    Is this wise to do? Asking cuz not sure if it is, or what it may get me
    in terms of increased speed, etc?

    Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Herb

    Z Guest

    Herb wrote:
    > Firefox: Anyone know what this is?==> nglayout.initialpaint.delay

    The time delay before FF/Mozilla begins "painting" the display.

    > Was told it could be added under about:config by right-clicking there
    > and selecting
    > 1) New -> Integer., and then
    > 2) Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”. This
    > value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on
    > information it receives.
    >

    > Is this wise to do? Asking cuz not sure if it is, or what it may get me
    > in terms of increased speed, etc?

    Your images will begin displaying slightly faster but, on a page with
    many images, the entire page will take longer to display.

    Is that wise? Some people say yes, others say no.

    Z, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox: Anyone know what this is?==> nglayout.initialpaint.delay

    > The time delay before FF/Mozilla begins "painting" the display.
    >

    >> Is this wise to do? Asking cuz not sure if it is, or what it may get
    >> me in terms of increased speed, etc?

    > Your images will begin displaying slightly faster but, on a page with
    > many images, the entire page will take longer to display.

    ===================

    Z, Concerning last statement above, it is true of any page with more
    images... that it'll take longer to display them, than one with less
    images. My concern about doing this is:

    Is the bang for the buck worth it ?
    vs.
    The risk of making this change and fudging up how FF works overall.

    My thinning is that if doing this is such a good thing to do, why isn't
    it in the default FF settings?

    --
    Herb

    Herb, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Herb wrote:
    > Z wrote:
    >
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Firefox: Anyone know what this is?==> nglayout.initialpaint.delay

    >> The time delay before FF/Mozilla begins "painting" the display.
    >>

    >>> Is this wise to do? Asking cuz not sure if it is, or what it may get
    >>> me in terms of increased speed, etc?

    >> Your images will begin displaying slightly faster but, on a page with
    >> many images, the entire page will take longer to display.
    >>

    > ===================
    >
    > Z, Concerning last statement above, it is true of any page with more
    > images... that it'll take longer to display them, than one with less
    > images. My concern about doing this is:
    > Is the bang for the buck worth it ?
    > vs.
    > The risk of making this change and fudging up how FF works overall.
    >
    > My thinning is that if doing this is such a good thing to do, why isn't
    > it in the default FF settings?

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_rendering

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Herb

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony Raven, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Herb

    Z Guest

    Herb wrote:
    >> Your images will begin displaying slightly faster but, on a page with
    >> many images, the entire page will take longer to display.

    > Z, Concerning last statement above, it is true of any page with more
    > images... that it'll take longer to display them, than one with less
    > images.

    In general, yes. The advantage to waiting a short time before you start
    painting is that you end up with more display information for each paint
    cycle so the entire page paints faster (fewer paint cycles) even though
    it starts painting later.

    The disadvantage of waiting before you start painting is that for simple
    pages with few images, you may have all the display information before
    the initial waiting period expires, so that page would take longer to
    display.

    > My concern about doing this is: Is the bang for the buck worth it ?

    I don't think so.

    Z, Feb 5, 2005
  7. Herb

    Z Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_rendering

    > I've been trying it out over the last couple of weeks and so far I've
    > not experienced any problems with it. YMMV

    Does it help? Can you actually feel the extra 1/4 of a second before
    initial painting that it buys you?

    Z, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Herb

    Tony Raven Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_rendering

    >> I've been trying it out over the last couple of weeks and so far I've
    >> not experienced any problems with it. YMMV

    > Does it help? Can you actually feel the extra 1/4 of a second before
    > initial painting that it buys you?

    I get the impression it loads faster but whether it does or not I
    haven't really tested. Did it more out of curiosity than for speed.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 6, 2005