Nifty (free) utility that addresses a lot of questions asked here.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,

    It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.

    You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
    vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call home"
    features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

    Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing the
    Registry or other complex tasks.

    Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things, and it
    works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all, it's free,
    reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just download the zip
    version, extract, and run it.

    SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm

    Here's a screen shot: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif
    Direct Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip

    They even have a nice codecs package.
    http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...

    > I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,
    >
    > It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.
    >
    > You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
    > vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call
    > home" features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and
    > Outlook Express.
    >
    > Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing
    > the Registry or other complex tasks.
    >
    > Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things,
    > and it works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all,
    > it's free, reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just
    > download the zip version, extract, and run it.
    >
    > SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm
    >
    > Here's a screen shot:
    > http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif Direct
    > Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip
    >
    > They even have a nice codecs package.
    > http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

    Have you used it much, Unk ?

    I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
    applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:57:34 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    <> wrote:

    >Unk posted ...
    >
    >> I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,
    >>
    >> It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.
    >>
    >> You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
    >> vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call
    >> home" features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and
    >> Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing
    >> the Registry or other complex tasks.
    >>
    >> Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things,
    >> and it works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all,
    >> it's free, reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just
    >> download the zip version, extract, and run it.
    >>
    >> SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm
    >>
    >> Here's a screen shot:
    >> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif Direct
    >> Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip
    >>
    >> They even have a nice codecs package.
    >> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

    >Have you used it much, Unk ?
    >
    >I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
    >applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

    Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen is
    related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download codecs
    automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP Tools, Options,
    menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but the box remains
    grayed-out.

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <> wrote:
    >>Have you used it much, Unk ?
    >>
    >>I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
    >>applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

    >Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen is
    >related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download codecs
    >automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP Tools, Options,
    >menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but the box remains
    >grayed-out.

    I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
    In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
    Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
    Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <> wrote:
    >>> Have you used it much, Unk ?
    >>>
    >>> I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever
    >>> wanted' applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it
    >>> on a spare box.

    >> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
    >> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
    >> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
    >> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
    >> the box remains grayed-out.
    >>

    > I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
    > In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
    > Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
    > Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

    Yeah .. just been trying it and found the same .. but I didn't fix it ..
    thanks ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <> wrote:
    >>> Have you used it much, Unk ?
    >>>
    >>> I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever
    >>> wanted' applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it
    >>> on a spare box.

    >> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
    >> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
    >> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
    >> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
    >> the box remains grayed-out.
    >>

    > I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
    > In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
    > Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
    > Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

    Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.

    When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
    installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
    seconds ..

    Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.

    Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
    user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:41:09 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    <> wrote:

    >Unk posted ...

    >>> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
    >>> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
    >>> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
    >>> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
    >>> the box remains grayed-out.
    >>>

    >> I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
    >> In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
    >> Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
    >> Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

    >Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.
    >
    >When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
    >installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
    >seconds ..
    >
    >Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.
    >
    >Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
    >user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance .. ;)

    That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
    In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
    pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation
    file to be wiped at shutdown.

    It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! :))

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:41:09 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    > <> wrote:

    >> Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and
    >> what the user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance
    >> .. ;)

    > That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
    > In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
    > pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
    > hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown.
    >
    > It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! :))

    Yeah, just been finding that out .. ;)

    As I said, not really a bug, but maybe a bit too much for a 'Safe' tweak
    style utility. Some new users may not shut down and restart often enough to
    associate the change with the check made in this program .. so worth
    pointing out I reckon.

    ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:17:21 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    <> wrote:
    >> That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
    >> In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
    >> pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
    >> hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown.
    >>
    >> It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! :))

    >Yeah, just been finding that out .. ;)
    >
    >As I said, not really a bug, but maybe a bit too much for a 'Safe' tweak
    >style utility. Some new users may not shut down and restart often enough to
    >associate the change with the check made in this program .. so worth
    >pointing out I reckon.
    >
    >;)

    Too long even for a security wipe. You REALLY have to be paranoid to use
    it. If you MUST, use "verbose.vbs" to see what Windows is doing behind
    those shutdown and startup screens so you know it didn't freeze up.
    Line #69 (Right side) 'Startup/Shutdown/Logon/Logoff Status Messages'

    Direct: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/verbose.vbs

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  10. > Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.

    > When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
    > installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
    > seconds ..
    >
    > Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.
    >
    > Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
    > user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance .. ;)
    >

    > --
    > Paul
    >
    > (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Thanks Paul.
    I had the same problem and thought my pc had crashed.
    I had just installed kaspersky antivirus and thought it might have been
    something to do with that.

    Thanks again Paul

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 23, 2004
  11. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else. posted ...

    >> Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.
    >>
    >> When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my
    >> XP installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of
    >> about 4 seconds ..
    >>
    >> Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.
    >>
    >> Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and
    >> what the user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance
    >> .. ;)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)
    >>

    > Thanks Paul.
    > I had the same problem and thought my pc had crashed.
    > I had just installed kaspersky antivirus and thought it might have
    > been something to do with that.
    >
    > Thanks again Paul

    No worries .. ;)

    That's why I like newsgroups .. one problems solution can lead to another
    problems resolution, similar symptoms often have similar causes .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 23, 2004