Newsreader Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ray, May 13, 2004.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I am having problems with 'News' reader.

    I use two Bt. sites, one at work(Broadband) and the other at home (Dial up)

    The problem is I am missing some postings on Newsgroups. I can post a
    message from work, which does not register at home and vice versa. I know
    the messages have been posted, as I receive responses.I also miss some
    messages from other posters.

    I have gone into 'Directory Services' and the readers are Bigfoot,
    Infospace,Verisign & Who,Where. All connections show as LAN. These show at
    both locations. I 'munge' my news address from both sites.

    Is there some way of returning to basic config at both sites so I can see
    and respond to all posts?

    e-mails are fine.

    Home:
    Win 98 SE
    56K

    Work:
    ME
    Broadband.

    PS. I know sweet FA about servers, readers etc., please be kind.

    tia

    Ray
    Ray, May 13, 2004

  2. Ray

    Trent SC Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > I am having problems with 'News' reader.
    >
    > I use two Bt. sites, one at work(Broadband) and the other at home (Dial

    up)

    > The problem is I am missing some postings on Newsgroups. I can post a
    > message from work, which does not register at home and vice versa. I know
    > the messages have been posted, as I receive responses.I also miss some
    > messages from other posters.
    >
    > I have gone into 'Directory Services' and the readers are Bigfoot,
    > Infospace,Verisign & Who,Where. All connections show as LAN. These show at
    > both locations. I 'munge' my news address from both sites.
    >
    > Is there some way of returning to basic config at both sites so I can see
    > and respond to all posts?
    >
    > e-mails are fine.
    >
    > Home:
    > Win 98 SE
    > 56K
    >
    > Work:
    > ME
    > Broadband.
    >
    > PS. I know sweet FA about servers, readers etc., please be kind.

    BT's news servers are legendary for their appalling quality. I thin they
    power them with an elderly gerbil on a rusty wheel. If you want guaranteed
    content, you're going to have to pay for it.
    Trent SC, May 13, 2004

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > I am having problems with 'News' reader.
    >
    > I use two Bt. sites, one at work(Broadband) and the other at home (Dial

    up)

    > The problem is I am missing some postings on Newsgroups. I can post a
    > message from work, which does not register at home and vice versa. I know
    > the messages have been posted, as I receive responses.I also miss some
    > messages from other posters.
    >
    > I have gone into 'Directory Services' and the readers are Bigfoot,
    > Infospace,Verisign & Who,Where. All connections show as LAN. These show at
    > both locations. I 'munge' my news address from both sites.
    >
    > Is there some way of returning to basic config at both sites so I can see
    > and respond to all posts?
    >
    > e-mails are fine.
    >
    > Home:
    > Win 98 SE
    > 56K
    >
    > Work:
    > ME
    > Broadband.
    >
    > PS. I know sweet FA about servers, readers etc., please be kind.
    >
    > tia
    >
    > Ray

    Sorry I should have mentioned I use OE6 in both cases.
    Ray, May 13, 2004
  4. Ray

    Rifleman Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > I am having problems with 'News' reader.
    >
    > I use two Bt. sites, one at work(Broadband) and the other at home (Dial

    up)

    > The problem is I am missing some postings on Newsgroups. I can post a
    > message from work, which does not register at home and vice versa. I know
    > the messages have been posted, as I receive responses.I also miss some
    > messages from other posters.
    >
    > I have gone into 'Directory Services' and the readers are Bigfoot,
    > Infospace,Verisign & Who,Where. All connections show as LAN. These show at
    > both locations. I 'munge' my news address from both sites.
    >
    > Is there some way of returning to basic config at both sites so I can see
    > and respond to all posts?
    >
    > e-mails are fine.
    >
    > Home:
    > Win 98 SE
    > 56K
    >
    > Work:
    > ME
    > Broadband.
    >
    > PS. I know sweet FA about servers, readers etc., please be kind.
    >
    > tia
    >
    > Ray

    Don't bother with BT - go to www.individual.net and register with them. It's
    free, you can access it from any internet connection, their retention is
    very good, and you will see the same posts at home as you do at work. A lot
    of the regulars here use them.
    Rifleman, May 13, 2004
  5. Ray

    Stickems Guest

    Tools/Options/Read/untick the box under News - get headers

    Stickems, May 13, 2004
  6. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > I am having problems with 'News' reader.

    <snip>

    > Don't bother with BT - go to www.individual.net and register with them.

    It's
    > free, you can access it from any internet connection, their retention is
    > very good, and you will see the same posts at home as you do at work. A

    lot
    > of the regulars here use them.

    Thanks 'Rifleman, I'll get it sorted one day:)

    Ray, May 13, 2004
  7. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Stickems" <> wrote in message
    > Tools/Options/Read/untick the box under News - get headers

    No change, but thanks. From what I gather Bt. are crap.

    Ray
    Ray, May 13, 2004
  8. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > I am having problems with 'News' reader.

    <snip>

    > BT's news servers are legendary for their appalling quality. I thin they
    > power them with an elderly gerbil on a rusty wheel. If you want

    guaranteed
    > content, you're going to have to pay for it.

    Pay for it? I'm from Yorkshire;-)
    Thanks all the same
    Ray.

    Ray, May 13, 2004