    that it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems
    to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni
    Cads that get longer use each time won't work so well?

    joevan, Sep 10, 2010

  2. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 06:27:27 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on the charger for
    > 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at least every other day for that
    > time ( with periods on no use for weeks at a time. I am amazed that the
    > Ni Cad battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact that it
    > stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems to me that
    > is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni Cads that get
    > longer use each time won't work so well?

    I bought a Norelco triple head back in 1982. This was their top of the
    line model with LCD display on it. I've used that thing every day up
    until earlier this year when I switched over to a cheaper model Noreleco
    without the bells and whistles but using the same shaving heads. The 1982
    shaver would only give me about 10 minutes shave time before I had to
    plug it into AC. New was over 35 minutes and it did last every second of
    that 35 minute indicator on the shaver LCD. But I've always had some sort
    of chin hair I didn't shave, goatee, Foo Man Chu, soul patch, and a
    mustache. So a shave for me was not quite 2 minutes. I didn't have to
    charge that old thing for over two weeks when it was new. Now it was
    lasting 5 days. I guess generally speaking the battery they put into
    these and their charging systems are of a high quality because you can't
    just simply pop the back off and replace the battery. Now that my son has
    some chin hair to keep groomed I'm going to seek out a new battery for my
    old trusty shaver and replace it along with the cutters. Those you can
    get at Walmart or the likes.

    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2010

  3. joevan

    Jordon Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on the charger
    > for 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at least every other day for
    > that time ( with periods on no use for weeks at a time. I am amazed
    > that the Ni Cad battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact
    > that it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems
    > to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni
    > Cads that get longer use each time won't work so well?

    When you first used it I bet it would go for a couple of weeks
    without being charged. I bet it won't last more than two shavings
    now.

    Jordon, Sep 10, 2010
  4. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on
    > the charger for 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at
    > least every other day for that time ( with periods on no
    > use for weeks at a time. I am amazed that the Ni Cad
    > battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact that
    > it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long.
    > Seems to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent
    > charging for other Ni Cads that get longer use each time
    > won't work so well?

    Unless the NiCad gets to zero, it will supposedly recharge up to
    1,000 times. It IS possible that even with 10 years of ever y
    other day use you did not cross the 1,000 barrier, OR the batt.
    is so well made that it survived past the 1K recharge estimate.
    Also, it takes about 2-3 months (or more) for an unused battery
    to run down /completely/ and die.

    It is better to let them run down to barely working, then fully
    recharge. Leaving batt in the charger/plugged in all the time is
    OK for Li-Ion but not for the old types like NiCad.

    Wonders never cease.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Sep 10, 2010
  5. joevan

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: joevan
    <> wrote:

    > I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on the charger
    > for 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at least every other day for
    > that time ( with periods on no use for weeks at a time. I am amazed
    > that the Ni Cad battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact
    > that it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems
    > to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni
    > Cads that get longer use each time won't work so well?

    I've experienced the same effect with an Oral-B electric toothbrush that
    sits on the charging stand when not in use.

    I attribute the apparent long life to the fact that it's only used for
    about 3 minutes at a time.

    If you care, you might try taking the shaver off the charger and see how
    many shaves you get from it.

    My razor's a Norelco with a LiIon battery that gets a charge only when
    it tells me it needs one. A year in, more or less, it still goes about a
    month between charges.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Sep 10, 2010
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:51:27 -0700, Jordon
    <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on the charger
    >> for 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at least every other day for
    >> that time ( with periods on no use for weeks at a time. I am amazed
    >> that the Ni Cad battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact
    >> that it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems
    >> to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni
    >> Cads that get longer use each time won't work so well?

    >When you first used it I bet it would go for a couple of weeks
    >without being charged. I bet it won't last more than two shavings
    >now.

    Ya know, I think I will keep doing as in the past and see just how
    long it will go. I have some other plug in razors that I use
    sometimes. I wonder how much longer it will go now that I thought
    about it and mentioned it here.

    joevan, Sep 10, 2010
  7. joevan

    NotMe Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    >I have a small Remington Electric razor that has been on the charger
    > for 9 years or maybe 10 or longer, used at least every other day for
    > that time ( with periods on no use for weeks at a time. I am amazed
    > that the Ni Cad battery is still going strong. I wonder if the fact
    > that it stays on the charger stand is keeping it going so long. Seems
    > to me that is the case. Then I guess frequent charging for other Ni
    > Cads that get longer use each time won't work so well?

    Much depends on the design of the battery AND the charger. I would put more
    credit to the charger. Real world few shavers need a quick charge and fewer
    still have a brute force keep alive change.

    In my experience consumer grade NiCad's last for 3 typical up to 5 (unusual)
    years before they are effectively toast. I have industrial NiCad
    applications where the batteries last 20+ years. Again it's design and
    charger processing that make the difference but this is not limited to NiCad
    batteries as it applies to all batteries.

    NotMe, Sep 10, 2010