    TonyH Guest

    Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    techniqes for digital night photography?

    TonyH, Dec 1, 2004

  2. TonyH

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:41:11 -0000, "TonyH" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    >techniqes for digital night photography?

    Depends on what your taking a photo of. A good tripod helps.

    YAG-ART, Dec 1, 2004

  3. TonyH

    Crownfield Guest

    TonyH wrote:

    > Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    > techniqes for digital night photography?

    hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.

    same rules as for film, only easier.

    tripod is good.
    higher asa can be good.
    white balance- custom can be good.

    think. if it looks as bright here as there,
    you can try metering either place.
    your meter and your judgement are your allies.

    after a trial shot,
    manual exposure and adjustment may work well.

    asa 1600, 1/60, and 2.8
    work as a starting point in dimly lit areas,
    like dim lobbies.

    Crownfield, Dec 1, 2004
  4. TonyH

    turbo Guest

    > > Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    > > techniqes for digital night photography?

    > hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.
    >
    > same rules as for film, only easier.
    >
    > tripod is good.
    > higher asa can be good.
    > white balance- custom can be good.
    >
    > think. if it looks as bright here as there,
    > you can try metering either place.
    > your meter and your judgement are your allies.
    >
    > after a trial shot,
    > manual exposure and adjustment may work well.
    >
    > asa 1600, 1/60, and 2.8
    > work as a starting point in dimly lit areas,
    > like dim lobbies.

    Take a small torch with you, trying to read LCD's in low light and small
    screens is a pain.. (presuming your camera has some sort of 'settings
    LCD)......Use timer release of the shutter, even on a tripod to avoid that
    camera shake at the start of exposure.

    turbo, Dec 1, 2004
  5. TonyH

    TonyH Guest

    Thanks for the replies so far.

    One main reason is for Las Vegas, obviously pics of the hotels at night etc.
    Also general night photography on mainly still subjects.

    I am using a Canan Powershot A70 3.2 megapixel camera.

    Thank You

    TonyH, Dec 1, 2004
  6. TonyH

    Guest

    Bright city street 1/30sec f2.8
    Night-club lights 1/30sec f2.8
    Neon signs 1/30sec f4
    Subjects by street light 1/4sec f2
    Floodlight buildings 1sec f4
    Skyline buildings 4sec f2.8
    Skyline 10 mins after sunset 1/30sec f4
    Fairs/amusement parks 1/5sec f2
    Park rides 4sec f16
    Fireworks 10sec f16
    Burning building 1/30sec f2.8
    Campfire 1/30sec f2.8
    Subject by campfire 1/8sec f2
    Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2
    Snow scenes 15sec f2
    Exposing the moon 1/125sec f8

    These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    , Dec 1, 2004
  7. TonyH

    Tony Guest

    This is film based but digital based is simpler (except that many cameras
    cannot do looooooong exposures so those are out. Just follow the guidelines
    and adjust exposure according to results.
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mniteshot.html

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 1, 2004
  8. "TonyH" <> writes:

    > Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    > techniqes for digital night photography?

    The one really key point: use a tripod.

    Then, what are you photographing? Las Vegas level neon? Moonlit
    landscape? Cityscape with car lights? Fireworks? Lightning?

    An important point with car lights and fireworks and other *quickly
    moving* light sources: The aperture largely controls *how thick a
    line* the moving light traces. The shutter speed controls how many or
    how long the lines are, NOT how bright they are.

    For most of these, fairly slow ISO settings, like 100, work very
    nicely.

    With digital, you get immediate feedback, and at night have little
    trouble seeing the LCD (but remember it's gonna look tremendously
    bright; use the histogram!), so get out there and play around!

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 1, 2004
  9. TonyH

    Ken Tough Guest

    wrote:

    >Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2

    >These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    >thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
    moon phase?

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Dec 2, 2004
  10. TonyH

    Ron Hunter Guest

    TonyH wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies so far.
    >
    > One main reason is for Las Vegas, obviously pics of the hotels at night etc.
    > Also general night photography on mainly still subjects.
    >
    > I am using a Canan Powershot A70 3.2 megapixel camera.
    >
    > Thank You

    As mentioned before, a good tripod. Use the camera's 'night' setting,
    if it has one, or the shutter priority setting, and do a lot of
    experimenting. You may need a better camera for really good shots under
    the difficult conditions you describe.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2004
  11. TonyH

    Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:43:12 +0200, Ken Tough <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2

    >>These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    >>thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    >Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
    >moon phase?

    Ya' think? Gawd, there always has to be one!

    , Dec 2, 2004
  12. TonyH

    ZONED! Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:27:35 GMT, wrote:

    >Bright city street 1/30sec f2.8
    >Night-club lights 1/30sec f2.8
    >Neon signs 1/30sec f4
    >Subjects by street light 1/4sec f2
    >Floodlight buildings 1sec f4
    >Skyline buildings 4sec f2.8
    >Skyline 10 mins after sunset 1/30sec f4
    >Fairs/amusement parks 1/5sec f2
    >Park rides 4sec f16
    >Fireworks 10sec f16
    >Burning building 1/30sec f2.8
    >Campfire 1/30sec f2.8
    >Subject by campfire 1/8sec f2
    >Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2
    >Snow scenes 15sec f2
    >Exposing the moon 1/125sec f8
    >
    >These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    >thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    Also, knowing what ISO this list is based on would't hurt.

    ZONED!, Dec 2, 2004
  13. TonyH

    ZONED! Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:40:47 -0800, Crownfield <>
    wrote:

    >TonyH wrote:
    >>
    >> Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    >> techniqes for digital night photography?

    >hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.
    >
    >same rules as for film, only easier.
    >
    >tripod is good.
    >higher asa can be good.
    >white balance- custom can be good.
    >
    >think. if it looks as bright here as there,
    >you can try metering either place.
    >your meter and your judgement are your allies.

    For beginners metering sparse light at night is often difficult. I
    might suggest exposing a stop or 2 under reading taken near light
    sources then bracketing the first several tries until your judgement
    develops. If possible use a laptop when practicing it will offer a
    better indication of what is actually captured than a tiny LCD screen.

    ZONED!, Dec 2, 2004
  14. TonyH

    ZONED! Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:00:44 GMT, "turbo" <>
    wrote:

    >> > Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
    >> > techniqes for digital night photography?

    >> hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.
    >>
    >> same rules as for film, only easier.
    >>
    >> tripod is good.
    >> higher asa can be good.
    >> white balance- custom can be good.
    >>
    >> think. if it looks as bright here as there,
    >> you can try metering either place.
    >> your meter and your judgement are your allies.
    >>
    >> after a trial shot,
    >> manual exposure and adjustment may work well.
    >>
    >> asa 1600, 1/60, and 2.8
    >> work as a starting point in dimly lit areas,
    >> like dim lobbies.

    >Take a small torch with you,

    In America just bring a flashlight ;o)

    > trying to read LCD's in low light and small
    >screens is a pain.. (presuming your camera has some sort of 'settings
    >LCD)......Use timer release of the shutter, even on a tripod to avoid that
    >camera shake at the start of exposure.

    mirror lock up if you have it.
    long exposure noise reduction if you have it.

    ZONED!, Dec 2, 2004
  15. TonyH

    Owamanga Guest

    wrote:

    >Take a small torch with you, trying to read LCD's in low light and small
    >screens is a pain.. (presuming your camera has some sort of 'settings
    >LCD)......Use timer release of the shutter, even on a tripod to avoid that
    >camera shake at the start of exposure.

    In the US, a torch is flames on a stick like the olympic torch. Take
    one of those with you and you'll probably be arrested.

    More important than a flashlight, always take a big knife to stab the
    muggers with. Small handgun works too.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Dec 2, 2004
  16. TonyH

    Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:13:43 GMT, no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:27:35 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>Bright city street 1/30sec f2.8
    >>Night-club lights 1/30sec f2.8
    >>Neon signs 1/30sec f4
    >>Subjects by street light 1/4sec f2
    >>Floodlight buildings 1sec f4
    >>Skyline buildings 4sec f2.8
    >>Skyline 10 mins after sunset 1/30sec f4
    >>Fairs/amusement parks 1/5sec f2
    >>Park rides 4sec f16
    >>Fireworks 10sec f16
    >>Burning building 1/30sec f2.8
    >>Campfire 1/30sec f2.8
    >>Subject by campfire 1/8sec f2
    >>Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2
    >>Snow scenes 15sec f2
    >>Exposing the moon 1/125sec f8
    >>
    >>These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    >>thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    >Also, knowing what ISO this list is based on would't hurt.

    sorry about that, 100 ISO.

    , Dec 2, 2004
  17. TonyH

    Terence Guest

    "TonyH" <> wrote in message news:<41ae3c3f$0$1068$>...
    > Thanks for the replies so far.
    >
    > One main reason is for Las Vegas, obviously pics of the hotels at night etc.
    > Also general night photography on mainly still subjects.
    >
    > I am using a Canan Powershot A70 3.2 megapixel camera.
    >
    > Thank You

    As others have pointed out, shooting with a tripod will be your best
    bet. I've taken some decent night shots with my A75. I just played
    around with the manual settings.

    http://www.pbase.com/auriga_m38/glen_erin

    hth,
    Terence

    Terence, Dec 2, 2004
  18. TonyH

    Ken Tough Guest

    wrote:

    >On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:43:12 +0200, Ken Tough <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2

    >>>These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
    >>>thses settings should produce acceptable results.

    >>Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
    >>moon phase?

    >Ya' think? Gawd, there always has to be one!

    My point is, what's the point in suggesting any settings?
    You might as well just say "pick a number".

    HTH,

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Dec 2, 2004
  19. TonyH

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Ken Tough <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    >>>Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
    >>>moon phase?

    >>Ya' think? Gawd, there always has to be one!

    >My point is, what's the point in suggesting any settings?
    >You might as well just say "pick a number".

    There is one point. I suspect (without looking it up)
    that the moon moves enough in 30 seconds to blur an
    image.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Dec 2, 2004
  20. TonyH

    Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:42:47 +0200, Ken Tough <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>>Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
    >>>moon phase?

    >>Ya' think? Gawd, there always has to be one!

    >My point is, what's the point in suggesting any settings?
    >You might as well just say "pick a number".
    >
    >HTH,

    Maybe you could enlighten us with the settings you use to shoot a
    moonlight landscape at 100 ISO

    , Dec 2, 2004