Newusers guide to DSLR testing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hugo Drax, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    I always get asked how do I know I got a good body, well below I have
    provided a good general practice for all brand new DSLRs

    A Newbies guide to testing your new DSLR
    1. Ruler pictures, First I recommend taking pictures of the rulers using
    centerfocus. to test the focus (should be sharp in the center)

    2. Newspaper pictures, tape a newspaper and take pictures of it. (should be
    very sharp at 100% view) repeat both tests at 5,10,20,40,60 feet then repeat
    in poor lighting conditions

    3. Lenscap (PIXEL TEST), take 30 seconds and then a 1 minute exposure at iso
    100 and 400 with the lens and zoom in 100% and see if you see any defects
    like red or blue pixels

    4. CMOS DUST TEST. set camera to f/22 then take a picture of the sky at full
    daylight. no dots should appear or you have a dirty sensor.

    5. Advanced test(optional) Purchase a Gretag Macbeth color checker and a
    Barco Reference Calibrator V monitor take a picture of the Macbeth color
    checker, then view the image on the barco (warm up monitor for 30minutes
    then make sure it has been calibrated) the colors should match exactly as
    the target.

    If your camera passes the 4 basic tests you have a good defect free body. if
    it passes # 5 you have a reference grade body
    Hugo Drax, Sep 17, 2004