    "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    everything goes dead wrong.".

    Bootstrap Bill, May 8, 2004

  2. Bootstrap Bill wrote:
    > I'd like to see Macromedia Flash incorporated into the next generation DVD
    > players. This would give us the ability to create DVD's that are more
    > interactive and that have much nicer menus.
    >
    > Any reason why this shouldn't happen?

    Several. For a start, any DVD that incorporates a Flash (or equivalent)
    menu will also have to include a fallback non-Flash menu, in case the buyer
    doesn't have a Flash-compatible player. Which just means more bits taken
    away from the A/V quality of the film.

    Secondly, using Flash -- or some other established technology -- will
    probably require a license fee, which might tend to push up player prices
    (less important IMO) and DVD prices (more important IMO).

    Thirdly, I don't see any advantage to encouraging DVD producers to create
    menus with even *more* animation: I think there's entirely too much cruft
    in DVD menus as it is. OTOH, if someone were to offer a player with the
    option to intelligently disable all menu animation and sound, I'd probably
    buy one.

    Wasn't this already tried (more or less) in the form of NUON discs?

    doug

    --
    "...and they said, 'work hard, and die suddenly, 'cos it's fun'..."
    --Robyn Hitchcock

    Douglas Bailey, May 8, 2004

  3. Bootstrap Bill

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Douglas Bailey, says...
    > Thirdly, I don't see any advantage to encouraging DVD producers to create
    > menus with even *more* animation: I think there's entirely too much cruft
    > in DVD menus as it is.

    No kidding. I don't mind background animation, or animated scene
    thumbnails that don't interfere with your ability to navigate or slow
    you down. But I hate menues that make you wait for some stupid animation
    to happen. Like the opening of Tomorrow Never Dies, where you have to
    watch a "thumbprint" animation and wait for "authorization" before you
    can procede. Just let me see the choices and pick one, and save the cute
    stuff for edutainment kiddy discs.

    Mark Spatny, May 9, 2004
  4. Douglas Bailey wrote:

    > Bootstrap Bill wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to see Macromedia Flash incorporated into the next generation DVD
    >>players. This would give us the ability to create DVD's that are more
    >>interactive and that have much nicer menus.
    >>
    >>Any reason why this shouldn't happen?

    > Several. For a start, any DVD that incorporates a Flash (or equivalent)
    > menu will also have to include a fallback non-Flash menu, in case the buyer
    > doesn't have a Flash-compatible player. Which just means more bits taken
    > away from the A/V quality of the film.
    >
    > Secondly, using Flash -- or some other established technology -- will
    > probably require a license fee, which might tend to push up player prices
    > (less important IMO) and DVD prices (more important IMO).
    >
    > Thirdly,
    > Wasn't this already tried (more or less) in the form of NUON discs?

    No, that was the ability to do more video game-like stunts on the bonus
    extras, and they figured they'd come up with a really useful
    movie-related killer-app for it later--
    Aside from game disks, don't think they ever got past the Elizabeth
    Hurley "virtual fashion show" on the Bedazzled disk, though.

    (Let's be honest: We NEED failed technology to flop--
    We needed DIVx to have convinced people to buy DVD. We need Nuon to
    haunt our memory. We need EZ-D's to have once existed.
    It's good for Darwinism.) :)

    Derek Janssen (otherwise, we'll keep getting questions like this)

    Derek Janssen, May 9, 2004
  5. Bootstrap Bill

    TVholic Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 23:22:33 GMT, Mark Spatny
    <> wrote:

    > But I hate menues that make you wait for some stupid animation
    > to happen.

    The "Skip" button can often be used to bypass those things.

    TVholic, May 9, 2004
  6. Bootstrap Bill wrote:

    > I'd like to see Macromedia Flash incorporated into the next generation DVD
    > players. This would give us the ability to create DVD's that are more
    > interactive and that have much nicer menus.
    >
    > If not Flash, then something similar.
    >
    > Any reason why this shouldn't happen?

    What you're asking for is CD-i but with DVDs instead of CDs. Frankly,
    if it meant more quality adventure games (a dead or dying genre, which
    CD-i did *not* help save), then I'm all for it. I could see how with a
    little re-programming, games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey
    Island could be done with even better video on DVD (especially HD-DVD).
    Somebody get Tim Schafer started on this!

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 9, 2004
  7. Bootstrap Bill

    poldy Guest

    In article <Cstnc.12441$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > What you're asking for is CD-i but with DVDs instead of CDs. Frankly,
    > if it meant more quality adventure games (a dead or dying genre, which
    > CD-i did *not* help save), then I'm all for it. I could see how with a
    > little re-programming, games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey
    > Island could be done with even better video on DVD (especially HD-DVD).
    > Somebody get Tim Schafer started on this!

    There are games on DVD. They're called PS2 and Xbox games.

    poldy, May 9, 2004
  8. Bootstrap Bill

    Justin Guest

    poldy wrote on [Sun, 09 May 2004 21:23:22 GMT]:
    > In article <Cstnc.12441$>,
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >> >

    >> What you're asking for is CD-i but with DVDs instead of CDs. Frankly,
    >> if it meant more quality adventure games (a dead or dying genre, which
    >> CD-i did *not* help save), then I'm all for it. I could see how with a
    >> little re-programming, games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey
    >> Island could be done with even better video on DVD (especially HD-DVD).
    >> Somebody get Tim Schafer started on this!

    > There are games on DVD. They're called PS2 and Xbox games.

    Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are on DVD, as DVD games.

    Justin, May 10, 2004
  9. "poldy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Cstnc.12441$>,
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    > > >

    > > What you're asking for is CD-i but with DVDs instead of CDs. Frankly,
    > > if it meant more quality adventure games (a dead or dying genre, which
    > > CD-i did *not* help save), then I'm all for it. I could see how with a
    > > little re-programming, games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey
    > > Island could be done with even better video on DVD (especially HD-DVD).
    > > Somebody get Tim Schafer started on this!

    > There are games on DVD. They're called PS2 and Xbox games.

    Why not give the next generation DVD player enough power to play games?
    Within a few years, we should be able to add this capability for no more
    than a few bucks.

    Bootstrap Bill, May 10, 2004
  10. Bootstrap Bill

    Goro Guest

    "Bootstrap Bill" <> wrote in message news:<Czbnc.2184$>...
    > I'd like to see Macromedia Flash incorporated into the next generation DVD
    > players. This would give us the ability to create DVD's that are more
    > interactive and that have much nicer menus.
    >
    > If not Flash, then something similar.
    >
    > Any reason why this shouldn't happen?

    that would be awesome!!! then we could have FLASH ads pop up in the
    middle of a movie, just like watching TNT or surfing the web. What
    the DVD player lacks is the pop up ads.

    Uh. Oops. If i say that too loudly, the asshats at Universal will
    certainly try to incorporate it into their dvds....! (i will never
    buy a universal dvd so long as they have ads and PUOPs! arghghghg)

    -goro-

    Goro, May 10, 2004
  11. Bootstrap Bill wrote:

    >>There are games on DVD. They're called PS2 and Xbox games.

    > Why not give the next generation DVD player enough power to play games?

    Um...because the current-generation game machines play DVD's?

    Derek Janssen (I have an idea!: Why doesn't the horse *pull* the cart
    instead of pushing it?)

    Derek Janssen, May 10, 2004
  12. poldy wrote:

    > In article <Cstnc.12441$>,
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >
    >>What you're asking for is CD-i but with DVDs instead of CDs. Frankly,
    >>if it meant more quality adventure games (a dead or dying genre, which
    >>CD-i did *not* help save), then I'm all for it. I could see how with a
    >>little re-programming, games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey
    >>Island could be done with even better video on DVD (especially HD-DVD).
    >> Somebody get Tim Schafer started on this!

    > There are games on DVD. They're called PS2 and Xbox games.

    I think he was talking about an open platform.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 11, 2004
  13. Justin wrote:
    > Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are on DVD, as DVD games.

    They are hardly games. They were a novelty twenty years ago but they're
    not that interactive. *Myst* is more fun than those.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 11, 2004
  14. Bootstrap Bill

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Derek Janssen, says...
    > (I have an idea!: Why doesn't the horse *pull* the cart
    > instead of pushing it?)

    Teee hee hee

    Mark Spatny, May 12, 2004