Night sky on Long Island

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cynicor, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Aug 28, 2008

  2. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >> I took this around 10PM last night in Montauk NY. That's not sunset - it's
    >> haze and sodium light pollution which is encroaching from more populous
    >> areas to the west.
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360487072_ebrsb-XL.jpg

    > Yow! That jumps at one. Good work, there.

    Thanks - the sky is so beautiful here. It's about the only dark sky site
    south of Maine.

    Milky Way (f/2.8, ISO800, 90 sec, fisheye)
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360661263_sKntp-L.jpg

    Jupiter in Sagittarius
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360666364_rDqwu-L.jpg

    The Dippers
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360514416_tSZ7R-L.jpg

    Cynicor, Aug 28, 2008

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> I took this around 10PM last night in Montauk NY. That's not sunset -
    >> it's haze and sodium light pollution which is encroaching from more
    >> populous areas to the west.
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360487072_ebrsb-XL.jpg

    > Cool. Spooky.
    >
    > Esp. like the car lights aiming at the heart of it...
    >
    > Seeya in the shootin?

    It's surprisingly difficult to stay out of the way of a 180 degree
    fisheye lens!

    I took some more just now, this time down at Montauk Point.

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/1670838_oY7Bs#361005658_LSgBL-XL-LB

    Cynicor, Aug 29, 2008