug 9, 2006
  8. PeteD

    ASAAR Guest

    On 8 Aug 2006 23:33:38 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:

    >> The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
    >> capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
    >> run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
    >> the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
    >> buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
    >> shooting more comfortable.
    >>

    > The battery pack will make that guy who likes to use only AA batteries
    > happy.

    Hmm. Could be me, but that wouldn't be accurate. I'd happily use
    a single Li-Ion battery, whether the original that comes with the
    camera, or one that replaces it several years later. The battery
    pack would ensure that the unavailability of batteries (whether in
    some remote corner of the globe today or any location at some time
    decades in the future) wouldn't turn the D80 into a paperweight.
    Having one would also eliminate the need to ever get one or more
    EN-EL3e backup battery packs, which for my usage would present no
    limitation at all, and would cut the recurring battery expense
    (every 2 or 3 years) at least in half.

    > Apparently no picture verification feature for law enforcement use.

    That's slated for the D90. The D80 is Nikon's new Reuters "Issam
    Kobeisi" Signature Model. Complete with in-camera editing features,
    it allows shots that other photo journalists can only dream of . . .
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2006
  9. David J Taylor, Aug 9, 2006
  10. PeteD

    frederick Guest

    cjcampbell wrote:

    > Also here:
    > http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25412
    >
    > Hmph. They want $100 more than I thought it would cost.

    Give it a few months...
    Not a great idea IMO to impulse buy such an item until the dust settles
    down a bit. On paper it looks like a very nice upgrade for D50/70 users:

    D200 viewfinder
    MLU Exposure delay mode
    RGB Histogram
    CAM-1000 11 point AF
    Custom program button

    Nice stuff.
    frederick, Aug 9, 2006
  11. PeteD

    Joan Guest

    Like manufacturing double exposure in camera?

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Aug 9, 2006
  12. PeteD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:43:04 +1000, Joan wrote:

    > : That's slated for the D90. The D80 is Nikon's new Reuters "Issam
    > : Kobeisi" Signature Model. Complete with in-camera editing features,
    > : it allows shots that other photo journalists can only dream of . . .
    >
    > Like manufacturing double exposure in camera?

    Well, yes. And more! Although that was written tongue-in-cheek,
    it's literally true:

    :: Exclusive in-camera image editing features under the new Retouch menu
    :: help ensure consistently satisfying results and greater creative freedom
    :: without the use of a computer. D-Lighting automatically brings out
    :: detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all while optimizing
    :: overall exposure balance. Red-eye correction automatically detects and
    :: compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.
    :: Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater
    :: efficiency. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
    :: taken with the D80 to create a new composite image. Other options
    :: include Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and
    :: Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance).
    ::
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2006
  13. PeteD

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:53:53 +1200, frederick <> wrote:

    >ASAAR wrote:
    >>
    >> Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
    >> made visible to USA based computers/browsers.
    >>

    >Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to introduce the D80. Incorporating
    >Nikon's latest digital and photographic technologies, this new
    >high-performance interchangeable-lens digital SLR camera features
    >automated operation and advanced features designed to satisfy any
    >photographer with the passion to create beautiful photographs and
    >preserve special moments.

    The difference a day makes! :)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 9, 2006
  14. Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  15. PeteD

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 2006/8/9 12:32 AM, "Bill Funk" <> wrote:

    > Not using IE of Firefox.

    Hmm... Both links work fine for me, using either Safari or Firefox 1.0.6 .
    Robert Haar, Aug 10, 2006
  16. There is no AI linkage - for that you need the D200.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 11, 2006