    want the 50mm 1.8 just for the clarity but im torn i want the 300mm so i
    can try some better shots of the moon and other pics that are farther away.

    Any advice????
    Craig Chris, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Craig Chris

    JK Guest

    Get the 50mm f1.8. It is cheap and great. Just like me. :)

    Sometime one is stuck with very low light shooting, and really needs
    a few extra stops.

    JK, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Craig Chris

    ? Guest

    "Craig Chris" <> wrote in message
    > So far i have the stock 18-55 and i bought a 80-200 canon 4-5.6 now im

    torn
    > my neighbor bought a sigma 70-300 super macro i really like it

    >> I would not hit the North end of a South bound dog with the Sigma, due to

    cheap build quality. Owned one once and would not repeat that mistake.

    but i think i

    ?, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Craig Chris

    Christian Guest

    Craig Chris wrote:

    > So far i have the stock 18-55 and i bought a 80-200 canon 4-5.6 now im
    > torn my neighbor bought a sigma 70-300 super macro i really like it but i
    > think i
    > want the 50mm 1.8 just for the clarity but im torn i want the 300mm so i
    > can try some better shots of the moon and other pics that are farther
    > away.

    A 300mm lens won't give you a great (large) image of the moon. Still, it's
    a good lens to have for basic wildlife work etc. But if you do any
    portraits, I'd highly recommend the 50mm f/1.8.
    Christian, Jan 1, 2004
  5. For the moon? I would just grab a teleconverter (a 1.4x has little
    degredation). Remember f8-11 is really good for that.

    As for a lens, I would urge you to go with something a little faster. Canon
    makes the 50mm, you were looking at, but, personally I would get the 85mm...
    but I really like portiture.

    Good luck & enjoy!

    Robert Meyers, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Craig Chris

    jriegle Guest

    I'll second that. I have the 18-55, 80-200 and the 50. These make a nice kit
    for the Rebel and they are not very expensive.

    If you want to expand your telephoto capabilities, I recommend a tele prime
    such as the 300mm f/4L or the 400/5.6. From experience, there no better way
    to fly than with tele-primes. They perform well at wide apertures where they
    tend to get used most often. The already slow zooms need stopping down.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Craig Chris

    Mikey S. Guest

    Don't forget the 1.6 factor, that 50MM 1.8 on the 300D is the equivalent of
    80MM on a 35MM body...perfect for portraits. I just bought one, it's a cheap
    feeling ( compared to my L tele lens etc) , very light weight lens, but for
    $70 it's a good buy, it's fast and surprising sharp, I think I will get a
    lot of use out of it.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Jan 1, 2004
  8. Craig Chris

    TenKMan Guest

    "Christian" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Chris wrote:
    >
    > > So far i have the stock 18-55 and i bought a 80-200 canon 4-5.6 now

    im
    > > torn my neighbor bought a sigma 70-300 super macro i really like it

    but i
    > > think i
    > > want the 50mm 1.8 just for the clarity but im torn i want the 300mm

    so i
    > > can try some better shots of the moon and other pics that are

    farther
    > > away.

    > A 300mm lens won't give you a great (large) image of the moon. Still,

    it's
    > a good lens to have for basic wildlife work etc. But if you do any
    > portraits, I'd highly recommend the 50mm f/1.8.

    50mm is good for a limited type of portraits but I would rather have
    something from 85mm to 105mm for portraits. I am in love with my 85mm
    1.4 lens (Minolta in this case) for portraiture. The faster lens in
    this case has been invaluable in many instances.
    TenKMan, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Craig Chris

    Phil Guest

    Christian wrote:

    > But if you do any
    > portraits, I'd highly recommend the 50mm f/1.8.

    Add to which the price of the 50 mm f/1.8 II makes buying one a no-brainer.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  10. Craig Chris

    Johnny Guest

    > 50mm is good for a limited type of portraits but I would rather have
    > something from 85mm to 105mm for portraits.

    Before or after factoring in the 1.6 multiplier? The Digital Rebel's
    1.6 multiplier turns the 50mm 1.8 into an 80mm 1.8, close to your 85-105
    range, and at a price of $70.00
    Johnny, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Craig Chris

    B.o.w.s.e.r Guest

    If you want a zoom, don't ignore the 55-200 Canon. It's a much better lens
    that some give it credit for. Here's a sample:

    http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/55-200.JPG

    However, it still isn't enough for close-up pix of the moon. I'd guess you'd
    need at lease a 400 plus a converter for that.

    B.o.w.s.e.r, Jan 1, 2004
  12. Craig Chris

    DHB Guest

    Advice? There is never a shortage of that so I'll add mine to the mix.

    <1> Buy the Canon 50mm f1.8 II lens 1st because it's about $70 USD new &
    will likely be the fastest & best optical quality lens in your collection
    unless your pockets are deep enough for "L" glass. Also on the Digital
    Rebel/300D & 10D it will act like an 80mm lens due to the FOV crop factor of
    1.6x. This lens makes no-flash handheld pictures possible indoors under
    even modest lighting conditions. Depending on the lighting & your subjects,
    you may need to set the ISO anywhere from 400 to 800 but rarely 1600. So
    regardless of what you purchase later, I feel IMHO that this 50mm lens
    should be in everybody's camera bag including yours.

    <2> Consider a Canon 100-300mm zoom instead & have a look @ the link
    below where many different lenses have been tested & compared. You may find
    that for the same money or less you can buy a 100-300mm lens of better
    optical quality & you only give up 25mm of zoom range to do it. So on your
    camera the low end of the lens would become 160mm instead of 120mm.

    Don't know how much you wish to spend or if the macro function is the
    area of the lens you have the most interest in, I suspect not much since you
    mentioned Lunar photography. In short do some lens comparisons of both
    quality & price so you can buy the most lens with your money but also the
    lens that is best suited to "your" needs.

    http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/canon.shtml

    Best of luck, hope something I offered was helpful.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Jan 1, 2004
  13. "jriegle" <> wrote in message
    > I'll second that. I have the 18-55, 80-200 and the 50. These make a nice

    kit
    > for the Rebel and they are not very expensive.
    >
    > If you want to expand your telephoto capabilities, I recommend a tele

    prime
    > such as the 300mm f/4L or the 400/5.6. From experience, there no better

    way
    > to fly than with tele-primes. They perform well at wide apertures where

    they
    > tend to get used most often. The already slow zooms need stopping down.
    > John

    The Sigma 100-300/f4 EX IF APO HSM has a fantastic reputation for sharpness,
    it'll far exceed the resolution of a DSLR. It's inexpensive (relatively),
    the same speed at all focal lengths, and a 3X zoom.
    http://sigma-photo.com/html/pages/100_300_ex.htm

    As you say, the Sigma 70-300 DL is a very sharp lens, and nicely built for
    the money. Here it is at 300mm, indoors from several yards away...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/24660290/original

    The 70-300DL APO is even better, I think its only about $200 for Canon. The
    APO would be my recommendation for your Rebel for a strong zoom.

    For primes, get the the Sigma 50/f2.8 EX, it is absolutely stunning if you
    are looking for a sharp lens. The Canon f/1.x's are way too soft, basically
    junk, might as well stick with your cheap zoom. Another idea might be to
    get the Sigma 24-70/f2.8 EX, which will give you incredibly sharp f2.8 at
    all focal lengths, built like a Smithsonian piece (though very heavy). Here
    it is wide open... http://www.pbase.com/image/23211204/original

    BTW, 300mm isn't enough to shoot the Moon. Here it is at 300mm (540
    effective) using 10.3MP... http://www.pbase.com/image/23550330/original .
    George Preddy, Jan 1, 2004
  14. Craig Chris

    Craig Chris Guest

    Thank you all for your advise i think im going to start with the 50mm then
    wait till i can get some money and try some better tele Glass from canon

    Craig Chris, Jan 1, 2004
  15. Craig Chris

    Phil Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > The 70-300DL APO is even better, I think its only about $200 for Canon. The
    > APO would be my recommendation for your Rebel for a strong zoom.

    Yes, a very good lens with the DR. But the new II version is the one to
    get (earlier model does macro only at 300 mm .. vs. 200-300 .. and seems
    to have DR compatibility problems).

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  16. "Phil" <> wrote in message

    > George Preddy wrote:
    > >
    > > The 70-300DL APO is even better, I think its only about $200 for Canon.

    The
    > > APO would be my recommendation for your Rebel for a strong zoom.
    > >

    > Yes, a very good lens with the DR. But the new II version is the one to
    > get (earlier model does macro only at 300 mm .. vs. 200-300 .. and seems
    > to have DR compatibility problems).

    Good point, I was thinking new, but you could probably find early versions
    on ebay or at adorama, etc.
    George Preddy, Jan 1, 2004
  17. Craig Chris

    Mikey S. Guest

    Save up some pennies and buy yourself a Canon 70-200 F2.8 L lens, it's not
    cheap but it's an amazing lens, it's well worth what I spent for it, and
    very versatile. It works great with the 1.4 teleconverter too.

    I just ordered a 17-40 F4 L, I should have it tomorrow, I can't wait to try
    that one out as well for some wide to normal shots.

    I think I have developed a serious "L" lens addiction, this is going to get
    expensive <g>

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Jan 1, 2004
  18. Craig Chris

    DavidG Guest

    Shooting the moon

    "Craig Chris" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > So far i have the stock 18-55 and i bought a 80-200 canon 4-5.6 now im torn
    > my neighbor bought a sigma 70-300 super macro i really like it but i think i
    > want the 50mm 1.8 just for the clarity but im torn i want the 300mm so i
    > can try some better shots of the moon and other pics that are farther away.
    >
    > Any advice????

    If you are really after nice photos of the moon, it's important to
    realize that, on a 300D, the size of the photographed moon in pixels
    is approximately 1.25 * focal length. Thus, even a 300mm lens results
    in a moon that's only about 375 pixels in the final shot. Considering
    that the 300D image is 3072 x 2048, the moon will cover < 2% of the
    image area.

    This may be good enough for photos that simply involve the moon as a
    background, ambiance component or if you just want a rough idea of the
    moon's surface features. However, it may not be enough if you're
    interested in highly detailed shots of the moon itself. For that, you
    might want to consider a small telescope (focal lengths > 1000mm are
    readily available) and T adapter to allow mounting the camera in place
    of the eyepiece.

    David
    DavidG, Jan 1, 2004
  19. On 2004-01-01, TenKMan <> wrote:
    > 50mm is good for a limited type of portraits but I would rather have
    > something from 85mm to 105mm for portraits. I am in love with my 85mm
    > 1.4 lens (Minolta in this case) for portraiture. The faster lens in
    > this case has been invaluable in many instances.

    Since the EOS 300D has a 1.6x cropping factor, the 50 mm is the
    equivalent of 80 mm. And $70 for an f/1.8 is cheap. It is considered
    one of the sharpest Canon lenses.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 1, 2004
  20. "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2004-01-01, TenKMan <> wrote:
    > > 50mm is good for a limited type of portraits but I would rather have
    > > something from 85mm to 105mm for portraits. I am in love with my 85mm
    > > 1.4 lens (Minolta in this case) for portraiture. The faster lens in
    > > this case has been invaluable in many instances.

    > Since the EOS 300D has a 1.6x cropping factor, the 50 mm is the
    > equivalent of 80 mm. And $70 for an f/1.8 is cheap. It is considered
    > one of the sharpest Canon lenses.

    Not by those who take surveys.
    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#F50
    George Preddy, Jan 1, 2004