    Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.

    So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
    please.
    Dangerous Dave, May 15, 2006

  2. Dangerous Dave

    Gordon Guest

    Dangerous Dave wrote:

    > My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
    > newsgroups!!
    > The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
    > Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
    > I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
    > (won't
    > always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
    >
    > I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
    > Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
    >
    > So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
    > please.

    news.individual.net is ALMOST free (10 Euros a year), gives EXCELLENT
    service, but doesn't carry all the binary groups. A lot of regulars here
    use it.

    http://www.individual.net

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 15, 2006

  3. Dangerous Dave wrote:

    > So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
    > please.

    Someone already suggested news.individual.net, but if you want binaries,
    you can get them here for a nominal cost:

    http://www.x-privat.org/international.php

    I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for it.

    rl
    --
    You must be the change you wish to see
    in the world. Mohandas K. Gandhi
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 15, 2006
  4. Dangerous Dave

    Gordon Guest

    Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

    > I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for it.

    Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their customers
    DON'T pay for them!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 15, 2006
  5. Dangerous Dave

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 19:06:24 +0100, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their customers
    >DON'T pay for them!

    Umm yeah, you pay for your usenet access whether you 'pay' or not.
    Think about it. :-D
    Evan Platt, May 15, 2006
  6. Dangerous Dave

    Mark S. Guest

    "Dangerous Dave" <> wrote in message
    > My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
    > newsgroups!!
    > The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
    > Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
    > I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
    > (won't
    > always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
    >
    > I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
    > Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
    >
    > So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
    > please.

    I use nntp.aioe.org which is free.
    Mark S., May 15, 2006
  7. >Umm yeah, you pay for your usenet access whether you 'pay' or not.
    >Think about it. :-D

    My thougts entirely, Evan.
    Wanadoo have reduced my service but not reduced the payments.

    Anyway thanks everyone. I gonna try individual.net and see how I get on.
    Dangerous Dave, May 15, 2006
  8. Dangerous Dave posted for all of us...
    I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

    > My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
    > newsgroups!!
    > The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
    > Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
    > I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
    > (won't
    > always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
    >
    > I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
    > Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
    >
    > So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
    > please.

    free.teranews.net
    --
    Tekkie
    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?=, May 16, 2006
  9. Dangerous Dave

    Vanguard Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >

    >> I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for
    >> it.
    >>

    > Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their
    > customers
    > DON'T pay for them!

    If an ISP provided NNTP service which was included with all the services
    for which you paid and then they drop that service but do not lower the
    price then they have effectively increased their cost to their customer.
    The eliminated the manpower, equipment, and resources needed to maintain
    an NNTP server. Then they discontinued with that expense but did not
    pass it on to their customer. So you lose a service rather than pay an
    increase in your monthly rate. Many ISPs don't want to support
    newsgroups so they dump them but do not pass the cost savings to their
    customers - and, YES, you were paying for it before. When a service is
    included in a contract then it does have value and that value is
    included in the total cost. When the service is changed then you have
    lost that value which you are STILL paying for! Raising costs or do it
    more cheaply but keep the pricing the same results in the same effect:
    the service costs more.

    The reason why many ISPs yank the NNTP service as a likely candidate (to
    lower services but keep prices the same) is that they don't specifically
    cover that service in their contract of services or products agreed to
    by the customer when they enlisted that provider. In most cases, the
    paperwork that the customer signs is the "User Agreement" and the ISP
    ends up not promising anything; i.e., you agree how you use their
    service but they can change what is their "service" any time they want.
    My ISP's Terms of Service policy says:

    "Comcast reserves the right to determine, in its discretion, and on an
    ongoing basis, the nature and extent of its facilities allocated to
    support the Service, including, but not limited to, the amount of
    bandwidth to be utilized and delivered in conjunction with the Service."

    The "Service" is the general term for all services they provide (they
    never define it) so it is also at their discretion as to what
    constitutes that Service. In fact, to that end, they also state:

    "Comcast may, in it sole discretion, change, add to or remove portions
    of the Service (including without limitation content, functionality,
    hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and
    downstream rate limitations) at any time without notice."

    What they give you is whatever *they* decide to give you. You have no
    choice and no recource for arbitration or lawsuit for loss of services
    that you were paying for before, are still paying for due to the lack of
    a price reduction after the service is removed, and they really enjoy
    "servicing" you royal.
    Vanguard, May 16, 2006
  10. Dangerous Dave

    Plato Guest