    was looking for one that can take good shots of the night sky....with
    exposures up to several minutes. Any recommendations would be
    appreciated. ($500 - $1000 range) Thanks.

    cloud dreamer, Aug 13, 2004

  2. cloud dreamer

    [BnH] Guest

    Canon Digital Rebel is your only option for mins of almost noiseless
    exposure.

    =bob=

    "cloud dreamer" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at replacing my aging Minolta X-GA for a digital camera and
    > was looking for one that can take good shots of the night sky....with
    > exposures up to several minutes. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    > ($500 - $1000 range) Thanks.

    ---

    [BnH], Aug 13, 2004

  3. cloud dreamer

    grim Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote
    > Canon Digital Rebel is your only option for mins of almost noiseless
    > exposure.

    Bah! I'd go with a Nikon D70. Hands-down better than the Canon 300D.

    grim, Aug 13, 2004
  4. grim wrote:

    > "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote
    >
    >>Canon Digital Rebel is your only option for mins of almost noiseless
    >>exposure.

    > Bah! I'd go with a Nikon D70. Hands-down better than the Canon 300D.

    Enough to justify a $500 in cost compared to the Rebel?

    ..

    cloud dreamer, Aug 13, 2004
  5. cloud dreamer wrote:

    > grim wrote:
    >
    >> "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote
    >>
    >>> Canon Digital Rebel is your only option for mins of almost noiseless
    >>> exposure.

    >> Bah! I'd go with a Nikon D70. Hands-down better than the Canon 300D.
    >>

    > Enough to justify a $500 in cost compared to the Rebel?

    That should read "a $500 difference in cost" ... in Canadian dollars.
    $1400 for the Rebel and $1900 for the Nikon.

    ..

    cloud dreamer, Aug 13, 2004
  6. cloud dreamer

    Matt Ion Guest

    Just got some great star-shots last night on my Digital Rebel. Was trying
    for some meteor streaks, but alas, the Perseids were not cooperating.

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 13, 2004
  7. cloud dreamer

    grim Guest

    "cloud dreamer" <> wrote

    > grim wrote:
    >
    > > "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote
    > >
    > >>Canon Digital Rebel is your only option for mins of almost noiseless
    > >>exposure.

    > > Bah! I'd go with a Nikon D70. Hands-down better than the Canon 300D.
    > >

    > Enough to justify a $500 in cost compared to the Rebel?

    It shouldn't be that much of a difference. Buy mail-order from the U.S.,
    regardless of which camera you buy. But yes, the D70 does justify the cost
    premium compared to the Canon. Check out the reviews at dpreview.com to
    compare them.

    But, if all you want the camera for is to take astro pictures, then don't
    even bother with an expensive digital camera. Get yourself a web-cam and
    some astro software to combine hundreds of frames into a single image. It's
    amazing the detail you can capture with a setup like that. Check out the
    amateur astro groups for details.

    I presume you're planning to equatorial mount the camera to take sky
    pictures. If you're shooting for several minutes or longer, you'll need to,
    otherwise all you'll get is star trails (which get boring real quick). If
    you don't plan to mount the camera, then just get a digicam that has a wide
    aperature and a 15 second or so shutter speed. Something like an Olympus
    C5050 or C4040 or Canon G3.

    grim, Aug 13, 2004
  8. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:11:57 -0230, cloud dreamer
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking at replacing my aging Minolta X-GA for a digital camera and
    >was looking for one that can take good shots of the night sky....with
    >exposures up to several minutes. Any recommendations would be
    >appreciated. ($500 - $1000 range) Thanks.

    Nikon D-70 or the Canon Digital Rebel. Both work well.
    I've run 20 minute exposures on the D-70 with the noise reduction
    turned on. Worked just fine. I use the remote with the shutter set
    to bulb. It can do up to 30 seconds in the regular mode.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 13, 2004
  9. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:19:27 GMT, "Matt Ion" <>
    wrote:

    >Just got some great star-shots last night on my Digital Rebel. Was trying
    >for some meteor streaks, but alas, the Perseids were not cooperating.

    I was out between 2:00 and about 2:45 EDT in Central Lower Michigan.
    I was seeing about 5 a minute for a good portion of that time. Every
    few minutes there'd be a bright one where even the smoke in the trail
    was visible due to the ionization.

    The sky was absolutely clear which makes in one of only about 5 to 10
    we get per year. You could even see the dust lanes in the Milky Way
    (Our Galaxy).

    Roger Halstead, Aug 13, 2004
  10. cloud dreamer

    [BnH] Guest

    I am a Nikon nut .. but when its time for long exposure ..
    for < USD 1000 cam , 300D CMOS sensor wins hands down compared to the D70 ;)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Aug 13, 2004
  11. cloud dreamer

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Roger Halstead <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:19:27 GMT, "Matt Ion" <>
    >wrote:

    >>Just got some great star-shots last night on my Digital Rebel. Was trying
    >>for some meteor streaks, but alas, the Perseids were not cooperating.

    >I was out between 2:00 and about 2:45 EDT in Central Lower Michigan.
    >I was seeing about 5 a minute for a good portion of that time. Every
    >few minutes there'd be a bright one where even the smoke in the trail
    >was visible due to the ionization.

    >The sky was absolutely clear which makes in one of only about 5 to 10
    >we get per year. You could even see the dust lanes in the Milky Way
    >(Our Galaxy).

    Hmmm. Not in New York City. There are clear nights when we
    see two or three stars, most of which turn out to be Venus...

    :)

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 13, 2004