Night of the Living Dead (cheap DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Modemac, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Modemac

    Modemac Guest

    Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
    the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
    Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
    and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
    big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
    "Kingdom of the Spiders," and a bare-bones, no-frills DVD of "Night of
    the Living Dead." I haven't watched the DVD of Shatner's epic yet
    (It'll be perfect for bringing to X-Day!), but I was pleasantly
    surprised when I took a glance at "Night of the Living Dead." The DVD
    has no special features or extras at all, but what it does have is the
    original movie itself -- with a picture that is surprisingly crisp and
    clear (for this price), with decent sound to boot. I was
    half-expecting it to be grainy, scratched, and full of hissing sound,
    but it turned out to be a pretty good quality copy of the movie! If
    you come across the DVD at your local Wal-Mart, and it has a cover
    that looks like this:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/102-1008406-9793750?v=glance&s=dvd

    then go ahead and buy it! For a steal, you'll get a decent quality
    DVD print of one of the greatest horror movies of all time!
    Modemac, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Modemac

    Writer R5 Guest

    I am not saying that you did not get a good deal, but I think Elite
    Entertainment's "Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition" is the
    definitive DVD version and while it might cost a few dollars more, fans of this
    film should check it out.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    Writer R5, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Modemac

    K2 Guest

    On 01 Nov 2003 03:50:31 GMT, ospam (Writer R5) wrote:

    >I am not saying that you did not get a good deal, but I think Elite
    >Entertainment's "Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition" is the
    >definitive DVD version and while it might cost a few dollars more, fans of this
    >film should check it out.

    It's got to be better than the "Platinum Disc Corporation" version I
    got at Tower Records for about $7. It's misleadingly labeled as a
    "Classic Collector's Edition." The disc also contains "Carnival Of
    Souls" from 1962. I thought it was too good to be true and it was.

    The picture quality is good in both films, but the red Platinum logo
    keeps popping up in the lower corner throughout each feature. The
    jacket is slick and has no warning about the logo. It was like
    watching something dubbed from cable.

    K2
    K2, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Hi Modemac. That's quite a deal. I just bought the DVD of "Night"...for
    $4.99 at Best Buy
    an electronics chain here in NY. Watched it yesterday. Missed the social
    commentary on my previous viewings of many years ago. Cheers, Rick :)

    --
    Jazz Guitarist/Educator
    Check out lessons and original music @
    Rick Del Savio, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Modemac

    Wade365 Guest

    << The picture quality is good in both films, but the red Platinum logo
    keeps popping up in the lower corner throughout each feature. >>

    And they said we were crazy on the "Bullwinkle" DVD set thread...

    "IT HAS BEGUN."

    (Bugs on DVD issue).
    Wade365, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Modemac

    Cernovog Guest

    In article <>,
    (Modemac) wrote:

    > I was pleasantly
    > surprised when I took a glance at "Night of the Living Dead." The DVD
    > has no special features or extras at all, but what it does have is the
    > original movie itself -- with a picture that is surprisingly crisp and
    > clear (for this price), with decent sound to boot.

    I bought this last year. I originally saw "Night of the Living Dead"
    when I was a kid, late at night on broadcast TV.

    What I enjoyed most about this DVD was that it was the full version
    of the movie. The broadcast movie had a lot of the gore cut out. I was
    pleasantly surprised. I had no idea the version I watched on TV was cut.
    Then again, I was only like 12 years old.

    NOTLD was a real treat to own and watch again. For five bucks, this
    was definitely a gem.
    Cernovog, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Modemac

    unglued Guest

    (Modemac) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
    > the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
    > Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
    > and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
    > big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
    > "Kingdom of the Spiders,"

    For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
    "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling ;))
    unglued, Nov 2, 2003
  8. unglued wrote:
    > (Modemac) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
    >>the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
    >>Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
    >>and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
    >>big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
    >>"Kingdom of the Spiders,"

    > For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
    > "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling ;))

    One word: Rocketman.

    --
    Dean for America
    http://www.deanforamerica.com
    Reverend Vertigo, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Modemac

    Scott Munro Guest

    http://www.emuchrist.org/bitrot/articles/worstsongever.html

    --
    Conservatism is the ideology of reality.
    Scott Munro, Nov 2, 2003
  10. Modemac

    Joe Cosby Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:27:42 GMT, Reverend Vertigo
    <> wrote:

    >unglued wrote:
    >> (Modemac) wrote in message news:<>...
    >>
    >>>Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
    >>>the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
    >>>Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
    >>>and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
    >>>big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
    >>>"Kingdom of the Spiders,"

    >> For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
    >> "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling ;))

    >One word: Rocketman.

    Somebody digitized the video of him doing this on TV and uploaded it
    somewhere, I've seen it but I don't seem to have saved a copy. It's
    pretty funny.

    --
    Joe Cosby
    http://joecosby.home.mindspring.com

    "If someone is so fearful that, that they're going
    to start using their weapons to protect their rights,
    it makes me very nervous that these people have
    these weapons at all!"
    --Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) on MSNBC.

    from
    ----------------------
    http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
    ----------------------
    Joe Cosby, Nov 2, 2003
  11. And he looks so seriuos while he's 'singing' it in that video.

    Spock, I must go down to the planet
    and investi gate the sit uation now.

    Rev. 11D Meow!, Nov 2, 2003
  12. Modemac

    Wade365 Guest

    << For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
    >"Lucy in the sky with diamonds" >>

    Shatner's singing isn't nearly as funny now that he's actually playing to the
    joke.
    Wade365, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Modemac wrote:

    > Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
    > the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter

    I and mine refer to this bin as the "DVD Dumpster," since digging through it
    makes you feel a little like a bum digging for rejected semi-valuables. It
    works on several levels.

    Couple weeks ago, I found a copy of Wall Street in there for $4.49... with a
    full-length director's commentary track. I'm a sucker for commentary tracks and
    Ollie Stone. Slack injection.

    Reverend Vertigo, Nov 2, 2003