    Thank you in adavance
    David McGinty
    MCSA Win2000

    David McGinty, Aug 7, 2003

  2. David McGinty

    cnbweb Guest

    CCNA would be an excellent start.

    cnbweb, Aug 7, 2003

  3. You're absolutely right... CCNA and MCSE are considered entry level
    requirements these days. I would consider both finishing your MCSE and
    chasing CCNA. Because of this Microsoft really needs to make a valuable,
    premium certification--one that would be difficult to memorize content but
    actually require problem solving, but that's another topic.

    I agree with Spock that Citrix is useful, however the value-added features
    that have made Citrix so popular are dimisihing greatly in the current
    marketplace. The core skills are indeed more of an extension of Microsoft
    skills than a new set of skills. [As such I would like to see Microsoft
    create an exam that measures this kind of talent--or perhaps Citrix can make
    one that measures the core skills without trying to market their added
    features through exams.

    CISSP is good, especially if you happen to have a security clearance,
    although somewhat difficult material and a lot of upkeep. [Actually any
    basic skills are good if you have a clearance, but people with TS/SCI and
    CISSP tend to get 6 figures.] I would also suggest Unix skills (which
    implies Linux skills as well) as multiple platform environments are the ones
    that employers do have challenges staffing.

    The other angle if you have enough time before you need to be on the market
    is to learn development skills. There are few developers who know how to
    interface with the OS. As a dev support engineer I have spent a lot of time
    helping these folks with exactly these needs. Such skills will help
    somewhat with getting a job, but will help greatly with becoming
    indispensible.

    "Kilo The MagnifiKat" <> wrote in message
    > CCNA definitely. Almost all jobs nowadays require some Cisco Cert. These
    > days However , MCSE and CCNA are more like the standard requirements.

    Unlike
    > a few years ago when they were considered premium, they have become so
    > popular now that you may want to consider other emerging Technologies like
    > wireless, MS portal, Citrix, CISSP etc.

    [...]
    > > "David McGinty" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hey all,
    > > > I recently got my MCSA after a lot of work. But, it was
    > > > worth it. I am just wondering everybody's sugestion for
    > > > me. I am trying to decide if I should work on Net+ or
    > > > CCNA. I am in the military right now. I have 7 years of

    [...]
    > > Check out Citrix. 95%+ of Fortune 500 companies use Citrix, and the

    market
    > > is not saturated with Citrix certified people like Microsoft and Cisco

    [...]

    Michele Adams, Aug 11, 2003
  4. David McGinty

    Marko Guest

    Michele: That was a really good answer!

    Marko, Aug 12, 2003
  5. David McGinty

    Paul Hanlon Guest

    David,

    Definately go with the CCNA over the Network+. The
    CompTIA exams are seen as very entry-level while Cisco
    exams thankfullly still hold some respect in the market
    place. Even if it is only the CCNA, entry-level it might
    be but it will knock spots off the Network+.

    As for other certs I half agree with the people on here.
    Personally I would say that you should keep a focus on the
    job role you are after. Try to get certs that compliment
    each other. For example the MCSA and CCNA. Its always
    good for a Server Administrator to know about the network
    there running on. However Development skills wouldn't
    help you much. They might look nice on your CV but keep
    focus - going out and getting certified on everything
    going will have a negative effect - and make you look like
    a dumper.

    Basically make sure that you get certs that you require
    for your job.......Not everyone will agree but thats my
    opinion anyway.

    Paul Hanlon CCNA, MCSA, MCSE

    Paul Hanlon, Aug 12, 2003
  6. Thank you Michelle. I will follow your advice. I do have
    a little time. I am greatful for all the great comments I
    have received. Once again you all were there for me.

    Thank you,
    Dave

    David McGinty, Sep 2, 2003