Newsreader

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
    Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
    do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
    find out how to do it...)

    I don't keep track of many newsgroups - about 8 max and usually not more
    than about 4.

    I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
    month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
    'unread'

    I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
    new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
    to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
    that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')

    I want to be able to easily mark and filter threads I want to follow, and
    be able to ignore subthreads from a particular post (but be able to view
    others) ((if that makes sense)) easily.

    I'm not too worried about a killfile, I think this (previous point) is
    much more useful than a killfile.

    I don't need multiple personalities. I only post as this one.

    I'm sure I have a couple of other requirements (preferences) but I can't
    think of them right now.

    As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
    and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
    I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
    Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
    thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
    it a go.

    I've tried Agent (free edition), every now and then for years. I must say
    there's been nothing that stands out as being great - certainly nothing
    I'd wanna pay for. Maybe I'm missing something....

    40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
    back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
    Maybe it's more stable now...?

    I've also (tried) to look at Gravity, (as recommended in Mainlander's
    sig) which I think I might have looked at before, but now the link is
    'down for maintenance'. Are there many people using this? Is it good?

    I don't mind paying for a good program. But I do want to be able to try it
    out first though without shelling out my dosh.

    Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
    imagine they're very unique).

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Feb 10, 2004

  2. SomebodyElse

    SteveM Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in
    > joke, and I haven't tried (and am not goi
    >
    > I don't mind paying for a good program. But I do want to be able to
    > try it out first though without shelling out my dosh.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
    > imagine they're very unique).
    >
    > - Scott

    XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 10, 2004

  3. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:04:52 +0000, SteveM wrote:

    > XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >
    > SteveM

    Yeah, I've looked at that before, but can't remember anything about it.
    I'd better have another look.

    Thanks
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Feb 10, 2004
  4. SomebodyElse

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:

    > 40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
    > back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
    > Maybe it's more stable now...?

    Newer version seems a bit more stable. And it does the 'ignore subthread'
    thing.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Any body of men who believe in hell will persecute whenever they have the power." -- Joseph M. McCabe

    Note: All comments are copyright 10/02/2004 11:59:25 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my reccollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 10, 2004
  5. SomebodyElse

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:14:44 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:04:52 +0000, SteveM wrote:
    >>>

    >> XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >>
    >> SteveM

    >Yeah, I've looked at that before, but can't remember anything about it.
    >I'd better have another look.

    There are XP Icon Patchers for all versions here

    http://xnews-icon-patchers.bebto.com/patcher.html

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Feb 10, 2004
  6. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:

    > I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
    > month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
    > 'unread'

    Pan does this already. what version are you running?

    > I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
    > new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
    > to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
    > that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')

    They're still unread. What you have is "unread old" and "new"

    Look at the little envelopes for the read status.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 10, 2004
  7. "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message

    > I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
    > Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
    > do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
    > find out how to do it...)

    The problem I had with PAN when I tried it was the same as all the other
    free clients (Outlook Express excluded). The time taken to load the database
    of messages and sort them was painfully slow. I keep a large archive of old
    messages, being able to load 250,000 messages in a few seconds is essential.

    KNode also had the same problem.

    > As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
    > and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
    > I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
    > Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
    > thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
    > it a go.

    Thunderbird is good, even for a beta. I use it for IMAP and POP, without any
    major problems. I don't use it for Newgroups, I still prefer OE for speed,
    and it works the way I like. I don't killfile, and I am capable of ignoring
    things I'm not interested in by simply not expanding the thread and reading
    it.

    Outlook doesn't have built in news reading abilities, it just uses Outlook
    Express for news.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Feb 10, 2004
  8. SomebodyElse

    steve Guest

    SomebodyElse wrote:

    > Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
    > imagine they're very unique).
    >
    > - Scott

    Tried Knode?

    If I right-click on any threead, I can ignore it.
    Kill-filing amounts to setting scores...and then defining actions.

    I especially like the functions where you select text with my mouse, then
    just reply to the post and only the selected text is included in the
    response. Maybe PAN works that way, too.

    Or just select the text and clicking the middle (of 3) mouse buttons
    automatically cuts and pastes it to the new location. I know that is an X
    windows function.....but when I do have to use Windows, it really annoys me
    that I don't have the ability to do that. :)

    steve, Feb 10, 2004
  9. SomebodyElse

    harry Guest

    steve wrote:
    > SomebodyElse wrote:
    >

    >> Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
    >> imagine they're very unique).
    >>
    >> - Scott

    > Tried Knode?
    >
    > If I right-click on any threead, I can ignore it.
    > Kill-filing amounts to setting scores...and then defining actions.
    >
    > I especially like the functions where you select text with my mouse,
    > then just reply to the post and only the selected text is included in
    > the response. Maybe PAN works that way, too.

    Yes
    The message editor in Pan is pretty buggy though, big chunks of text can
    disappear when you cut and paste.

    harry, Feb 11, 2004
  10. SomebodyElse

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
    > Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
    > do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
    > find out how to do it...)
    >
    > I don't keep track of many newsgroups - about 8 max and usually not more
    > than about 4.
    >
    > I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
    > month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
    > 'unread'
    >
    > I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
    > new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
    > to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
    > that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')
    >
    > I want to be able to easily mark and filter threads I want to follow, and
    > be able to ignore subthreads from a particular post (but be able to view
    > others) ((if that makes sense)) easily.
    >
    > I'm not too worried about a killfile, I think this (previous point) is
    > much more useful than a killfile.
    >
    > I don't need multiple personalities. I only post as this one.
    >
    > I'm sure I have a couple of other requirements (preferences) but I can't
    > think of them right now.
    >
    > As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
    > and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
    > I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
    > Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
    > thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
    > it a go.
    >
    > I've tried Agent (free edition), every now and then for years. I must say
    > there's been nothing that stands out as being great - certainly nothing
    > I'd wanna pay for. Maybe I'm missing something....
    >
    > 40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
    > back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
    > Maybe it's more stable now...?
    >
    > I've also (tried) to look at Gravity, (as recommended in Mainlander's
    > sig) which I think I might have looked at before, but now the link is
    > 'down for maintenance'. Are there many people using this? Is it good?

    Sf.net has regular maintenance, it should be up again by now.

    Mainlander, Feb 11, 2004
  11. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:19:17 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:
    >
    >> I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
    >> month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
    >> 'unread'

    > Pan does this already. what version are you running?

    0.14.2
    It probably does do a lot of what I want, but I don't find it terribly
    easy (intuitive is probably a better word) to use so it's time to try some
    others I think.

    SomebodyElse, Feb 11, 2004