NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    dpreview:

    http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

    Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

    All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
    ISO 100-16000
    Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
    Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
    20ms)
    'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
    stereo mic
    Tilting rear screen
    Three-dial user interface
    Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
    Infra-red remote control receiver
     
    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >RichA wrote:
    >> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    >> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    >> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
    >>
    >> dpreview:

    >
    >I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?



    By whom? It also depends what you mean by "completely discredited".

    Sure, DPReview has its limitations, but it is not remotely as bad as
    PopPhoto.
     
    Bruce, Aug 24, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    DanP Guest

    Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.

    DanP
     
    DanP, Aug 24, 2011
    #3
  4. "DanP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.
    >
    > DanP


    By the time you have bought and fitted that, you might was well have got a
    DSLR in the first place, with a responsive optical viewfinder.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2011
    #4
  5. Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 7:14 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nail is
    > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!


    It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
    are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
    this is going to hurt them.

    > dpreview:
    >
    > http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp
    >
    > Sony NEX-7 specification highlights
    >
    >     All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
    >     ISO 100-16000
    >     Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
    >     Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
    > 20ms)
    >     'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
    > stereo mic
    >     Tilting rear screen
    >     Three-dial user interface
    >     Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
    >     Infra-red remote control receiver


    If they cut the resolution in half and provided better-
    quality pixels (less noisy) this might be very
    useful for some kinds of work. The key spec would
    be auto-focus speed and accuracy, though,
    which you say nothing about.
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 24, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 10:50 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
    wrote:
    > Bruce wrote:
    > > bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>  wrote:
    > >> RichA wrote:
    > >>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > >>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nailis
    > >>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > >>> dpreview:

    >
    > >> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

    >
    > > By whom?

    >
    > RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
    > of uselessness.
    >
    >   BugBear


    It's a reprint of Sony's press release, not a review.
     
    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 10:57 am, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 7:14 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nail is
    > > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
    > are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
    > this is going to hurt them.


    With all the problems with phase focusing, lubricants showing up on
    mirrors and lenses, mirror mechnisms failing, size, weight, cost,
    etc., it won't be long before "premiere" is no longer applicable.
     
    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 1:44 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On 8/24/2011 8:14 AM, RichA wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nail is
    > > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > > dpreview:

    >
    > >http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

    >
    > > Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

    >
    > >      All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
    > >      ISO 100-16000
    > >      Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
    > >      Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
    > > 20ms)
    > >      'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
    > > stereo mic
    > >      Tilting rear screen
    > >      Three-dial user interface
    > >      Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
    > >      Infra-red remote control receiver

    >
    > SLTA7? A657?   :)
    >
    > What I'm curious to see is if this has better IQ than the A77, since the
    > SLR will lose some light due to the pellicle mirror. The NEX 7 might be
    > a half-stop better in ISO performance. And I wonder if there's any
    > optical degradation due to the mirror?
    >
    > Too bad the Zeiss lens is to expensive, though. And where are the third
    > party lenses? Didn't Sony open the mount to third party makers?


    Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!
    http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082418sonyslta65preview.asp

    How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
    hierarchy they maintain?
     
    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
    #8
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
    > Bruce wrote:
    >> bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >>> RichA wrote:
    >>>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    >>>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    >>>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
    >>>>
    >>>> dpreview:
    >>>
    >>> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

    >>
    >>
    >> By whom?

    >
    > RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
    > of uselessness.
    >
    > BugBear


    But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Aug 24, 2011
    #9
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 2:43 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > Bruce wrote:
    > >> bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > >>> RichA wrote:
    > >>>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > >>>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    > >>>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > >>>> dpreview:

    >
    > >>> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

    >
    > >> By whom?

    >
    > > RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
    > > of uselessness.

    >
    > > BugBear

    >
    > But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel
    >
    > --
    > Peter


    It was Sony's and even if it came from Dpreview, all it is are
    specifications, it's not a review.
     
    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
    #10
  11. Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 12:14 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 10:57 am, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 24, 7:14 am, RichA <> wrote:

    >
    > > > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > > > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nailis
    > > > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > > It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
    > > are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
    > > this is going to hurt them.

    >
    > With all the problems with phase focusing, lubricants showing up on
    > mirrors and lenses, mirror mechnisms failing, size, weight, cost,
    > etc., it won't be long before "premiere" is no longer applicable.


    I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
    the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
    cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
    course is why P&S are so popular.)

    The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
    the mirror don't affect the image.
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 24, 2011
    #11
  12. Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 12:59 pm, RichA <> wrote:

    > Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082418sonyslta65preview.asp
    >
    > How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
    > hierarchy they maintain?


    It's Sony that's practicing a con-game here. They put the
    24 MP sensor in the entry-level DSLR because most people
    already in the DSLR world know they're better off with a
    12MP sensor -- higher IQ is more important than higher
    resolution in that range for a huge part of the customer
    space, though they don't all realize that.

    (Professionals / artists making 8-foot prints have higher
    needs than most of us do!)
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 24, 2011
    #12
  13. RichA

    Mike Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On 24/08/2011 4:04 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    > I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
    > the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
    > cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
    > course is why P&S are so popular.)
    >
    > The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
    > the mirror don't affect the image.
    >

    It's the way modern shooters work, note I didn't say photographers.
    These shooters use the machine gun approach to photography. They shoot
    2,000~4,000 images at a wedding, and so on. They shoot a hundred-fold
    more images than film users ever did. Then they Photoshop the crap out
    of the RAW files and think it's great photography.

    Maybe the mirror and shutters are breaking down ... from boredom!

    Mike
     
    Mike, Aug 24, 2011
    #13
  14. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:57:00 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 7:14 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    >> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nail is
    >> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
    > are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
    > this is going to hurt them.


    Premiere means first showing, not the same as premier!
     
    Irwell, Aug 24, 2011
    #14
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On 8/24/2011 4:01 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 2:43 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Bruce wrote:
    >>>> bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >>>>> RichA wrote:
    >>>>>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    >>>>>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    >>>>>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >>
    >>>>>> dpreview:

    >>
    >>>>> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

    >>
    >>>> By whom?

    >>
    >>> RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
    >>> of uselessness.

    >>
    >>> BugBear

    >>
    >> But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >
    > It was Sony's and even if it came from Dpreview, all it is are
    > specifications, it's not a review.



    And you rely on it for an editorial comment.
    Sheesh!

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Aug 25, 2011
    #15
  16. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:53:38 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

    > RichA wrote:
    >> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    >> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
    >> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
    >>
    >> dpreview:
    >>
    >> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

    >
    > Crazy adapter.


    Looks nice though.
     
    Irwell, Aug 25, 2011
    #16
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 9:46 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote:
    > > RichA wrote:
    > >> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
    > >> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be).  That nail is
    > >> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

    >
    > >> dpreview:

    >
    > >>http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

    >
    > > Crazy adapter.

    >
    > Really. It tells us that the camera's native AF is glacially slow.
    >


    No, it tells you it can't use the DSLR lenses any other way.
     
    RichA, Aug 25, 2011
    #17
  18. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    On Aug 24, 4:07 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 12:59 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > > Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082418sonyslta65preview.asp

    >
    > > How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
    > > hierarchy they maintain?

    >
    > It's Sony that's practicing a con-game here.  They put the
    > 24 MP sensor in the entry-level DSLR because most people
    > already in the DSLR world know they're better off with a
    > 12MP sensor -- higher IQ is more important than higher
    > resolution in that range for a huge part of the customer
    > space, though they don't all realize that.
    >
    > (Professionals / artists making 8-foot prints have higher
    > needs than most of us do!)


    I would LOVE to see an ISO plot after 500 exposures at the hands of a
    rank amateur who let the store salesperson set the camera on auto
    ISO. I wonder how many shots would be above 800 ISO? Assuming there
    was no speed cap in place.
     
    RichA, Aug 25, 2011
    #18
  19. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    DanP <> wrote:

    >Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.



    Nice price too! At $399, Sony won't be selling very many. ;-)
     
    Bruce, Aug 25, 2011
    #19
  20. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

    Mike <> wrote:
    >On 24/08/2011 4:04 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
    >> the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
    >> cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
    >> course is why P&S are so popular.)
    >>
    >> The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
    >> the mirror don't affect the image.
    > >

    >It's the way modern shooters work, note I didn't say photographers.
    >These shooters use the machine gun approach to photography. They shoot
    >2,000~4,000 images at a wedding, and so on. They shoot a hundred-fold
    >more images than film users ever did. Then they Photoshop the crap out
    >of the RAW files and think it's great photography.



    Nonsense. I know dozens of wedding photographers; none shoots
    anything like 2000-4000 images at a wedding.

    I once managed almost 1300 with an assistant, covering the whole day
    from 7:30 AM to 1:30 AM the following morning, but it was usually more
    like the 200-400 range. Perhaps your keyboard's zero key has a fault?
     
    Bruce, Aug 25, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,188
  2. Bruce

    Re: Sony NEX sales, question

    Bruce, Jun 6, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    369
    Bruce
    Jun 7, 2010
  3. dj_nme

    Re: Sony NEX sales, question

    dj_nme, Jun 7, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    537
    Peter
    Jun 8, 2010
  4. RichA
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    757
    John McWilliams
    Jun 13, 2010
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    362
Loading...

Share This Page