    name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class ( library was no
    help either) in
    old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

    stump, Aug 21, 2003

  2. stump

    Boomer Guest

    stump said:

    > Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
    > persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
    >
    > When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
    > attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
    >
    > There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember
    > but my favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a
    > radio commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).

    (Kaltenborn)

    > I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can
    > some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey and
    > find the forgotten name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my
    > college class ( library was no help either) in
    > old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

    You might want to ask at these group's also.
    alt.fiftyplus
    alt.fifty-plus.friends
    alt.movies
    alt.movies.silent (Ya never know what info you'll get there.)
    rec.arts.movies.past-films etc.

    Boomer, Aug 21, 2003

  3. stump

    trout Guest

    stump wrote:

    > Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
    > persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
    >
    > When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
    > attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
    >
    > There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember but my
    > favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a radio
    > commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
    >
    > I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can
    > some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey and
    > find the forgotten name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my
    > college class ( library was no help either) in
    > old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

    Try Googling for "narrators", and "voice actors".
    --
    "Seemed to be a few possibilities."

    trout, Aug 21, 2003
  4. stump

    Boomer Guest

    Gary G. Taylor said:

    > stump wrote:
    >
    >> Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
    >> persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
    >>
    >> When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
    >> attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
    >>
    >> There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember
    >> but my favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also
    >> a radio commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
    >>
    >> I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success.
    >> Can some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey
    >> and find the forgotten
    >> name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class (
    >> library was no help either) in
    >> old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.
    >>

    > Ed Herlihy? Lowell Thomas? google?

    Lowell Thomas! The best!

    Boomer, Aug 21, 2003
  5. stump

    Ed Malphrus Guest

    "stump" <> wrote in message
    > Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and persevering
    > responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
    >
    > When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added attractions

    and
    > I have my favorite commentators.
    >
    > There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember but my
    > favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a radio
    > commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
    >
    > I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can some

    one
    > out there supply a name or names that I might survey and find the

    forgotten
    > name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class ( library was

    no
    > help either) in
    > old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

    Perhaps you're thinking of Lowell Thomas.

    FYI, The University of South Carolina (my alma mater) was granted a
    significant portion of the "MovieTone News" film library in the 80's by 20th
    Century Fox. You may want to check their site for more info:

    http://www.sc.edu/newsfilm/

    Ed Malphrus, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Unknown wrote:

    > Walter Winchell???

    "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. North and South America and all the ships at
    sea. Let's go to press!"

    Cept I don't think WW did newsreel voiceovers. Oh well.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 21, 2003