    people with too much time on their hands...

    --
    Do Goldfish say "Never Again"?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=, Sep 27, 2005

  2. Don't know that particular motherboard, but you might doublecheck on the VIA
    site for updated drivers (www.viaarena.com). OTOH, yes, you _do_ have a 1394
    NIC -- all 1394 controllers act as a NIC and are seen as such by Windows.
    Pay no attention, unless you actually use 1394 networking.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 27, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    www.viaarena.com lists 64-bit drivers for this chip-set but Abit doesn't
    yet.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did download all the latest via 64 bit
    drivers from the viaarena.com site (including the main chipset
    drivers/lan/audio etc) - but this isn't a driver issue, it is an issue with
    XP64. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

    --
    Do Goldfish say "Never Again"?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=, Sep 27, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Sorry:
    I can't help further because I don't have a system with Via drivers, Just
    Nvidia and Ati at the present time with no LAN errors yet.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 27, 2005
  6. no, if it doesn't see the card, then it's a driver issue.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 27, 2005
  7. HI Charlie,
    Maybe you're right. What I see is that the onboard lan driver is shipped as
    32 bit. The 64 bit driver is available - but XP64 will not allow me to update
    the driver - because it doesn't recognise the 32 bit NIC and reports that it
    isn't there to update.
    If it were possible to upgrade the driver from dos, then I'd expect a
    result. As it is - the only solution is to go and buy a new PCI NIC that has
    been proven to work with XP64.

    --
    Do Goldfish say "Never Again"?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=, Sep 27, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    I think you are misunderstanding something fundamental here...

    There is no such animal as a "32 bit NIC" (nor is there a 64 bit NIC) it is
    just a NIC, plain and simple.

    Charlie is right, It IS a driver issue (or a hardware issue) and NOT a WinXP
    x64 issue. You shouldn't be even trying to install the 32bit driver that
    came with your hardware and in any case, x64 won't let you.

    Do you see a yellow blob with an exclamation mark in it next to "unknown",
    in device manager? (system properties).

    In other words, is your NIC actually being detected at the hardware level by
    x64 Windows?

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 27, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2FsbA==?=

    milsabords Guest

    Hi,
    Please check if the NIC is enabled in the CMOS settings.
    Good luck, Fred

    news: ...

    milsabords, Sep 27, 2005
  10. :)