    --
    "Beware of the man of one book."
    - Thomas Aquinas
    Slacker, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Slacker

    Ingeborg Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    > Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I
    > notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
    > NFTS.
    >
    > Wonder why this one is FAT32

    Maybe for compatibility with Linux, Win98 or WinME?

    > --- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

    NTFS is more suitable for such large volumes.
    Ingeborg, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Slacker

    doS Guest

    because fat32 cant see NTFS,but ntfs can see fat32, makes it easier for 98
    users

    doS, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Slacker

    Plato Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    > Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I notice
    > it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all NFTS.
    >
    > Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

    Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
    data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Slacker

    Ron Martell Guest

    "doS" <> wrote:

    >because fat32 cant see NTFS,but ntfs can see fat32, makes it easier for 98
    >users

    File systems don't "see" each other. It is the Windows version that
    is critical.

    Windows 2000 or Windows XP installed on a FAT32 drive/partition can
    also access NTFS drives/partition with zero problems.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Slacker

    Bioret Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:46be23d6$2$98885$:

    > Slacker wrote:
    >>
    >> Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I
    >> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
    >> NFTS.
    >>
    >> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

    > Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
    > data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

    I would suggest that you *do* format to NTFS. The reason is so that you
    can have large files (fat32 wont let you have files bigger than 3GB or
    something like that)
    Bioret, Aug 12, 2007
  7. Slacker

    Plato Guest

    Bioret wrote:

    > >> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
    > >> NFTS.
    > >>
    > >> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

    > > Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
    > > data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

    > I would suggest that you *do* format to NTFS. The reason is so that you
    > can have large files (fat32 wont let you have files bigger than 3GB or
    > something like that)

    You are correct. If you need the external for large files then by all
    means, do NTFS. Thanks for the follow-up.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 12, 2007