    attributed to a dirty or scratched disc. Has anyone had a similar problem
    with this movie?

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003

  2. Mark B.

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Man, it's amazing that a player that old still works! It's time for an
    upgrade, man. You're about 5 generations behind, which is why you'll have
    trouble with some discs.

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > I rented Nicholas Nickleby, it's a 2-sided disc with WS on one side & P&S

    on
    > the other. WS side wouldn't play no matter what, but oddly enough P&S

    side
    > did. Took it back, exchanged it for a different disc, same thing. This

    is

    Pug Fugley, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Mark B.

    Mark B. Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > Man, it's amazing that a player that old still works! It's time for an
    > upgrade, man. You're about 5 generations behind, which is why you'll have
    > trouble with some discs.

    Well, like I said it's the first time I've ever had trouble. I hate
    upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. To me, it's a waste of money to
    upgrade something that works. But maybe it's time.

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003
  4. Mark B.

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mark B." <> wrote:

    > I rented Nicholas Nickleby, it's a 2-sided disc with WS on one side & P&S on
    > the other. WS side wouldn't play no matter what, but oddly enough P&S side
    > did. Took it back, exchanged it for a different disc, same thing. This is
    > the first time I've had a problem with the Panasonic A120 that couldn't be
    > attributed to a dirty or scratched disc. Has anyone had a similar problem
    > with this movie?

    I had the exact same problem with my Panasonic A101. I couldn't figure
    out why the P&S side played yet the widescreen side didn't. I do know
    the laser was going bad in it and that was part of the problem. The
    laser in yours is likely going bad as well considering your player is
    nearly as old as mine. I'm afraid you're gonna need to get a new player
    now. I purchased a Panasonic S35 from Best Buy for $100 and love it. No
    problems at all with it.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 24, 2003
  5. >I had the exact same problem with my Panasonic A101. I couldn't figure
    >out why the P&S side played yet the widescreen side didn't. I do know
    >the laser was going bad in it and that was part of the problem. The
    >laser in yours is likely going bad as well considering your player is
    >nearly as old as mine. I'm afraid you're gonna need to get a new player
    >now. I purchased a Panasonic S35 from Best Buy for $100 and love it. No
    >problems at all with it.

    I would say that it is more a firmware issue than a pickup issue, although your
    DVD-A101 (or is it actually an A-110, if you typoed the model no.) may be prone
    to develop problems with the pickup since first and second gen Panasonics had
    real problems with that.

    The DVD-A120 is a third gen with improved reliability over its previous models.
    I would first try to see if the disc is defective before assuming it as a
    player problem. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 24, 2003