    Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    nagware.

    Frosty

    Frosty, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Frosty wrote:
    > Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader? I've tried
    > Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE which really
    > sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing which sucked
    > worst of all.

    There are more than one "X things", so I don't know what you tried. My
    recommendation is Xnews. Next would be Dialog. This is assuming you
    need a GUI.

    > I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    > particular ng in one swell foop. And one that'll do threading without
    > much hassle.
    >
    > I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    > EZ outta the box.

    Are you also allergic to going through all of stuff off the main menu,
    so you know what's there and what can be done and configured? If so, I
    can't recommend *any* news cllients for you.

    > Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    > nagware.

    The above are freeware.

    Best place to further explore: news.software.readers. See you there.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006

  3. Frosty wrote:

    > Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    > I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    > which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
    > which sucked worst of all.
    >
    > I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    > particular ng in one swell foop.
    > And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    Agent is one of the best newsreaders for windows. One cannot "delete"
    messages anyway, that would mean sending cancel messages which simply isn't
    allowed for any other messages but your own, and is rather fruitless btw.
    You mix up "filtering" with "deleting".
    Agent allows filters for one newsgroup or for any you have subscribed.

    > I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    > EZ outta the box.

    Stay with Outbug Excuse. It is intended for that. And yet, you can find some
    nice features and workarounds for it's pitfalls, _when_ you RTFM.

    > Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    > nagware.

    Use linux. A lot of free newsreaders, binary as well, and also p2p tools.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Frosty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-16, Frosty <> wrote:
    > Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    > I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    > which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
    > which sucked worst of all.
    >
    > I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    > particular ng in one swell foop.

    That's usually known as 'catchup' and I haven't found a newsreader that
    can't do that.

    > And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    There are few newsreaders that don't thread; what do you mean by 'without
    hassle'? Any good threading newsreader will give you some options for
    different ways of threading.

    > I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    > EZ outta the box.

    U want it 2 speke yor l4ngwaj?

    > Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    > nagware.
    >
    > Frosty

    There aren't many that aren't free to use.

    If you want one that has few user options to set, perhaps
    <http://www.newega.com/> will suit you - it's still very much in the early
    stages of development, and uses a web browser to provide the user
    interface. There are versions for Linux and Windows.

    See also <http://www.newsreaders.com/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 16, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:14:45 +0200, an entity identified as
    Walter Mautner <> proudly
    proclaimed:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >
    >> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    >> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    >> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
    >> which sucked worst of all.
    >>
    >> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    >> particular ng in one swell foop.
    >> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.
    >>

    >Agent is one of the best newsreaders for windows. One cannot "delete"
    >messages anyway, that would mean sending cancel messages which simply isn't
    >allowed for any other messages but your own, and is rather fruitless btw.
    >You mix up "filtering" with "deleting".
    >Agent allows filters for one newsgroup or for any you have subscribed.

    <sigh>
    Yes Walter, I don't mean one which sends rm's. Rm's don't work anyway.
    I meant one that deletes messages from my viewing screen.
    Maybe OE does that but it's alfully difficult. Agent OTOH just makes
    me highlight 'em and hit my delete key. I want one like that.
    I've been using Agent (or FreeAgent) since 1995± but I need a second,
    and not another Agent (which can be set up so that two people can each
    have their own copy on the same box.)

    >> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    >> EZ outta the box.
    >>

    >Stay with Outbug Excuse. It is intended for that. And yet, you can find some
    >nice features and workarounds for it's pitfalls, _when_ you RTFM.

    No, Outhouse Entrails is a total piece of shit.
    I don't wanna RTFM. F the M. F all M's. Make the steenkin' things EZ
    to F'n R and we'll R them. You can start with the M in Hamster.

    >> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    >> nagware.
    >>

    >Use linux. A lot of free newsreaders, binary as well, and also p2p tools.

    I may be Frosty but I ain't F'n wid no steekin' penguins!

    Frosty, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Frosty

    Vanguard Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    > I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    > which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,

    Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,
    until now. Maybe for good reason, too. There is OE-QuoteFix if you
    want to alter some of OE's behavior (but bottom-posting and
    bottom-signing were added in SP2 for WinXP via registry edits) and
    there is also FidoLook (but its documentation sucks and some features
    are hard to figure out).

    > and that X thing
    > which sucked worst of all.

    An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
    looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
    bother making references if only you understand them?

    > I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    > particular ng in one swell foop.

    If you want to delete all messages of a group in OE, you can either
    just delete the .dbx file for that group or right-click on the group
    in OE, Properties, Local File, and reset it. Poof, all messages are
    gone and you start from scratch again and get to redownload all the
    headers again (up to whatever max count you specified, if enabled, in
    options).

    If you want to delete several messages but not all of them in OE, I
    have never found it that difficult to highlight one, or several, of
    them and then simply hit the Del key. You could also just click
    (twice) in the Watch column to get the red hazard symbol which means
    those posts will be hidden when you return to the group (providing you
    use a view that hides Ignored messages). However, OE won't work with
    threads when deleting or hiding, but then we really don't know what
    you meant by "deleting all messages" since that is simply deleting the
    ..dbx file or resetting the group in OE.

    > And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    > I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead
    > is
    > EZ outta the box.

    I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the included
    help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they go. They
    usually refer back to the help if they can't manage to figure out
    something later or come here when they are too lazy to go look in the
    options for the program.

    > Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    > nagware.

    OE is free. So are several other newsreaders. There is Xnews but
    maybe that is the "X thing" that you mentioned. I don't like its GUI
    but it is a capable newsreader and even supports decent regular
    expressions to use in scoring the posts so you can define some potent
    filters. I suspect the "Agent" that you used was the freebie Forte
    version which is highly crippled; see
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php. Until recently, it
    continued using a GUI that looked like it was developed back under
    Windows 3.x but they cleaned it up in the latest version. The freebie
    version won't even support multiple NNTP servers (unless you use the
    trick of defining multiple config files to open multiple instances of
    FreeAgent). You might like 40tude Dialog. Download it from the
    German site since the English site has been dead for many, many
    months. However, it doesn't separate its data based on login account
    (i.e., it was developed back under Windows 3.x/9x and hasn't a clue
    regarding security by separating user data by account) so you may end
    up doing multiple installs of it under each account to keep multiple
    users on the same host from screwing up each other's setup.
    Thunderbird does some things better or more correctly than OE but the
    rules set in Thunderbird suck worse than for OE.

    Best is to just go try them yourself. No one can really tell you
    which is best since that is entirely a personal decision. You don't
    define a decent list of criteria so you really don't know what you
    want, either. Of course, it is just a guess that you are using
    Windows for the OS from what newsreaders you did mention, and you are
    posting with Forte which only supports Windows. Since there are
    plenty of free ones, there are plenty for you to try to see which one
    you like. Just be aware that some free "trials" mean that the freebie
    version, if they have one, is often very crippled, as in the case with
    Forte Free Agent.

    You can find a plethora of information regarding Usenet at
    http://newsreaders.com/. Click on the "Clients (Newsreaders)" link
    (for your OS) to see a list of newsreaders. That'll keep you busy
    figuring out which newsreader that YOU happen to like best.

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Vanguard wrote:
    > "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader? I've tried
    >> Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE which really
    >> sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,

    > Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,

    I've seen a couple guys using it, over the years.

    > until now. Maybe for good reason, too. There is OE-QuoteFix if you
    > want to alter some of OE's behavior (but bottom-posting and
    > bottom-signing were added in SP2 for WinXP via registry edits) and
    > there is also FidoLook (but its documentation sucks and some features
    > are hard to figure out).
    >
    >> and that X thing which sucked worst of all.

    > An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
    > looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
    > bother making references if only you understand them?

    I am. He's only typing with one hand. ;)

    >> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    > OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    > doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    > might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    > thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:

    http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    >> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    >> EZ outta the box.

    > I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the included
    > help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they go. They

    Once someone tells them what an NNTP server is. :)

    > FreeAgent). You might like 40tude Dialog. Download it from the

    I've been using and promoting Xnews for years. I finally got around to
    setting up Dialog this month, and I'm favorably impressed. In fact, I'm
    now using it on my Win laptop for *mail*, instead of Thunderbird, which
    I never really liked and would *only* recommend over OE.

    > German site since the English site has been dead for many, many
    > months. However, it doesn't separate its data based on login account
    > (i.e., it was developed back under Windows 3.x/9x and hasn't a clue

    Well, not *quite* back then. Marcus announced it in
    news.software.readers on March 25, 2001:

    <q>

    I am looking for about 10 alpha and 50 beta testers for a Windows
    newsreader. The application is comparable to Forte's Agent newsreader.

    You will need to have Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000 (one of these), an
    internet connection, a good knowledge of the English language, lots of
    time and fun testing.

    </q>

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Frosty

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > <sigh>

    > Maybe OE does that but it's alfully difficult.

    <sigh>

    Why don't you ask K-Hen again for the *feature rich* program of hers Frosty?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Frosty

    elaich Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in news:8jjpo3-ktc.ln1@ID-
    107770.user.individual.net:

    >> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    >> particular ng in one swell foop.

    > That's usually known as 'catchup' and I haven't found a newsreader that
    > can't do that.

    The "X thing" (XNews) that you said sucks is the best free newsreader I've
    found, but it's not for idiots. F8 will catch up the group and mark all
    posts as "read." How much easier do you want it?

    elaich, Jul 16, 2006
  10. Frosty

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You'll notice every time I mention the *ho*'s name here comes Ms. Ronda.
    It's too coincidental indeed. ;-)

    K-Hen and Ms. Ronda is one pea in the pod.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 16, 2006
  11. Frosty

    Whiskers Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader? I've tried
    >>> Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE which really
    >>> sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,

    >> Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,

    I looked at it shortly before I gave up using Windows in 2003, nd
    thought it looked promising at that early stage in its development. If
    still maintained, it doesn't seem to be very active at present.

    snip

    >>> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    >> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    >> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    >> might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    >> thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    > The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:
    >
    > http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    snip

    Oh yes it does!

    Whiskers, Jul 16, 2006
  12. Frosty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-16, Vanguard <> wrote:
    > "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    >> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    >> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,

    > Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,
    > until now. Maybe for good reason, too. There is OE-QuoteFix if you
    > want to alter some of OE's behavior (but bottom-posting and
    > bottom-signing were added in SP2 for WinXP via registry edits) and
    > there is also FidoLook (but its documentation sucks and some features
    > are hard to figure out).
    >
    >> and that X thing
    >> which sucked worst of all.

    > An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
    > looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
    > bother making references if only you understand them?
    >
    >> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    >> particular ng in one swell foop.

    > If you want to delete all messages of a group in OE, you can either
    > just delete the .dbx file for that group or right-click on the group
    > in OE, Properties, Local File, and reset it. Poof, all messages are
    > gone and you start from scratch again and get to redownload all the
    > headers again (up to whatever max count you specified, if enabled, in
    > options).
    >
    > If you want to delete several messages but not all of them in OE, I
    > have never found it that difficult to highlight one, or several, of
    > them and then simply hit the Del key. You could also just click
    > (twice) in the Watch column to get the red hazard symbol which means
    > those posts will be hidden when you return to the group (providing you
    > use a view that hides Ignored messages). However, OE won't work with
    > threads when deleting or hiding, but then we really don't know what
    > you meant by "deleting all messages" since that is simply deleting the
    > .dbx file or resetting the group in OE.
    >
    >> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    > OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    > doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    > might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    > thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    snip

    All the 'command line' newsreaders I've tried (assuming you mean 'text
    based') have no difficulty representing the threads and sub-threads; slrn
    does it more clearly than some GUI programs. Tin, Mutt, and Gnus, are
    about as clear, and even the venerable trn does it pretty well, once you
    work out how to interpret the display.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 16, 2006
  13. Frosty

    Vanguard Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message

    >>> and that X thing which sucked worst of all.

    >> An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
    >> looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing.
    >> Why
    >> bother making references if only you understand them?

    > I am. He's only typing with one hand. ;)

    Now you're getting nasty.

    >>> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    >> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    >> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line
    >> newsreaders
    >> might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for
    >> thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    > The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:
    >
    > http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    I stand corrected. I had trialed just over a dozen different
    newsreaders a few months back (and will probably go through the
    exercise again when I have the time) but this wasn't one that I had
    even heard of or found a link to. I'm sure there are plenty of pet
    projects that are too small or limited in exposure that would end up
    under the radar of general searches and reading articles to find
    candidates for trialing of newsreaders.

    >> I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the
    >> included
    >> help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they go.
    >> They

    > Once someone tells them what an NNTP server is. :)

    Okay, now you're just playing dump. You know perfectly well that NNTP
    stands for Network News Transfer Protocol
    (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc977.txt), especially since you
    are asking for beta testers of your own pet client.

    Actually I should not have limited the lack of reading the help or
    manual just to OE since that is typical of most users with any
    software.

    >> FreeAgent). You might like 40tude Dialog. Download it from the

    > I've been using and promoting Xnews for years. I finally got around
    > setting up Dialog this month, and I'm favorably impressed. In fact,
    > I'm
    > now using it on my Win laptop for *mail*, instead of Thunderbird,
    > which
    > I never really liked and would *only* recommend over OE.

    I really like the regular expressions that can be used for scoring and
    tested by rules to filter out unwanted posts. I just didn't like its
    GUI. I don't remember all the flaws, but I recall one of them was
    that the author doesn't seem very keen on providing right-click
    context menus, something Windows users (and even those of other
    platforms) have gotten used to.

    >> German site since the English site has been dead for many, many
    >> months. However, it doesn't separate its data based on login
    >> account
    >> (i.e., it was developed back under Windows 3.x/9x and hasn't a clue

    > Well, not *quite* back then. Marcus announced it in
    > news.software.readers on March 25, 2001:

    I didn't say when 40Tude Dialog came out, only under what OS is
    *appears* that the product was designed for. It was definitely not
    designed for any NT-based version of Windows that provides for logging
    in under separate user accounts. If you use FAT on your OS drive, the
    user profiles help isolate data from different accounts. If you use
    NTFS, permissions are added atop the separate user profiles to isolate
    and restrict user data. Windows 3.x/9X doesn't have file security and
    it was under that model that Dialog was designed. It has good looks,
    nice behavior, and would be a good choice for a single-user setup.
    However, if you share your computer with spouse, family, or kids, you
    really don't want them, for example, deleting groups that you want
    because they don't care about them, adding groups that you don't want
    to wade through to get to yours, or altering your rules or adding
    their own which screws up what you get to read or will hide. You'll
    end up having to do multiple installs (along with using permissions)
    to keep someone else that uses your host from screwing up your setup.

    Of the various newsreaders that I did trial, Dialog looks pretty good.
    Unfortunately I ran out of time to check on the potency of its
    filtering and if it provides regular expression support equal to
    Xnews. I guess if I switch, which would be for more than just a minor
    incremental behavioral change, I'd probably go with Dialog and, if it
    didn't support regular expressions as well, then maybe back to Xnews.
    For now, OE does me fine and the only reason why I investigate the
    others is to look for better means of automatically filtering the
    posts.

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2006
  14. Frosty

    Vanguard Guest

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2006
  15. Frosty

    Vanguard Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > All the 'command line' newsreaders I've tried (assuming you mean
    > 'text
    > based') have no difficulty representing the threads and sub-threads;
    > slrn
    > does it more clearly than some GUI programs. Tin, Mutt, and Gnus,
    > are
    > about as clear, and even the venerable trn does it pretty well, once
    > you
    > work out how to interpret the display.

    I really doubt the OP wants to switch to a different OS, multiboot
    between them, or use VMs just to find a better newsreader. I suppose
    the OP could install Cygwin and see if slrn runs under it. I don't
    have Cygwin installed at home so I can't go run its setup.exe to
    download the setup file to check if slrn was one of those already
    included in a Cygwin distro. I'd bet the OP is stuck with Windows and
    wants it that way.

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2006
  16. "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
    > I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
    > which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
    > which sucked worst of all.
    >
    > I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
    > particular ng in one swell foop.

    Ctrl-Shift-A in OE when you're in that newsgroup.

    > And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

    I dunno, OE threads good enough to suit me. Might help if you say
    what's wrong with in as regards your threading needs.

    > I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
    > EZ outta the box.

    *scratches head* XNews takes some doc reading, as does Agent and
    Free Agent. If you want dain-bread easy, OE has most everything else beat
    (because it starts out dain-bread, but that's another story ... )

    > Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
    > nagware.

    Heh.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 16, 2006
  17. Whiskers wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,

    > I looked at it shortly before I gave up using Windows in 2003, nd
    > thought it looked promising at that early stage in its development. If
    > still maintained, it doesn't seem to be very active at present.

    There's been no sign of development since a beta from a year and a half
    ago. There's one guy in news.software.readers that speaks as if it
    still being developed (talks about future features and such), but he's
    admitted that he's not part of the team (if there's more than on one
    *oon* the team).

    > snip

    >>> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    >>> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    >>> might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    >>> thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    >> The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:
    >>
    >> http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    > snip
    >
    > Oh yes it does!

    It does? It didn't look like that was a display option. Granted, I
    can't *use* it because when I try to import a newsrc file it locks up and
    has to be killed with a big stick.[1] But I didn't see threading in the
    setup options. Screenshot?

    [1]Yes, I could download the groups list from scratch, but I don't want
    to, when it's supposed to be able to import an existing one. Author
    hasn't had anything to say except to ask for an error log, which the
    program freezes up without leaving.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  18. Vanguard wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message

    >>> An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
    >>> looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
    >>> bother making references if only you understand them?

    >> I am. He's only typing with one hand. ;)

    > Now you're getting nasty.

    I was making a common Usenet joke. See the winkie.

    >>> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    >>> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line
    >>> newsreaders might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical
    >>> display for a thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    >> The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:
    >>
    >> http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    > I stand corrected. I had trialed just over a dozen different

    No, *I'll* stand corrected this time. :) Someone posted a link to a
    screencap that shows XPN threading. I hadn't seen a display setting for
    that, only for sorting, so it looked unthreadable. I haven't actually
    *used* XPN, because it locks up and has to be killed when I try to
    import my newsrc file from slrn.

    > newsreaders a few months back (and will probably go through the
    > exercise again when I have the time) but this wasn't one that I had
    > even heard of or found a link to. I'm sure there are plenty of pet
    > projects that are too small or limited in exposure that would end up
    > under the radar of general searches and reading articles to find
    > candidates for trialing of newsreaders.

    It's known in news.software.readers because the author posts
    announcements there. Outside of there, I've rarely encountered it, if
    at all.

    >>> I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the
    >>> included help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they
    >>> go. They

    >> Once someone tells them what an NNTP server is. :)

    > Okay, now you're just playing dump. You know perfectly well that NNTP

    I take dumps, but I don't play with them.

    > stands for Network News Transfer Protocol
    > (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc977.txt), especially since you
    > are asking for beta testers of your own pet client.

    Of course *I* know what NNTP is. Try to follow along. I was talking
    about OE users. And I'm not asking for any for any beta testers because
    I've never written a news client. Dude, you don't usually have this
    much trouble reading posts. The number of greater-than symbols along
    the left margin tells you who said what, according to attributions at
    the top of the post.

    > Of the various newsreaders that I did trial, Dialog looks pretty good.
    > Unfortunately I ran out of time to check on the potency of its
    > filtering and if it provides regular expression support equal to
    > Xnews. I guess if I switch, which would be for more than just a minor

    I prefer the way Xnews/slrn/pan/others score, but I've seen sample score
    files from Dialog users that look like it has generally equal
    capabilities, if differently implemented. As for regex, it seems
    comparable at first look.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  19. Whiskers wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,

    > I looked at it shortly before I gave up using Windows in 2003, nd
    > thought it looked promising at that early stage in its development. If
    > still maintained, it doesn't seem to be very active at present.
    >
    > snip

    >>> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
    >>> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
    >>> might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
    >>> thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

    >> The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:
    >>
    >> http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    > snip
    >
    > Oh yes it does!

    I'd not seen the screencap that Vanguard just linked, and having not
    found anything in XPN's setup about theading it seemed like it wouldn't.
    I stand corrected.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  20. Vanguard wrote:

    > I really doubt the OP wants to switch to a different OS, multiboot
    > between them, or use VMs just to find a better newsreader. I suppose
    > the OP could install Cygwin and see if slrn runs under it. I don't

    Or he could simply use the slrn Windows port:

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net/data/

    "It runs in console mode on various Unix-like systems (including Linux),
    32-bit Windows, OS/2, BeOS, Mac OS X and VMS."

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006