    that mentions cross-posting as "mention of another group". Was this guy
    talking out of his ass or does he have a point?

    thanks.

    hellrazor, Jul 16, 2004

  2. hellrazor

    Jim Berwick Guest

    hellrazor <> wrote in
    news:Xns95288AB35F745jorgeanotherworldcom@64.59.144.76:

    > that mentions cross-posting as "mention of another group". Was this guy
    > talking out of his ass or does he have a point?

    Talking out his ass.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 16, 2004

  3. hellrazor

    Alex B Guest

    If you want the definition of crossposting, look for posts by "We live for
    the one we die for the one" ;-)

    Alex B, Jul 16, 2004
  4. hellrazor wrote:

    > Today I was accused of cross-posting because I mentioned another
    > newsgroup in the body of my post (it was a comp.os.* group). I have
    > not seen any FAQ that mentions cross-posting as "mention of another
    > group". Was this guy talking out of his ass or does he have a point?

    Probably the latter. Crossposting is posting the same message with
    multiple group names in the distribution. Okay if you don't get carried
    away with it: not many groups, and only relevant groups. Multiposting
    is *separately* posting (only one newsgroup each) the same post to
    multiple groups; this is worse.

    But possibly something else you did pissed off some people. What's the
    Message-ID of the post in question?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    New Pieces of Shakespeare Manuscript Found Near Salt Lake City USA
    Sorry - penguins only: http://snipurl.com/scolius (at blinkynet)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2004
  5. hellrazor

    hellrazor Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > hellrazor wrote:
    >
    >> Today I was accused of cross-posting because I mentioned another
    >> newsgroup in the body of my post (it was a comp.os.* group). I have
    >> not seen any FAQ that mentions cross-posting as "mention of another
    >> group". Was this guy talking out of his ass or does he have a point?

    > Probably the latter. Crossposting is posting the same message with
    > multiple group names in the distribution. Okay if you don't get carried
    > away with it: not many groups, and only relevant groups. Multiposting
    > is *separately* posting (only one newsgroup each) the same post to
    > multiple groups; this is worse.
    >
    > But possibly something else you did pissed off some people. What's the
    > Message-ID of the post in question?

    Message ID of parent post:

    Xns95277616972CAjorgeanotherworldcom@64.59.144.76

    I may have pissed them off, but I moved the discussion out of the NG where
    people were complaining. Then he follows me to the other newsgroup and
    tells me that I'm cross posting because I mentioned the other NG.

    hellrazor, Jul 17, 2004
  6. hellrazor

    Boomer Guest

    hellrazor <> wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> hellrazor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today I was accused of cross-posting because I mentioned
    >>> another newsgroup in the body of my post (it was a comp.os.*
    >>> group). I have not seen any FAQ that mentions cross-posting as
    >>> "mention of another group". Was this guy talking out of his
    >>> ass or does he have a point?

    >> Probably the latter. Crossposting is posting the same message
    >> with multiple group names in the distribution. Okay if you
    >> don't get carried away with it: not many groups, and only
    >> relevant groups. Multiposting is *separately* posting (only
    >> one newsgroup each) the same post to multiple groups; this is
    >> worse.
    >>
    >> But possibly something else you did pissed off some people.
    >> What's the Message-ID of the post in question?
    >>

    > Message ID of parent post:
    >
    > Xns95277616972CAjorgeanotherworldcom@64.59.144.76
    >
    > I may have pissed them off, but I moved the discussion out of
    > the NG where people were complaining. Then he follows me to the
    > other newsgroup and tells me that I'm cross posting because I
    > mentioned the other NG.

    He doesn't seem to be 'following' you.
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++

    You started posting at:
    comp.lang.c++ AND comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    on the 15th (Cross posting.)

    He asked you to stop.

    He appears to post at both groups separately.

    Ignore... and post to the correct group with a new subject line like
    "win api return value" or something. <sigh>

    Boomer, Jul 17, 2004
  7. hellrazor wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> hellrazor wrote:

    >>> Today I was accused of cross-posting because I mentioned another
    >>> newsgroup in the body of my post (it was a comp.os.* group). I have
    >>> not seen any FAQ that mentions cross-posting as "mention of another
    >>> group". Was this guy talking out of his ass or does he have a point?

    >> Probably the latter. Crossposting is posting the same message with
    >> multiple group names in the distribution. Okay if you don't get carried
    >> away with it: not many groups, and only relevant groups. Multiposting
    >> is *separately* posting (only one newsgroup each) the same post to
    >> multiple groups; this is worse.

    >> But possibly something else you did pissed off some people. What's the
    >> Message-ID of the post in question?

    > Message ID of parent post:

    > Xns95277616972CAjorgeanotherworldcom@64.59.144.76

    > I may have pissed them off, but I moved the discussion out of the NG where
    > people were complaining. Then he follows me to the other newsgroup and
    > tells me that I'm cross posting because I mentioned the other NG.

    Well, you did crosspost the original, which your first description of the
    issue here did not reveal. Here's the Newsgroups header from that post:

    Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    But if you removed the complaining group from subsequent replies, that's about
    all you can do at that point. Perhaps others didn't, and you ended up
    taking the heat for that.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2004
  8. hellrazor

    ^Hellrazor^ Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > hellrazor wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>> Probably the latter. Crossposting is posting the same message with
    >>> multiple group names in the distribution. Okay if you don't get
    >>> carried away with it: not many groups, and only relevant groups.
    >>> Multiposting is *separately* posting (only one newsgroup each) the
    >>> same post to multiple groups; this is worse.

    >>> But possibly something else you did pissed off some people. What's
    >>> the Message-ID of the post in question?

    >> Message ID of parent post:

    >> Xns95277616972CAjorgeanotherworldcom@64.59.144.76

    >> I may have pissed them off, but I moved the discussion out of the NG
    >> where people were complaining. Then he follows me to the other
    >> newsgroup and tells me that I'm cross posting because I mentioned the
    >> other NG.

    > Well, you did crosspost the original, which your first description of
    > the issue here did not reveal. Here's the Newsgroups header from that
    > post:
    >
    > Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    >
    > But if you removed the complaining group from subsequent replies,
    > that's about all you can do at that point. Perhaps others didn't, and
    > you ended up taking the heat for that.

    The original, yes.. I'm guilty. But subsequent ones, he says I continued
    cross-posting because I mentioned the newsgroup.. bahumbug to that BS!

    ^Hellrazor^, Jul 17, 2004