    I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
    take?

    Thanks!
    rvela, Feb 1, 2008

  2. rvela

    John R Guest

    "rvela" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    >I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
    > take?
    >
    > Thanks!

    First off, congrats on obtaining MCDST. The next logical step for you is
    not something we can answer. All we really know about you is that you go
    by 'rvela'. What do you do? What do you want to do? Where do you see
    yourself in 5 years? What are your goals in life? What opportunities exist
    for you to realize your goals? What steps do you think you need to take to
    realize those goals?

    MCDST is related to Windows XP. Do you want to support XP for the rest of
    your life?

    Do you want to take on Vista? If so, then MCTS in Vista Config, and maybe
    MCITP Enterprise Support Tech might be your next goal (See 70-621, or 70-620
    and 70-622). Do you want to move towards the server world? Then maybe
    MCSA - 2003 might look attractive, or in the 2008 world, MCTS Server 2008
    and MCITP System Administration (or whatever they finally decide to call
    it).

    Do you want to be a jazz musician? Do you want to be a doormat? Do you
    think you might want to be a high ranking military official?

    It's all too hard to tell by just 'rvela'.

    I would suggest that given your post, maybe your next step would be to
    consult a career counselor.

    Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.

    John R
    John R, Feb 1, 2008

  3. "rvela" <> wrote in message

    > I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
    > take?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would take the exam I had the most experience with in regards of
    tested technology and objectives. But that's just me.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 1, 2008
  4. rvela

    hongem_y Guest

    Good for you... I am new to this. I studied to prepare myself for the 70-271
    exam but I don't know where to start?

    1. Should I go to training classes?
    2. Should I study from books and practice exams?
    3. After studying, should I just pay $100 plus for the exam?

    Pls. let me know if you can help.

    Thanks
    Amy

    hongem_y, Feb 14, 2008
  5. rvela

    TheITGirl Guest

    "hongem_y" <> wrote in message
    > Good for you... I am new to this. I studied to prepare myself for the
    > 70-271
    > exam but I don't know where to start?
    >
    > 1. Should I go to training classes?
    > 2. Should I study from books and practice exams?
    > 3. After studying, should I just pay $100 plus for the exam?
    >
    > Pls. let me know if you can help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Amy

    Hi Amy

    Welcome to the newsgroup!

    Do you have any hands-on experience in supporting and troubleshooting
    Windows XP? If not, I would give it 6 to 12 months before thinking about
    taking the exams.

    That's not to say you can't get a couple of books and start reading now,
    though. I find a combination MS Press and Exam Cram have got me through the
    tests so far.

    Both of these come with CDs with practice tests on them. Personally, I
    always leave the practice tests until a couple of weeks or so before I want
    to take the test, just to see if I'm ready. I don't use them to study with.
    I don't buy additional practice tests, either. Finding legal practice tests
    on the Internet can be quite difficult, but they do exist -
    www.certguard.com will be able to help you there. I believe Transcender are
    quite popular. There are a lot of companies out there that sell illegal
    braindumps - answers to actual questions on previous tests - and guarantee
    you pass the test, but you risk losing your certifications. Moreover, if
    you just learn by rote the answers to a bunch of questions, you're not
    actually learning about the technology itself and so will not become a
    better DST - only hands-on experience can do that.

    Training classes tend to be quite expensive and intensive, so I prefer to
    just get the books, get some hands-on practice and book the exam when I feel
    I'm ready.

    When you feel you're ready to sit the exam, you just visit the Prometric
    website and schedule a test at a test centre near you. As the fee hasn't
    changed in the UK for some time, I would imagine it is still $125 in the
    States too.

    I wish you all the best in your studies and in your career.

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Feb 14, 2008