    Do I really need a tripod everytime I'm gonna take a photo at night?, or is
    the Ixus series simply not very good in those conditions?

    /Daniel
    Icarus ^i^, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Icarus ^i^

    Marli Guest

    Yes you will need a tripod.

    Marli, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Icarus ^i^

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:43:16 +0200, in this august
    forum, "Icarus ^i^" <> said:

    >I just bought a Canon Ixus400 and love it :) I do have problems getting
    >decent shots at night though... since this is my first digital camera and
    >I'm a newbie in photography in general I was wondering if I could get some
    >tips here...

    Sure.

    >Almost all my shots at night get blurry.. I've been trying to experiment
    >with the settings, changing shutter speed, ISO speed etc but they always
    >turn out blurry, especially objects far away like taking a photo of a
    >cityscape at night.
    >Do I really need a tripod everytime I'm gonna take a photo at night?

    Yep, but that's true of most cameras, not just the little ones. But
    anything that'll keep the camera rock steady for the entire exposure
    will work too. Try putting it on a table/box/whatever, then firing the
    self-timer. You should then get nice, sharp cityscapes. The bonus is
    that if you do that, you can turn the ISO right down to 100 & get very
    little noise, which will make for much better photos than even a
    handheld pro camera can do under the same conditions.

    >, or is
    >the Ixus series simply not very good in those conditions?

    I don't imagine that it's much better or worse than any other digital in
    the same price range.

    Lionel, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Icarus ^i^

    Icarus ^i^ Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll invest in a small tripod and experiment
    some more. Too bad I have to wait till december to get back to Singapore and
    try it on the cityscape there :) All my night-shots from there was blurry
    when I checked them back home.

    /Daniel
    Icarus ^i^, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Icarus ^i^

    Icarus ^i^ Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    :: Why don't I take the Singapore nightscape for you and email them to
    :: you. I live there :) Just kidding. For such a tiny camera,

    Kidding about living there too? Well, if you are, you're a lucky b**tard ;)
    I'll move there next year though so I can wait... love the place.

    /Daniel
    Icarus ^i^, Aug 30, 2003