    My books for the MCSA arrived today..ALL of them......at once....guess I'll be telling ya how I did early next year..I HOPE!

    --

    TJ, MCDST

    TJ, Jul 25, 2007

  2. TJ

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    Did you feel like a kid at christmas opening the box? You could scream
    and jump up and down like that damn Nintendo 64 kid. I can't yet
    imagine the sheer weight of the entire set. I have already considered
    bracing a shelf in my book collectiong ahead of time.

    I like that the core set comes all together. But does each book have a
    15% voucher? I had also heard that the evalutaion copy of Server 2003
    only has a 180 day license for all 4 books! I have plenty of servers
    to play with here at work, but for someone stuck learning at home that
    would suck...

    A friend loaned me their book while mine are being delivered and I'm
    already on chapter 4 of the 70-290. I can imagine your summer will be
    like mine. Good luck and happy studying!
    Pimp

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 25, 2007

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    yea it always is nice to get new things..
    they ain't light but shipping was free when you buy at
    chapters.indigo.ca.....
    yes, each book has a15% voucher that is good until 2010...I should be done
    by then....I hope...if I live that long

    speaking of setup for the windows 2003 domain, would a single domain on a
    laptop suffice for doing studying at home or is a more complex network setup
    needed for the mcsa?

    I thought you wrote and passed 70-290?????

    TJ, Jul 25, 2007
  4. TJ

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    No I did the 70-270. Managing, Installing, Massaging, and Fondling
    Windows XP etc etc. Got a 763...whew....

    Hope I didn't post that wrong somewhere. I still have to look at my
    notes when I go in to take the tests when the receptionist asks "What
    test are you taking?" and you mind kinda goes blank. The simplest
    questions stop you when you are so focused on the material.

    So far I have been using a 1 year old Toshiba Laptop with a gig of
    ram, XP Media Center, and Virtual PC 2003, and Centrino Duo Processor.
    I have a single domain (Contoso.com - go figure!) on 1 DC on Server
    2003 via VPC07. I also have a VPC client using XP pro. I can start up
    a 2nd DC if it calls for one, or another client but that would about
    use up all the ram on the laptop. Need more powah! I was wondering if
    anyone knows if it would be more effecient to use Virtual Server since
    I think I remember seeing somewhere where you can divi up and allocate
    the hardware resources like multiple processors and such better?

    STUPID MISTAKE # 1
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    I do know that I had trouble at first of installing it while at work
    on my personal laptop. I forgot about the whole 2 "DHCP servers on the
    wire" thing. Whoops! So now I only fire up the contoso DC after I
    unplug the RJ45. Didn't cause any widespread problems and only
    affected 2 people that arrived and signed on to the network while I
    was at lunch lol. I just told people that it was a glitch in Matrix
    and forgot to mention my "meddling and mange dog!". But once I unplug
    the cable, I got my own domain to play with, complete with backup
    images to fix in under 30 seconds. Gotta love virtual pc! I tried
    using VPC on my brand new HPdx2300 with Vista Business at work, Same
    ram, comperable processor. But since Vista hogs all the memory I can
    only run one Virtual PC console at a time. Probably better on my
    laptop so I can haul it along with the pdf of the book where ever...

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 25, 2007
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I believe the new virtual server 2005 sp1 R2 has the best setup for hardware
    virtualization....only if the platform you're using supports it. I installed
    it on the customer domain for the client usage and it appears to work
    fine...Enable hardware-assisted virtualization if available...that is the
    new feature....supposed to improve vm performance..

    --
    TJ, MCDST

    TJ, Jul 25, 2007