    Industrious Guest

    How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    charger if that matters.

    Industrious, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Industrious

    Jeremy Guest

    It would all depend on what rate you are charging them,
    if they are new 230mAh for 16hrs, Standard charge 1.3Amp 120mins.
    as a guide, assuming these are at least AA size or larger if they are larger
    ie.sub c you could charge at 2.4 for 60 mins.

    Prehaps someone else would like to verify this as I would hate to put you
    wrong.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Aug 1, 2004

  3. On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:06 +1200, "Industrious" <>
    wrote:

    >How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >charger if that matters.

    If its a decent Charger it will tell you..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 1, 2004
  4. Industrious

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:32:42 +1200, Jeremy wrote:

    > It would all depend on what rate you are charging them,
    > if they are new 230mAh for 16hrs, Standard charge 1.3Amp 120mins.
    > as a guide, assuming these are at least AA size or larger if they are larger
    > ie.sub c you could charge at 2.4 for 60 mins.
    >
    > Prehaps someone else would like to verify this as I would hate to put you
    > wrong.

    As long as the temp of the battery does not exceed 45 degrees C then all
    is okay.

    Ni-MH batteries are like their cousins NiCads, in many respects with
    regard to the charging.

    Li-ion batteries are are different beast.

    Google eh?

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Industrious

    Daver Guest

    You have to be careful with Ni-MH as unlike Ni-Cad they don't cope well with
    overcharging therefore the lower rates are safer. If your charger doesn't
    have a timer or full charge detector then this becomes more important.

    Daver, Aug 1, 2004
  6. On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:52:03 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:32:42 +1200, Jeremy wrote:
    >
    >> It would all depend on what rate you are charging them,
    >> if they are new 230mAh for 16hrs, Standard charge 1.3Amp 120mins.
    >> as a guide, assuming these are at least AA size or larger if they are larger
    >> ie.sub c you could charge at 2.4 for 60 mins.
    >>
    >> Prehaps someone else would like to verify this as I would hate to put you
    >> wrong.
    >>

    >As long as the temp of the battery does not exceed 45 degrees C then all
    >is okay.
    >
    >Ni-MH batteries are like their cousins NiCads, in many respects with
    >regard to the charging.

    Bollocks they are not..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 1, 2004
  7. On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:06 +1200, "Industrious" <>
    wrote:

    >How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >charger if that matters.

    Pro what...?

    They have a model number..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 1, 2004
  8. In article <>, The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:06 +1200, "Industrious" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >>charger if that matters.

    DO NOT USE TIME FOR CHARGING.
    If the charger cant tell when to go to trickle mode (or turn off)then get a
    better one.
    Overcharging will ruin the batts.
    goto
    www.batteryuniversity.com & find out all you need to know

    Steve Robertson, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Industrious

    John Potter Guest

    <> wrote:

    >How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >charger if that matters.

    Does your charger have some kind of manual? You could try reading
    that. If you fished it out of your neighbour's wheelie bin, try 5
    hours, probably ok from flat. If that stuffs the batteries try less
    next time.

    There are basically three types of Ni-MH charger -

    1. Very cheap. They just charge. Set the charger going then go to
    the pub and you'll probably come back to overcharged (stuffed)
    batteries.

    2. Not quite so cheap. They charge for a fixed time, 5 hours or so,
    then maybe go on to trickle charge. Ok if you completely discharge
    your batteries before charging. You can get those ones from Dick
    Smith, I think about $60.

    3. A real one. Will monitor the state of the battery and recharge
    only till recharged. You can get these ones mail order from
    www.ecobatteries.co.nz Not much more than Dick Smith, his batteries
    are half DS price. I've got a feeling he operates out of his basement
    but he's honest, I've bought from him.

    John

    John Potter, Aug 2, 2004

  10. >There are basically three types of Ni-MH charger -

    >1. Very cheap. They just charge. Set the charger going then go to
    >the pub and you'll probably come back to overcharged (stuffed)
    >batteries.
    >
    >2. Not quite so cheap. They charge for a fixed time, 5 hours or so,
    >then maybe go on to trickle charge. Ok if you completely discharge
    >your batteries before charging. You can get those ones from Dick
    >Smith, I think about $60.

    Either of these will stuff the batteries.
    I had the 2nd type. Fried the batts after about 5 charges, they also
    popped & "vented" ruining the charger & my camera.

    Steve Robertson, Aug 3, 2004
  11. Industrious

    Chris Guest

    John Potter <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:06 +1200, "Industrious"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >>charger if that matters.

    > Does your charger have some kind of manual? You could try reading
    > that. If you fished it out of your neighbour's wheelie bin, try 5
    > hours, probably ok from flat. If that stuffs the batteries try less
    > next time.

    Would that be an example of an "expensive learning curve" ? :)

    > There are basically three types of Ni-MH charger -
    >
    > 1. Very cheap. They just charge. Set the charger going then go to
    > the pub and you'll probably come back to overcharged (stuffed)
    > batteries.
    >
    > 2. Not quite so cheap. They charge for a fixed time, 5 hours or so,
    > then maybe go on to trickle charge. Ok if you completely discharge
    > your batteries before charging. You can get those ones from Dick
    > Smith, I think about $60.

    No, DSE's $60 charger S8905 has the -delta voltage cut off. Even their
    $40 model claims (in a round-a-bout way) to do the same.

    > 3. A real one. Will monitor the state of the battery and recharge
    > only till recharged. You can get these ones mail order from
    > www.ecobatteries.co.nz Not much more than Dick Smith, his batteries
    > are half DS price. I've got a feeling he operates out of his basement
    > but he's honest, I've bought from him.
    >
    > John

    The GP brand (that DSE sell) is quite good, they are an OEM battery
    manufacturer.

    Chris, Aug 3, 2004
  12. Industrious

    John Potter Guest

    On 3 Aug 2004 18:02:42 +1200, Chris <> wrote:

    >John Potter <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:06 +1200, "Industrious"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How long to charge 2300 mAh Ni-MH batteries? Using a Lenmar nomem Pro
    >>>charger if that matters.

    >> Does your charger have some kind of manual? You could try reading
    >> that. If you fished it out of your neighbour's wheelie bin, try 5
    >> hours, probably ok from flat. If that stuffs the batteries try less
    >> next time.

    >Would that be an example of an "expensive learning curve" ? :)

    Could be Chris. I thought 5 hrs would be on the safe side for most
    chargers though, and ecobatteries batteries are only $5 each.

    >> There are basically three types of Ni-MH charger -
    >>
    >> 1. Very cheap. They just charge. Set the charger going then go to
    >> the pub and you'll probably come back to overcharged (stuffed)
    >> batteries.
    >>
    >> 2. Not quite so cheap. They charge for a fixed time, 5 hours or so,
    >> then maybe go on to trickle charge. Ok if you completely discharge
    >> your batteries before charging. You can get those ones from Dick
    >> Smith, I think about $60.

    >No, DSE's $60 charger S8905 has the -delta voltage cut off. Even their
    >$40 model claims (in a round-a-bout way) to do the same.

    Looks like they've upped their quality. The one I bought from them a
    while back makes no mention of voltage cut off, just time then
    trickle. I'd not had problems with it, I just wanted to recharge
    partly discharged batteries. The Maha charger from ecobatteries also
    detects defective batteries and doesn't attempt to charge them, seemed
    like a good feature to me.

    John Potter, Aug 3, 2004
  13. Industrious

    Chris Guest

    John Potter <> wrote in

    > On 3 Aug 2004 18:02:42 +1200, Chris <> wrote:
    >
    >>John Potter <> wrote in

    >>> Does your charger have some kind of manual? You could try reading
    >>> that. If you fished it out of your neighbour's wheelie bin, try 5
    >>> hours, probably ok from flat. If that stuffs the batteries try less
    >>> next time.

    >>Would that be an example of an "expensive learning curve" ? :)

    > Could be Chris. I thought 5 hrs would be on the safe side for most
    > chargers though, and ecobatteries batteries are only $5 each.
    >
    >>> There are basically three types of Ni-MH charger -
    >>>
    >>> 1. Very cheap. They just charge. Set the charger going then go to
    >>> the pub and you'll probably come back to overcharged (stuffed)
    >>> batteries.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Not quite so cheap. They charge for a fixed time, 5 hours or so,
    >>> then maybe go on to trickle charge. Ok if you completely discharge
    >>> your batteries before charging. You can get those ones from Dick
    >>> Smith, I think about $60.

    >>No, DSE's $60 charger S8905 has the -delta voltage cut off. Even their
    >>$40 model claims (in a round-a-bout way) to do the same.

    > Looks like they've upped their quality. The one I bought from them a
    > while back makes no mention of voltage cut off, just time then
    > trickle. I'd not had problems with it, I just wanted to recharge
    > partly discharged batteries. The Maha charger from ecobatteries also
    > detects defective batteries and doesn't attempt to charge them, seemed
    > like a good feature to me.

    There are actually 3 posible charging states when charging NImH batteries,
    Holding - where the charge current is enough to stop self discharge, tricle
    - which is just a low rate of charge (and might take around 16 hours to re
    charge a battery) and Charge - which would normally be some kind of
    "forced" charge over a period shorter than 16 hours. The acual charge
    current depends on the capacity of the cell and the time over which you
    want to charge it - this applies to "timed" charging. On the other hand,
    if you have a "smart" charger it would detect the change in cell voltage
    that occurs when the cell is fully charged, then change to a different
    charge state - trickle, then to holding or straight to holding. If you had
    a partly discharged cell and put in into a "smart" charger it would charge
    it up, detect the change in cell voltage then switch off or change charge
    states. If you do that with a "timed" charger you run the risk of damage
    to the battery if it's a "forced" timed charge, however this doen't have to
    apply to the case of trickle charging a battery as the charging current is
    much lower. In pratice, it is more likely the battery would fail from old
    age or misuse before failing from over trickle charging.

    Chris, Aug 4, 2004