nforce4 raid boot driver

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by miso@sushi.com, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 1, 2005

  2. I am not familiar with that specific product, but, looking at the site, I
    would assume the nVidia4 chipset Beta might take care of that problem? In
    which case, you will not need to F6 at all.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    You need to supply a boot driver during the install (i.e. the F6
    step). Without the boot driver, windows only sees the "naked" hard
    drives, not the array.

    , Sep 1, 2005
  4. Yes, I know. From the discussions here, however, I have come to believe that
    the nForce equiped boards can skip the F6 part if the chipset can see it's
    own internal support, for which it needs the chipset driver that support
    this stuff. Early drivers may not have done this, since it is still in the
    Beta stage, requiring you to have a separate driver installation by way of
    the 'F6' method.

    This may be incorrect, I am pulling things out of my memory. Being
    incorrect, however, is an excellent way of being corrected, then you'll
    know.

    But you could easily check the dates of that Beta driver to whatever you're
    having as your current installation, an update may well be all you require
    to have it see that drive.

    I'm sorry if I am adding to the confusion. I was very much interested in
    such a board once, before I went 'Asrock' and did try to keep abreast with
    the info a while ago.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    No, you really need the F6 step. I've got a work around:
    1) Go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp64_amd_6.66.html
    and do the obvious (download the file)
    2) Extract the file (i.e. run 7zip) and use the windows explorer to
    open the directory "IDE" then "WinXP" then "sataraid".
    3) There is no program in the sataraid directory that is used to create
    the floppy, but all you have to copy the files to a floppy

    Now that I have win64 installed, I get a BSOD that lasts a microsecond
    before the PC reboots. Also annoying is the boot program confuses the
    win64 partition with the winXPpro partition. It's like the episode on
    Star Trek where they had to escape the gravitational pull of a star by
    moving forward instead of backwards.

    I suspect there is something in the bios to stop the immediate reboot
    so at least I can read the error message. Sure glad I set up a new
    partition for this experiment.

    , Sep 1, 2005
  6. Guest

    Just an FYI, during the install of win64, many raid drivers flash by
    on the bottom of the screen, so SOME installs won't need the F6 step.

    Giga-byte has sent me what they consider to be the right Nforce4
    drivers, so I'll do a reinstall and see what happens. What I don't like
    is the dates on the giga-byte files are older than the ones from Nvidia.

    , Sep 1, 2005
  7. O.K. so, exactly how much did you copy to floppy? Only the files in the
    'sataraid' directory itself? I do believe you need to have the TXTSETUP.OEM
    as well that resides in the same space as the sataraid directory, right next
    to it - it was exactly the same thing with my SIS based installation.

    This means, looking on that floppy in a filemanager you would see:
    A:\
    sataraid (directory)
    TXTSETUP.OEM (file)

    A:\sataraid
    contains whatever files is shiped as drivers.

    If this doesn't work maybe you should format that floppy and re-download
    those drivers and start all over.

    So many options for things going wrong.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  8. John Barnes Guest

    There is an option on the menu when you start windows with F8 which suspends
    the restart so you can look at your error message.

    John Barnes, Sep 1, 2005
  9. Guest

    Thanks.

    , Sep 2, 2005
  10. Guest

    I copied everything. However, the raid boot sent to me from giga-byte
    worked fine, other than the win64 install complaining about lack of
    certificates or something to that effect. I did a rather careful
    install of all drivers on the mobo (giga norce4 ultra-9) and have
    determined that the raid driver (the installation done from windows,
    not the boot raid) is the source of the BSOD. That is, the audio, SMB,
    and ethernet 64 bit drivers provided by giga-byte work fine, as well as
    the marvel ethernet driver. My video card driver works fine as well
    (giga-byte x800 xl).

    Incidentally, giga-byte support is pretty good. Email of course, so it
    takes time, but the replies are not the typical stupid stuff you get
    from tech support.

    , Sep 2, 2005
  11. Guest

    Using the Nvidia drivers and the giga-byte raid boot, I have win64
    running. The only thing not working is the additional silicon image
    SATA RAID which I'm not using at the moment. Good enough. My printer
    drivers were in win64.

    I did an install of google earth and it's not working. Grrrr.

    , Sep 2, 2005
  12. <> wrote in message
    >I copied everything. However, the raid boot sent to me from giga-byte
    > worked fine, other than the win64 install complaining about lack of
    > certificates or something to that effect.

    ---
    Could that have been 'decorated'. This would be an issue with the *.INF file
    which needs to have further sections added to it ( i.e. - decorated! ) this
    happened when Win64 went 'release'. Anything from before/around that date
    would need to have new *.INF files. Or you could do it manually, but I
    cannot remember exactly what goes where at the moment.
    ---
    > I did a rather careful
    > install of all drivers on the mobo (giga norce4 ultra-9) and have
    > determined that the raid driver (the installation done from windows,
    > not the boot raid) is the source of the BSOD. That is, the audio, SMB,
    > and ethernet 64 bit drivers provided by giga-byte work fine, as well as
    > the marvel ethernet driver. My video card driver works fine as well
    > (giga-byte x800 xl).
    >
    > Incidentally, giga-byte support is pretty good. Email of course, so it
    > takes time, but the replies are not the typical stupid stuff you get
    > from tech support.

    At least, that could be a source for hope.

    Tony

    Tony Sperling, Sep 2, 2005