    USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
    stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
    NIC?
    wabbit, Dec 1, 2010

  2. wabbit

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:37:00 -0500, wabbit wrote:

    > I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
    > computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
    > card or the built in to the motherboard variety. And both times no
    > amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem for that matter)
    > gets it to show up in device manager. One was running Vista the other
    > XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault. On one machine I even wiped the hd
    > and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.
    >
    > The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
    > USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
    > stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
    > NIC?

    You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet refused to give him some Pooh-tang.
    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010

  3. wabbit

    wabbit Guest

    On 11/30/2010 10:36 PM, Dan C wrote:
    >> On one machine I even wiped the hd
    >> and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.

    > You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

    Thank you Dan for both the advice and reading comprehension.
    wabbit, Dec 1, 2010
  4. wabbit

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:38:11 -0500, wabbit wrote:

    > On 11/30/2010 10:36 PM, Dan C wrote:

    >>> On one machine I even wiped the hd
    >>> and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.

    >> You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

    > Thank you Dan for both the advice and reading comprehension.

    Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    Didn't think so.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he hacked up a hairball.
    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010
  5. wabbit

    Peter Foldes Guest

    > On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    > "I even wiped the hd"
    >
    >>Didn't think so.

    > Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    > someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    > their hard drive.

    Evan

    Reason the arshole is doing it because he is a Linux user and advocate. A Troll by other means

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    Peter Foldes, Dec 1, 2010
  6. wabbit

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    **** off, Evan.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Dec 1, 2010
  7. wabbit

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "wabbit" <> wrote in message
    > I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
    > computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
    > card or the built in to the motherboard variety. And both times no amount
    > of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem for that matter) gets it to
    > show up in device manager. One was running Vista the other XP, but I doubt
    > it's the OS at fault. On one machine I even wiped the hd and reinstalled
    > the OS trying to get a network card to work.
    >
    > The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a USB
    > > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs

    > stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
    > NIC?

    Sorry, no experience of this. I'm sure you've checked this, but out of
    curiosity is the NIC listed under "Network adapters" in Device Manager? If
    it was then would deleting it from there and letting Device Manager do a
    rescan help?
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Dec 1, 2010
  8. wabbit

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:48:58 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    > "I even wiped the hd"
    >
    >>Didn't think so.

    > Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    > someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    > their hard drive.

    Blinded by revenge. He gets his ass handed to him so often he takes his
    revenge out on anyone.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010
  9. wabbit

    Mike Easter Guest

    wabbit wrote:
    > I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
    > computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
    > card or the built in to the motherboard variety.

    Does 'the computer can ... no longer see the' NIC mean that during the
    POST that -1- the mobo integrated NIC doesn't even show and -2- the PCI
    card NIC doesn't show and -3- the PCI card NIC also doesn't show when
    moved to a different PCI slot and -4- that the PCI card NIC can be
    demonstrated to work in another machine.

    Or is your investigation limited to what the OS can see as alluded in
    the next 'device manager' sentence and the PCI card NIC was never proven
    to work in another different machine?

    > And both times no amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup
    > modem for that matter) gets it to show up in device manager. One was
    > running Vista the other XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault.

    Besides watching the POST and even pausing during the POST, another
    strategy is to boot up a linux live CD to see how it does with
    discovering the hardware.

    > On one machine I even wiped the hd and reinstalled the OS trying to
    > get a network card to work.

    If that didn't need to be done for some other reason, it wasn't as
    useful as the BIOS or a live CD would be.

    > The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
    > USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
    > stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
    > NIC?

    I would have to personally observe the troubleshooting which included a
    proven known good NIC to begin to guess. NICs die all the time.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 1, 2010
  10. wabbit

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Peter Foldes <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    >> "I even wiped the hd"
    >>
    >>>Didn't think so.

    >> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    >> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    >> their hard drive.

    >Evan

    >Reason the arshole is doing it because he is a Linux user and advocate. A Troll by other means

    The reason he trolls any group he's in is because he's a troll.
    Are you clueless because you use windows? After all RtS also
    uses Windows.

    Mike "is it flawed logic if it isn't logic at all?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Dec 1, 2010
  11. wabbit

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:48:58 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    > "I even wiped the hd"

    Ummmm. Nope. "Wiped" does not equal "formatted". Sorry.

    >>Didn't think so.

    > Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    > someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    > their hard drive.

    Wrong, dimwit n00b. I can "wipe" a drive without formatting it. So
    could you, if you knew anything about computers, which you obviously do
    not.

    Run along, feeb. You lose.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.
    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010
  12. wabbit

    Dan C Guest

    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010
  13. wabbit

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:20:27 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:48:58 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

    >> "I even wiped the hd"
    >>
    >>>Didn't think so.

    >> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    >> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    >> their hard drive.

    > Blinded by revenge. He gets his ass handed to him so often he takes his
    > revenge out on anyone.

    LOL! Another senseless post by the Meat Plod.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he strafed the lifeboats.
    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010
  14. wabbit

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:10:46 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:20:27 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:48:58 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> "I even wiped the hd"

    >>> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
    >>> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
    >>> their hard drive.

    >> Blinded by revenge. He gets his ass handed to him so often he takes his
    >> revenge out on anyone.

    > LOL! Another senseless post by the Meat Plod.

    I'll never catch up to you in that department, Revenge Prick.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010
  15. wabbit

    wabbit Guest

    On 12/1/2010 7:56 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
    > wabbit wrote:
    >> I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers.
    >> The computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an
    >> expansion card or the built in to the motherboard variety.

    > Does 'the computer can ... no longer see the' NIC mean that during the
    > POST that -1- the mobo integrated NIC doesn't even show and -2- the PCI
    > card NIC doesn't show and -3- the PCI card NIC also doesn't show when
    > moved to a different PCI slot and -4- that the PCI card NIC can be
    > demonstrated to work in another machine.
    >
    > Or is your investigation limited to what the OS can see as alluded in
    > the next 'device manager' sentence and the PCI card NIC was never proven
    > to work in another different machine?

    For reasons of brevity I didn't include everything I tried. One thing I
    tried was removing a known good working NIC from a machine running
    Redhat and trying it. Since the Redhat machine had two NICs, I tried
    them both, first one then the other. The computer in question at no
    point gave any indication that it had detected either NIC. They both
    work fine back in the Redhat computer.

    >> And both times no amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem
    >> for that matter) gets it to show up in device manager. One was running
    >> Vista the other XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault.

    > Besides watching the POST and even pausing during the POST, another
    > strategy is to boot up a linux live CD to see how it does with
    > discovering the hardware.
    >
    >> On one machine I even wiped the hd and reinstalled the OS trying to
    >> get a network card to work.

    > If that didn't need to be done for some other reason, it wasn't as
    > useful as the BIOS or a live CD would be.

    No, it wasn't useful since it didn't solve the problem. Had it for some
    reason solved the problem I would have been happy I had done it and
    would never have asked my question on this fine forum.

    >> The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
    >> USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard
    >> NICs stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion
    >> card type NIC?

    > I would have to personally observe the troubleshooting which included a
    > proven known good NIC to begin to guess. NICs die all the time.

    Yes, they do. But you seem to miss the entire point of my question,
    which is the original ethernet port went dead and attempting to install
    multiple NICs one at a time did not solve the problem, only using a USB
    to ethernet adapter worked. It isn't a matter of dead NICs, it's a
    matter of the computer stopped recognizing any NIC with any OS installed.
    wabbit, Dec 1, 2010
  16. wabbit

    Mike Easter Guest

    wabbit wrote:

    >>> I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers.
    >>> The computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an
    >>> expansion card or the built in to the motherboard variety.

    > For reasons of brevity I didn't include everything I tried. One thing I
    > tried was removing a known good working NIC from a machine running
    > Redhat and trying it. Since the Redhat machine had two NICs, I tried
    > them both, first one then the other. The computer in question at no
    > point gave any indication that it had detected either NIC. They both
    > work fine back in the Redhat computer.

    And did you try either of the known good NICS in another different PCI
    slot? And when you say the computer in question didn't give any
    indication you are still leaving us to guess whether or not the BIOS saw
    it. You have good NIC/s. Then you need to see if you have a good slot
    for a NIC.

    I can't think of a special kind of hardware problem that causes a mobo
    to not be able to see/use PCI NICs when it is able to use the same PCI
    slot for something else.

    If this is a current problem you are investigating, it is worth talking
    about. If you aren't currently working on it, I see no point in
    discussing something which you don't have you hands on any more.

    > Yes, they do. But you seem to miss the entire point of my question,
    > which is the original ethernet port went dead and attempting to install
    > multiple NICs one at a time did not solve the problem, only using a USB
    > to ethernet adapter worked. It isn't a matter of dead NICs, it's a
    > matter of the computer stopped recognizing any NIC with any OS installed.

    Maybe you just solved your problem by using the USB NIC rather than
    doing enough troubleshooting to find that you had a PCI slot where a
    good NIC would work.

    There's nothing wrong with solving a problem even tho' all of the
    possibilities weren't ruled out, but it leaves questions unanswered in
    your mind.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 1, 2010
  17. wabbit

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:22:06 -0500, wabbit wrote:

    > The computer in question at no
    > point gave any indication that it had detected either NIC. They both
    > work fine back in the Redhat computer.

    Did you install the requisite drivers before or after you inserted each
    card?

    Aardvark, Dec 1, 2010
  18. wabbit

    Disbelief Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 00:56:34 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >
    >> Reason the arshole is doing it because he is a Linux user

    > What's an "arshole"?
    >
    > Bugger off, limey.

    It's where you seem to keep your brains - not so sure what you use your
    skull cavity for - ah it must be where you store the excrement you spout.

    Sex and travel to you Yank!
    Disbelief, Dec 1, 2010