    attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    download all the headers and slow.

    David

    David, Nov 1, 2004

  2. David

    Z Guest

    David wrote:
    > attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    > download all the headers and slow.
    >
    > David

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    Ahh its good that there are people to remind us of this every few
    minutes in a new thread.

    <Yawn>
    Z, Nov 1, 2004

  3. David wrote:
    > attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    > download all the headers and slow.

    thats because Infogen are Orcon now, and Orcons news service sucks.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Z wrote:
    >> attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    >> download all the headers and slow.

    > Ahh its good that there are people to remind us of this every few
    > minutes in a new thread.
    > <Yawn>

    he probably isn't aware that his visp is hanging off orcon.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
  5. David

    David Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:56:28 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Z wrote:
    >>> attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    >>> download all the headers and slow.

    >> Ahh its good that there are people to remind us of this every few
    >> minutes in a new thread.
    >> <Yawn>

    >he probably isn't aware that his visp is hanging off orcon.

    i do now orcon sucks then

    David, Nov 2, 2004
  6. David wrote:
    >>>Ahh its good that there are people to remind us of this every few
    >>>minutes in a new thread.
    >>><Yawn>

    >>he probably isn't aware that his visp is hanging off orcon.

    > i do now orcon sucks then

    yep, I suggest you email Genesis energy and tell them about the hassles
    you've been having with them since the change over, make them aware of it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  7. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:51:43 +1300, David wrote:

    > attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    > download all the headers and slow.

    On Orcon, yes. Thankfully I got a free news account with someone else a
    long time ago when Orcon first started to play up.

    It's pretty piss poor when FREE services are better than the one you are
    paying for.

    So, why not use the free one ? Well, if Orcon likes to reduce my charges by
    ~$10 a month (about the cost of a usenet provider from overseas - there is
    no gauarntees the free one will last), I'll do that.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The English instinctively admire any man who has no talent and is modest about it." -- James Agate

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/11/2004 12:31:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 2, 2004
  8. David

    Hmmm Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:51:43 +1300, David wrote:
    >

    >>attar shit the newsgroups now impossible to
    >>download all the headers and slow.

    > On Orcon, yes. Thankfully I got a free news account with someone else a
    > long time ago when Orcon first started to play up.
    >
    > It's pretty piss poor when FREE services are better than the one you are
    > paying for.
    >
    > So, why not use the free one ? Well, if Orcon likes to reduce my charges by
    > ~$10 a month (about the cost of a usenet provider from overseas - there is
    > no gauarntees the free one will last), I'll do that.

    where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    They provide an internet connection.. anything else is bonus material..

    :)
    Hmmm, Nov 2, 2004
  9. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:08:26 +1300, Hmmm wrote:

    > where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    > ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide one
    and it is now a consumer expectation.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Our civilisation is still in a middle stage, no longer wholly guided by
    instinct, not yet wholly guided by reason"

    Theodore Dreiser, American author.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/11/2004 10:36:09 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    * THE BELOW ADVERT IS NOT MY WORK AND IS APPENDED AGAINST MY WISHES. *
    * NEWSFEEDS.COM'S CLAIM OF 100,000 GROUPS IS BOGUS AS MANY OF THEM *
    * ARE ILLEGITIMATE AND DELETED BY MOST OTHERS. NEWSFEEDS.COM CANNOT *
    *BE TRUSTED. THEY USE YOUR DISCUSSION AS A VEHICLE FOR SPAMMING USENET.*
    Brendan, Nov 2, 2004
  10. David

    Allistar Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:08:26 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    >> ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    > The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    > one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 2, 2004
  11. David

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Allistar <> provided this
    moment of wisdom:

    >Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:08:26 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >>
    >>> where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    >>> ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    >> The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    >> one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    >Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    >provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    No, obviously, the CGA is very general rather than industry specific.

    What the CGA does state is - "goods" must be fit for the "purpose
    intended". Which raises a question - does the CGA also cover services?
    (Off the top of my head, I don't know - maybe someone else does?).

    So, assuming that the CGA does cover services (wild unverified
    statement - based on my previous sentence), then if an ISP provides a
    newsfeed, a customer could realistically expect that newsfeed to be
    fit for the purpose intended - and that opens a whole can of worms if
    the ISP is providing a deficient newsfeed service. The same could also
    apply to email, www, hosting, etc......

    /Begin Sig
    Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    /End Sig
    Ryan Jacobs, Nov 2, 2004
  12. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:48:53 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > No, obviously, the CGA is very general rather than industry specific.
    >
    > What the CGA does state is - "goods" must be fit for the "purpose
    > intended". Which raises a question - does the CGA also cover services?
    > (Off the top of my head, I don't know - maybe someone else does?).
    >
    > So, assuming that the CGA does cover services (wild unverified
    > statement - based on my previous sentence), then if an ISP provides a
    > newsfeed, a customer could realistically expect that newsfeed to be
    > fit for the purpose intended - and that opens a whole can of worms if
    > the ISP is providing a deficient newsfeed service. The same could also
    > apply to email, www, hosting, etc......

    Exactly. At least someone else here has half a clue about the CGA act...

    And it does cover services as well, any episode of Fair Go would tell you
    that.

    In addition, ISP's are also controlled by the Fair Trading Act amongst
    others.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." -- Sean O'Casey

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/11/2004 1:20:31 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 2, 2004
  13. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    >> one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    > Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    > provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    Well, "Allistar", the Act requires that products must conform with the
    reasonable expectations of the consumer.

    As all other ISP's of note provide NNTP, it is therefore reasonable to
    expect it from Orcon. And it must also be of merchantable quality.

    If they do not wish to, they must list such an exception prominently, also
    in accordance with the Act.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying.
    Christian F. Gellert

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/11/2004 1:15:02 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 2, 2004
  14. David

    Hmmm Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >

    >>>The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    >>>one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    >>Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    >>provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    > Well, "Allistar", the Act requires that products must conform with the
    > reasonable expectations of the consumer.
    >
    > As all other ISP's of note provide NNTP, it is therefore reasonable to
    > expect it from Orcon. And it must also be of merchantable quality.
    >
    > If they do not wish to, they must list such an exception prominently, also
    > in accordance with the Act.

    I'd love to see that try and hold up.
    ISP's don't have to provide a newsfeed at all.
    reemmber that orcon probably have 100 newsfeed posters at most our of
    how many thousand customers? so its a joke to see its a consumer
    expectatio for an isp to have a newsfeed, who are you trying to kid?

    even some isp's dont offer email services.

    Remember that an isp's primary role is simply to offer intneret access.
    Hmmm, Nov 2, 2004
  15. David

    Hmmm Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >

    >>>The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    >>>one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    >>Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    >>provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    > Well, "Allistar", the Act requires that products must conform with the
    > reasonable expectations of the consumer.
    >
    > As all other ISP's of note provide NNTP, it is therefore reasonable to
    > expect it from Orcon. And it must also be of merchantable quality.
    >
    > If they do not wish to, they must list such an exception prominently, also
    > in accordance with the Act.

    are you on crack? just because other companies offer a product, does not
    mean your company has to.

    Does orcon have to offer a gaming server? if all other isp's offer it?
    NO

    Does orcon have to offer an ftp server? no
    etc etc

    The role of an isp is simply to offer an internet connection, the
    definition of ISP is that, or have didn't you realise what those magical
    3 letters stand for? :)
    Hmmm, Nov 2, 2004
  16. Brendan wrote:
    >>where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    >>ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    > The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide one
    > and it is now a consumer expectation.

    so now ISPs arent allowed to offer or not, services that they dont want to?
    FFS Brendan, relax a little, and get of that mighty high horse you rode
    in on.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  17. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 3 Nov 2004
    01:51:58 +1300, Brendan <> says...
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    > >> The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide
    > >> one and it is now a consumer expectation.

    > > Really? Does the consumer guarantees act really state that an ISP must
    > > provide a newsfeed? I doubt it.

    > Well, "Allistar", the Act requires that products must conform with the
    > reasonable expectations of the consumer.
    >
    > As all other ISP's of note provide NNTP, it is therefore reasonable to
    > expect it from Orcon. And it must also be of merchantable quality.
    >
    > If they do not wish to, they must list such an exception prominently, also
    > in accordance with the Act.

    Bollocks

    Each ISP can choose what services they choose to offer. These vary
    widely.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 2, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 2 Nov
    2004 23:10:55 +1300, Brendan <> says...
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:08:26 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >
    > > where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    > > ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    > The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide one
    > and it is now a consumer expectation.

    It is not a consumer expectation because very few consumers actually use
    it.

    The CGA says that a business must provide reasonable customer service and
    guarantees etc on the services that it chooses to offer. It doesn't say
    what those services are.

    Orcon is not obligated in any way to offer a newsfeed service, just as
    there are some other ISPs which do not.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 2, 2004
  19. > As all other ISP's of note provide NNTP, it is therefore reasonable to
    > expect it from Orcon. And it must also be of merchantable quality.
    >
    > If they do not wish to, they must list such an exception prominently, also
    > in accordance with the Act.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA !

    Stay off drugs young man, they mess with your mind.

    Wouldn't you make life easier if you just went to a different ISP and
    stop bitching and moaning about Orcon all the time ?
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 2, 2004
  20. Patrick Dunford said the following on 3/11/2004 09:43:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 2 Nov
    > 2004 23:10:55 +1300, Brendan <> says...
    >
    >>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:08:26 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >>

    >>>where does it say that an isp has to provide a newsfeed at all?
    >>>ISP - Internet Service Provider....

    >>The Consumer's Guarantee's Act says it. All other notable ISP's provide one
    >>and it is now a consumer expectation.

    > It is not a consumer expectation because very few consumers actually use
    > it.
    >
    > The CGA says that a business must provide reasonable customer service and
    > guarantees etc on the services that it chooses to offer. It doesn't say
    > what those services are.
    >
    > Orcon is not obligated in any way to offer a newsfeed service, just as
    > there are some other ISPs which do not.

    I agree Patrick they dont have to offer it but the fact is they have/do
    and as such it has to be up to scratch according to the CGA.
    Also of course they could withdraw it instead of fixing it which is a
    strong posibility.

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain
    Collector»NZ, Nov 2, 2004