Newsserver login username and password in Thunderbird 2

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ola V, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. Ola V

    Ola V Guest

    I have thought of using Thinderbird instead of Outlook Express for some
    time,
    and downloaded and installed latest version today. It seems to work okay,
    but I can't find any way install the two newsservers I usually use. In OE
    it's
    easy to install them both with usernames and passwords, and then OE will
    download the list og newsgroups available. But in Thunderbird it won't work,
    and searching thru the Mozilla support database I can only find articles
    from
    2000 and 2001 about this subject...which don't help at all. When I am trying
    to install the newsservers, there are nowhere to put the username and
    password,
    even if I put in the info about the newsserver and then restarts my computer
    and
    Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the right
    direction, please?

    Best regards
    Ola.
    Ola V, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Ola V wrote:
    > I have thought of using Thinderbird instead of Outlook Express for some
    > time,
    > and downloaded and installed latest version today. It seems to work okay,
    > but I can't find any way install the two newsservers I usually use. In OE
    > it's
    > easy to install them both with usernames and passwords, and then OE will
    > download the list og newsgroups available. But in Thunderbird it won't work,
    > and searching thru the Mozilla support database I can only find articles
    > from
    > 2000 and 2001 about this subject...which don't help at all. When I am trying
    > to install the newsservers, there are nowhere to put the username and
    > password,
    > even if I put in the info about the newsserver and then restarts my computer
    > and
    > Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the right
    > direction, please?
    >
    > Best regards
    > Ola.

    Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
    under Server Settings, look on the right for something
    called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
    the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
    name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Ola V

    Ola V Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ola V wrote:
    >> Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the
    >> right direction, please?

    > Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
    > under Server Settings, look on the right for something
    > called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
    > the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
    > name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

    Thank you for your fast reply.

    Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
    some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
    I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
    problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
    Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
    made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
    I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
    either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
    OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
    I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
    look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.

    Best regards
    Ola.
    Ola V, Feb 29, 2008
  4. Ola V wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ola V wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the
    >>> right direction, please?

    >> Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
    >> under Server Settings, look on the right for something
    >> called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
    >> the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
    >> name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

    > Thank you for your fast reply.
    >
    > Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
    > some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
    > I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
    > problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
    > Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
    > made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
    > I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
    > either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
    > OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
    > I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
    > look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Ola.

    I have 9 different news accounts set up in TB, there is no probolem with
    multiple servers. There is a problem with trying to set up two accounts
    for the same news server. IS that what you are trying to do.

    TB is quite a bit more OE user friendly then Opera is, so there is quite
    a bit more of a learning curve oin a migration to Opera. Since you seem
    to be rather impatient with learning a new program, that might pose a
    problem.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 1, 2008
  5. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ola V wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
    >>> under Server Settings, look on the right for something
    >>> called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
    >>> the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
    >>> name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

    >> Thank you for your fast reply.
    >>
    >> Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
    >> some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
    >> I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
    >> problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
    >> Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
    >> made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
    >> I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
    >> either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
    >> OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
    >> I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
    >> look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >> Ola.
    >>

    > I have 9 different news accounts set up in TB, there is no probolem with
    > multiple servers. There is a problem with trying to set up two accounts
    > for the same news server. IS that what you are trying to do.
    >
    > TB is quite a bit more OE user friendly then Opera is, so there is quite
    > a bit more of a learning curve oin a migration to Opera. Since you seem
    > to be rather impatient with learning a new program, that might pose a
    > problem.
    >
    > Lee

    further to what Lee said, get rid of Norton. That program
    has been known to cause all sorts of problems. IMO its not
    worth the headaches.

    As for Opera, if you don't know how to access the mail/news
    part, then that will cause a headache too. Its very well hidden.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 1, 2008