    server that supports Xnews? I am sending through some company I have
    never used right now and my account will expire every nintey, I really
    don't like that idea.

    Rosco, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Rosco

    Boomer Guest

    Rosco, <> wrote:

    > My ISP is getting worse and worse. They are steadily decreasing
    > my bandwidth, while raising prices and restricting services.
    > They were great when they started, but now they have been bought
    > out. Anyway, my ISP's news server is down, they claim
    > temporarily but the last temporary problem that will be fixed in
    > 24 hours took four months...... So to my question, does anyone
    > know of a free or low cost newsgroup server

    I like Octanews. www.octanews.com

    You can also read through these groups.
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    alt.free.newsservers

    Boomer, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Rosco

    Jim PKP Guest

    For the sake of the children, in article
    <>, rosco111
    @shawREMOVECAPSWHENREPLYINGus.com said...
    > My ISP is getting worse and worse. They are steadily decreasing my
    > bandwidth, while raising prices and restricting services. They were
    > great when they started, but now they have been bought out. Anyway, my
    > ISP's news server is down, they claim temporarily but the last
    > temporary problem that will be fixed in 24 hours took four months......
    > So to my question, does anyone know of a free or low cost newsgroup
    > server that supports Xnews? I am sending through some company I have
    > never used right now and my account will expire every nintey, I really
    > don't like that idea.

    teranews is good. if you don't need binaries, its a once-off payment of
    (AFAIR) $3.

    --
    Jim PKP

    Jim PKP, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Rosco

    Rifleman Guest

    if you don't want binaries, try www.individual.net

    Rifleman, Jan 16, 2004
  5. "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > Rosco, <> wrote:
    >
    > > My ISP is getting worse and worse. They are steadily decreasing
    > > my bandwidth, while raising prices and restricting services.
    > > They were great when they started, but now they have been bought
    > > out. Anyway, my ISP's news server is down, they claim
    > > temporarily but the last temporary problem that will be fixed in
    > > 24 hours took four months...... So to my question, does anyone
    > > know of a free or low cost newsgroup server

    > I like Octanews. www.octanews.com
    >
    > You can also read through these groups.
    > alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    > alt.free.newsservers
    >

    > that supports Xnews?
    > > I am sending through some company I have never used right now
    > > and my account will expire every nintey, I really don't like
    > > that idea.

    Hey Boomer,
    Why does the header in his post look different?

    Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:33:41 GMT
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Newsgroup Servers
    From: Rosco <>

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Rosco

    Boomer Guest

    Trai' La Trash, <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> Rosco, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > My ISP is getting worse and worse. They are steadily
    >> > decreasing my bandwidth, while raising prices and restricting
    >> > services. They were great when they started, but now they
    >> > have been bought out. Anyway, my ISP's news server is down,
    >> > they claim temporarily but the last temporary problem that
    >> > will be fixed in 24 hours took four months...... So to my
    >> > question, does anyone know of a free or low cost newsgroup
    >> > server

    >> I like Octanews. www.octanews.com
    >>
    >> You can also read through these groups.
    >> alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    >> alt.free.newsservers
    >>

    >> that supports Xnews?
    >> > I am sending through some company I have never used right now
    >> > and my account will expire every nintey, I really don't like
    >> > that idea.
    >> >

    > Hey Boomer,
    > Why does the header in his post look different?

    Different than what?

    Boomer, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Rosco

    trout Guest

    Trai' La Trash wrote:
    <snip>

    > Hey Boomer,
    > Why does the header in his post look different?

    It's largely up to the server. Each may have its own protocol for
    the format and content of message headers.
    --
    "*Some* have next-to-no information, at all. Like the ones that don't
    mind profit from spammers."

    trout, Jan 16, 2004
  8. trout <> wrote:
    > Trai' La Trash wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Hey Boomer,
    >> Why does the header in his post look different?

    > It's largely up to the server. Each may have its own protocol for
    > the format and content of message headers.

    Ahhhh I SEE said the blind man.
    Yeah it was azz backwards compared to what I'm used to seeing.

    Tanks,

    Trai'

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 17, 2004