nexstar 3 enclosure power supply

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ofn01, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It works
    really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature and looks
    really nice.

    But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.

    It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the main
    wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was in the box.
    The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it is the safest
    looking thing.

    On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz, output
    +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W

    When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for about
    10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though

    Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?

    The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    respect I am pleased.
    ofn01, Jan 25, 2008

  2. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It works
    > really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature and looks
    > really nice.
    >
    > But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.
    >
    > It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the
    > main wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was in
    > the box. The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it is the
    > safest looking thing.
    >
    > On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz,
    > output +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W
    >
    > When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for
    > about 10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though
    >
    > Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?
    >
    > The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    > respect I am pleased.

    If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it happens
    on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a store to do
    this is something they will do something about.

    Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    into. Nothing to worry about.
    Richard, Jan 25, 2008

  3. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > ofn01 wrote:
    >> I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It works
    >> really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature and looks
    >> really nice.
    >>
    >> But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.
    >>
    >> It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the
    >> main wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was in
    >> the box. The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it is the
    >> safest looking thing.
    >>
    >> On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz,
    >> output +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W
    >>
    >> When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for
    >> about 10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though
    >>
    >> Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?
    >>
    >> The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    >> respect I am pleased.

    > If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    > development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    > plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it happens on
    > trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a store to do this
    > is something they will do something about.
    >
    > Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    > staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    > plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    > into. Nothing to worry about.

    Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to see what
    they have to say.

    is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?
    ofn01, Jan 26, 2008
  4. ofn01 wrote:
    > I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It works
    > really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature and looks
    > really nice.
    >
    > But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.
    >
    > It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the
    > main wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was in
    > the box. The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it is the
    > safest looking thing.
    >
    > On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz,
    > output +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W
    >
    > When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for
    > about 10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though
    >
    > Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?
    >
    > The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    > respect I am pleased.

    I have a power supply with the same ratings which came with a usb2/sata/ide cable.

    It's branded ETA Technology, model EDA-1205-20.

    As a power supply it seems to work fine, but it can't provide enough power to
    satisfactorily run most hard drives.

    It has an IEC mains entry so the english cable and dodgy travel adapter it was
    supplied with is not much of an issue.
    Mark Robinson, Jan 26, 2008
  5. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It
    >>> works really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature
    >>> and looks really nice.
    >>>
    >>> But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.
    >>>
    >>> It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the
    >>> main wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was
    >>> in the box. The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it
    >>> is the safest looking thing.
    >>>
    >>> On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz,
    >>> output +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W
    >>>
    >>> When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for
    >>> about 10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?
    >>>
    >>> The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    >>> respect I am pleased.

    >> If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    >> development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    >> plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it
    >> happens on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a
    >> store to do this is something they will do something about.
    >>
    >> Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    >> staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    >> plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    >> into. Nothing to worry about.

    > Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to see
    > what they have to say.
    >
    > is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?

    Yes, but most travel adaptors are shit since they are made to take
    anything vaugely prong shaped, and the small round pins wont connect too
    good.

    Is it a wall wart or an inline psu? detachable cable at all?
    Richard, Jan 26, 2008
  6. ofn01

    Max Burke Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> I recently got the nexstar 3 enclosure for a 3.5" sata drive. It works
    >>> really great with esata, hot plugging, speed and temperature and looks
    >>> really nice.
    >>>
    >>> But the power supply looks a bit dodgy.
    >>>
    >>> It is an "opti" brand, made in china, and has two round prongs in the
    >>> main wall wart-style plug which plug into a small NZ adapter that was in
    >>> the box. The whole thing is a bit wobbly and I am not sure if it is the
    >>> safest looking thing.
    >>>
    >>> On it it says its a switching adapter, input 110-240V 0.8A 50-60Hz,
    >>> output +5V 2A max, +12V 2Amax, Output power 34W
    >>>
    >>> When you switch it off at the wall the green light on it stays on for
    >>> about 10 seconds. It doesn't seem to get very warm though
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone had one of these? Are they reliable?
    >>>
    >>> The drive enclosure itself works great and is really quiet so in that
    >>> respect I am pleased.

    >> If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    >> development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    >> plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it happens
    >> on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a store to do
    >> this is something they will do something about.
    >>
    >> Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    >> staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    >> plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    >> into. Nothing to worry about.

    > Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to see
    > what they have to say.
    >
    > is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?

    I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures, and not one of
    them came with the type of plug power pack yours has.

    The power supplies my enclosures came with are Welland brand 100-240Vac 0.6A
    50/60Hz with +5V 1.5A and +12V 1.8A output.

    There's a photo of them at this website:
    www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Vantec Nexstar 3/ (click on the power pack
    picture to see a bigger picture)

    Vantec GX here:
    www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1891

    It would seem yours has a substitute plug pack supplied with it.

    Maybe you should go back to the shop and ask them why it hasn't got the
    original power unit...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jan 26, 2008
  7. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    >>> development. They take a dim view on people selling things with
    >>> foregn plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of
    >>> it happens on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for
    >>> a store to do this is something they will do something about.
    >>>
    >>> Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The
    >>> light staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if
    >>> its not plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them
    >>> to discharge into. Nothing to worry about.

    >> Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to
    >> see what they have to say.
    >>
    >> is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?

    > Yes, but most travel adaptors are shit since they are made to take
    > anything vaugely prong shaped, and the small round pins wont connect
    > too good.
    >
    > Is it a wall wart or an inline psu? detachable cable at all?

    I was going to mention it the first time you mentioned repacing the cable
    Richard. Read the original post again, he quite clearly states that it's a
    wall-wart.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  8. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Max Burke" typed:

    [.....]

    > I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures

    Hi Max.

    Obviously you're pleased with them then. <g> I'm assuming that you didn't
    buy them all at once, and therefore probably know where they can be had at
    the best price? Care to share?

    I was eyeing up a Seagate Free Agent 320 GB. DSE will sell me one for $169
    (before the 30th Jan, VIP special). They come with a 5 year warranty but I
    quite like the idea of being able to mix 'n match an enclosure with other
    drives. Also, Seagate don't say what drive is in the Free Agent (that I can
    find) so I'm guessing they're using up their older, slower, non-perp.
    recording IDE drives.

    Also eSATA might be worth looking at (my mobo has 2 ports, although I read
    that there's bugger-all advantage to it over USB2, my ports can be
    configured as a RAID array) and only the Free Agent Pro has that. They're
    not "on special" and cost considerably more than the vanilla Free Agent.

    Hope your weekend's going well.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  9. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Max Burke" typed:
    >

    > [.....]
    >
    >> I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures

    > Hi Max.
    >
    > Obviously you're pleased with them then. <g> I'm assuming that you
    > didn't buy them all at once, and therefore probably know where they
    > can be had at the best price? Care to share?
    >
    > I was eyeing up a Seagate Free Agent 320 GB. DSE will sell me one for
    > $169 (before the 30th Jan, VIP special). They come with a 5 year
    > warranty but I quite like the idea of being able to mix 'n match an
    > enclosure with other drives. Also, Seagate don't say what drive is in
    > the Free Agent (that I can find) so I'm guessing they're using up
    > their older, slower, non-perp. recording IDE drives.
    >
    > Also eSATA might be worth looking at (my mobo has 2 ports, although I
    > read that there's bugger-all advantage to it over USB2, my ports can
    > be configured as a RAID array) and only the Free Agent Pro has that.
    > They're not "on special" and cost considerably more than the vanilla
    > Free Agent.
    > Hope your weekend's going well.

    Heh! Ok, I read the page that you linked to. It seems that eSATA is much
    better than USB2. I must have read a 'wrong review' (there are a lot of them
    about these days).

    A question; Does the thing 'autosense' and turn itself on/off with the PC?
    AFAIK the Seagate ones do and it does make sense. However, I haven't found
    mention of it with the Nexstar.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  10. ofn01

    Max Burke Guest

    > Misfit wrote:

    >> Max Burke typed:
    >> I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures

    > Hi Max.
    > Obviously you're pleased with them then. <g> I'm assuming that you
    > didn't buy them all at once, and therefore probably know where they
    > can be had at the best price? Care to share?

    > I was eyeing up a Seagate Free Agent 320 GB. DSE will sell me one for
    > $169 (before the 30th Jan, VIP special). They come with a 5 year
    > warranty but I quite like the idea of being able to mix 'n match an
    > enclosure with other drives. Also, Seagate don't say what drive is in
    > the Free Agent (that I can find) so I'm guessing they're using up
    > their older, slower, non-perp. recording IDE drives.

    > Also eSATA might be worth looking at (my mobo has 2 ports, although I
    > read that there's bugger-all advantage to it over USB2, my ports can
    > be configured as a RAID array) and only the Free Agent Pro has that.
    > They're not "on special" and cost considerably more than the vanilla
    > Free Agent.
    > Hope your weekend's going well.

    > Heh! Ok, I read the page that you linked to. It seems that eSATA is much
    > better than USB2. I must have read a 'wrong review' (there are a lot of
    > them about these days).

    The computer I have them plugged in doesn't have eSATA... I find USB2 fast
    enough for my uses though.

    > A question; Does the thing 'autosense' and turn itself on/off with the PC?

    The Nexstar GX ones do, The Nexstar 3 ones dont.

    Max Burke, Jan 27, 2008
  11. ofn01

    Max Burke Guest

    >misfit wrote:

    >> Max Burke typed:

    > [.....]

    >> I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures

    > Hi Max.
    > Obviously you're pleased with them then.

    Yes I am. They only problem I have had was the LED failed in one of them
    after 4 months. I got it replaced by Quay Computers under warranty without
    any problems.

    <g> I'm assuming that you didn't
    > buy them all at once, and therefore probably know where they can be had at
    > the best price? Care to share?

    I bought the Nexstar 3's from Quay Computers, they cost $95.00 each. (no hd,
    but I already had them)
    I got the Nexstar GX's from PB Technologies, they were $99.00 each.

    I probably could have got them cheaper shopping online, but I prefer 'bricks
    and mortar' most of the time when buying hardware, I find it makes it easier
    to get problems sorted if/when hardware goes faulty.
    I also find if you become a regular customer, and pay cash, you can quite
    often get good cash price reductions as well...

    I started off buying the Nexstar 3 enclosures (one at a time) then decided
    to get the Nexstar GX enclosures because of the built in USB2 hub. I have
    400Gb Seagate drives in the Nexstar GX's as my main external backup drives.
    It's a tight fit getting the drives in but I haven't found any need to turn
    on the internal fans, the passive cooling (Heat sink) works well even with
    the enclosures stacked on top of each other.

    I have three smaller (older) Seagate drives (120, 80, and 40GB) in the three
    Nextstar 3's... I use those as 'spare' drives at the moment.
    With the two 80GB internal drives the computer they're plugged into has
    1.2TB hard drive capacity available.

    XP SP2 just sees them as local drives, and they dont need their own drivers,
    the MS XP one works fine.

    Max Burke, Jan 27, 2008
  12. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Is it a wall wart or an inline psu? detachable cable at all?

    > I was going to mention it the first time you mentioned repacing the cable
    > Richard. Read the original post again, he quite clearly states that it's a
    > wall-wart.

    Yeah, but the OP never said if it could take a figure 8 cable like the
    apple ones do.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2008
  13. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Also eSATA might be worth looking at (my mobo has 2 ports, although I read
    > that there's bugger-all advantage to it over USB2, my ports can be
    > configured as a RAID array) and only the Free Agent Pro has that. They're
    > not "on special" and cost considerably more than the vanilla Free Agent.

    esata is much better then usb2 for both transfer rates and cpu loading
    when accessing it.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2008
  14. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Max Burke" typed:
    >> misfit wrote:

    >>> Max Burke typed:

    >> [.....]

    >>> I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures

    >> Hi Max.
    >> Obviously you're pleased with them then.

    > Yes I am. They only problem I have had was the LED failed in one of
    > them after 4 months. I got it replaced by Quay Computers under
    > warranty without any problems.
    >
    > <g> I'm assuming that you didn't
    >> buy them all at once, and therefore probably know where they can be
    >> had at the best price? Care to share?

    > I bought the Nexstar 3's from Quay Computers, they cost $95.00 each.
    > (no hd, but I already had them)
    > I got the Nexstar GX's from PB Technologies, they were $99.00 each.
    >
    > I probably could have got them cheaper shopping online, but I prefer
    > 'bricks and mortar' most of the time when buying hardware, I find it
    > makes it easier to get problems sorted if/when hardware goes faulty.
    > I also find if you become a regular customer, and pay cash, you can
    > quite often get good cash price reductions as well...
    >
    > I started off buying the Nexstar 3 enclosures (one at a time) then
    > decided to get the Nexstar GX enclosures because of the built in USB2
    > hub. I have 400Gb Seagate drives in the Nexstar GX's as my main
    > external backup drives. It's a tight fit getting the drives in but I
    > haven't found any need to turn on the internal fans, the passive
    > cooling (Heat sink) works well even with the enclosures stacked on
    > top of each other.
    > I have three smaller (older) Seagate drives (120, 80, and 40GB) in
    > the three Nextstar 3's... I use those as 'spare' drives at the
    > moment. With the two 80GB internal drives the computer they're plugged
    > into
    > has 1.2TB hard drive capacity available.
    >
    > XP SP2 just sees them as local drives, and they dont need their own
    > drivers, the MS XP one works fine.

    Thanks for the reply, and the other one. Appreciated.

    Rgds,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  15. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Also eSATA might be worth looking at (my mobo has 2 ports, although
    >> I read that there's bugger-all advantage to it over USB2, my ports
    >> can be configured as a RAID array) and only the Free Agent Pro has
    >> that. They're not "on special" and cost considerably more than the
    >> vanilla Free Agent.

    > esata is much better then usb2 for both transfer rates and cpu loading
    > when accessing it.

    Hmm, yeah, I've read a bit more since I wrote that. The review I read was
    either very wrong or old.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  16. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> Is it a wall wart or an inline psu? detachable cable at all?

    >> I was going to mention it the first time you mentioned repacing the
    >> cable Richard. Read the original post again, he quite clearly states
    >> that it's a wall-wart.

    > Yeah, but the OP never said if it could take a figure 8 cable like the
    > apple ones do.

    The definition of a wall-wart is that it has the prongs of the plug built
    into it, so that it's a wart on your wall. If it takes a figure 8 cable then
    it's an in-line PSU.

    If you're saying that Apple wall warts have a detachable cable then that's
    something I've never come across before (and I must have 35 - 40 wall warts
    in a box in the back room, along with another dozen in-line PSUs) and
    doesn't really make much sense.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2008
  17. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The definition of a wall-wart is that it has the prongs of the plug built
    > into it, so that it's a wart on your wall. If it takes a figure 8 cable then
    > it's an in-line PSU.
    >
    > If you're saying that Apple wall warts have a detachable cable then that's
    > something I've never come across before (and I must have 35 - 40 wall warts
    > in a box in the back room, along with another dozen in-line PSUs) and
    > doesn't really make much sense.

    The part with the 2 pins that go into the socket clip on, and connect
    via a figure 8 connection, you can also get an apple power cable that
    goes onto the same attachment point which has the redeeming quality of
    being the same white highly scratch prone plastic that yellows horribly.
    You can also use a normal figure 8 lead in its place but you end up
    seeing the ugly stub that the clip on apple adapters go onto.

    I have seen the same thing be used on other power adaptors since then,
    and also before then on a few phone chargers but they had a more
    propriatory connector between the adapter plate and the actual SMPS unit.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2008
  18. ofn01

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> The definition of a wall-wart is that it has the prongs of the plug
    >> built into it, so that it's a wart on your wall. If it takes a
    >> figure 8 cable then it's an in-line PSU.
    >>
    >> If you're saying that Apple wall warts have a detachable cable then
    >> that's something I've never come across before (and I must have 35 -
    >> 40 wall warts in a box in the back room, along with another dozen
    >> in-line PSUs) and doesn't really make much sense.

    > The part with the 2 pins that go into the socket clip on, and connect
    > via a figure 8 connection, you can also get an apple power cable that
    > goes onto the same attachment point which has the redeeming quality of
    > being the same white highly scratch prone plastic that yellows
    > horribly. You can also use a normal figure 8 lead in its place but
    > you end up seeing the ugly stub that the clip on apple adapters go
    > onto.
    > I have seen the same thing be used on other power adaptors since then,
    > and also before then on a few phone chargers but they had a more
    > propriatory connector between the adapter plate and the actual SMPS
    > unit.

    Ok. I've not seen either. However, the only Apple I have is an ancient,
    ex-school one that I don't have a monitor for and is just taking up space in
    my back room All my cell phones have been very basic *cell phones*, as
    opposed to cameras, web browsers, game consoles....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2008
  19. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    >>> development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    >>> plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it happens
    >>> on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a store to do
    >>> this is something they will do something about.
    >>>
    >>> Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    >>> staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    >>> plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    >>> into. Nothing to worry about.

    >> Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to see
    >> what they have to say.
    >>
    >> is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?

    > Yes, but most travel adaptors are shit since they are made to take
    > anything vaugely prong shaped, and the small round pins wont connect too
    > good.
    >
    > Is it a wall wart or an inline psu? detachable cable at all?

    It is a wall wart - no detachable cable, and it is a proprietary connector
    to the nexstar unit itself.
    ofn01, Jan 28, 2008
  20. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message

    > "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> If bought in nz then please dob them into the ministry of economic
    >>> development. They take a dim view on people selling things with foregn
    >>> plugs and a travel adaptor to people for use in NZ. Loads of it happens
    >>> on trademe and they cant really enforce it there but for a store to do
    >>> this is something they will do something about.
    >>>
    >>> Just replace the mains cable if its a normal figure8 in it. The light
    >>> staying on is because there is capacitors in the PSU, and if its not
    >>> plugged into anything then there is only the LED for them to discharge
    >>> into. Nothing to worry about.

    >> Thanks for that, I have emailed the consumer affairs dept of MED to see
    >> what they have to say.
    >>
    >> is it still safe to use though - even if MED takes a dim view of it?

    > I have 4 Nexstar 3 enclosures, and 2 Nexstar GX enclosures, and not one of
    > them came with the type of plug power pack yours has.
    >
    > The power supplies my enclosures came with are Welland brand 100-240Vac
    > 0.6A 50/60Hz with +5V 1.5A and +12V 1.8A output.
    >
    > There's a photo of them at this website:
    > www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Vantec Nexstar 3/ (click on the power
    > pack picture to see a bigger picture)
    >
    > Vantec GX here:
    > www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1891
    >
    > It would seem yours has a substitute plug pack supplied with it.
    >
    > Maybe you should go back to the shop and ask them why it hasn't got the
    > original power unit...

    Yes I was surprised when I saw the power supply as I was expecting the
    Welland one I had seen in reviews.

    I got it from Ascent, I wonder what the deal is and whether getting it from
    a retail store would have the same problem?

    How long ago did you get yours?
    ofn01, Jan 28, 2008