    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    Bev, May 23, 2004

  2. Bev

    Joe Lee Guest

    "Bev" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    > came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    > my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    > more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    > someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    > preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    You will need to register with the newsserver or ISP which carries it.
    Joe Lee

    Joe Lee, May 23, 2004

  3. Bev

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, Bev wrote:

    >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in

    What is the server name?

    Is it a subscription / free service?

    Is the group here?

    >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if

    NS 4.7 isn't so nice for multiple newsservers / multiple passwords.
    What you may need to do is setup multiple profiles instead, with
    different usernames / passwords. However this means the mail/news data
    are all split from each other.

    You may want to try Thunderbird
    or any other news reader often mentioned in 24HSHD.

    >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    >preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    If it's not your own ISP / password used to login then you won't get rid
    of the window. Most likely NS already tried the current
    password/username and it didn't work.

    Me

    why?, May 23, 2004
  4. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
    <>
    Bev scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 23, 2004
  5. Bev

    Richard Guest

    Bev wrote:

    > I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    > came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    > my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    > more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    > someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    > preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    > Bev
    > --
    > The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those wonderful
    lists.
    Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated since.
    Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.

    Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account with
    that service.
    But you can also try using any username and for a password use "anonymous"
    or 'guest".

    Richard, May 23, 2004
  6. Bev

    Bev Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.
    >
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
    > <>
    > Bev scrawled:
    >
    > >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    > >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    > >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    > >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    > >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    > >preferences but can't see any way to change it.
    > >
    > >Bev

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
    were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.

    Thanks for the info. Me. I found the newsgroup at the Google Advanced
    Search site.

    Bev

    Bev, May 23, 2004
  7. Bev

    Sunny Guest

    "Bev" <> wrote in message
    > "°Mike°" wrote:
    > >
    > > Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.
    > >
    > > On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
    > > <>
    > > Bev scrawled:
    > >
    > > >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > > >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    > > >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    > > >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    > > >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    > > >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    > > >preferences but can't see any way to change it.
    > > >
    > > >Bev

    > > --
    > > Basic computer maintenance

    > I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
    > were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > Thanks for the info. Me. I found the newsgroup at the Google Advanced
    > Search site.

    msnews.microsoft.com = OK, no login username required.
    news.individual.net = Username etc. will be given by e-mail, in
    answer to your request to use their free server.
    http://news.individual.net/

    Sunny, May 23, 2004
  8. Bev wrote:
    > "°Mike°" wrote:

    >> Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.

    >> On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in <>
    >> Bev scrawled:

    >> >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    >> >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a
    >> >window came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried
    >> >putting in my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape
    >> >4.7 - I have a more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would
    >> >be grateful if someone could tell me how to get rid of this window.
    >> >I've looked under preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    >> >Bev

    >> -- Basic computer maintenance

    > I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
    > were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.

    The first one is free, and I assume the second one is, too. But does
    that mean you don't have to *register* to use them? No. I don't know
    about the MS one, but you do have to register at news.individual.net.
    And if you "tried putting in my usual user name", of *course* it
    wouldn't work with news.individual.net, unless you'd registered that
    name with them (and then used the password they sent you in email). You
    don't have one username/password that magically works with the entire
    universe.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2004
  9. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Bev wrote:
    >
    > > I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > > servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    > > came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    > > my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    > > more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    > > someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    > > preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    > > Bev
    > > --
    > > The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    > So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those wonderful
    > lists.
    > Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated since.
    > Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.
    >
    > Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account with
    > that service.
    > But you can also try using any username and for a password use "anonymous"
    > or 'guest".

    I actually got the two servers listed from this group and didn't go to
    the free list. I used my own password because I thought trying any
    password just might work :) (just putting anything in, as per Richard's
    advice).

    I've never bothered with other servers before so found the advice given
    here helpful. Although my server is pretty good it has been annoying
    when a newsgroup I want isn't listed with them. Thanks.

    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    Bev, May 24, 2004
  10. Bev

    Richard Guest

    Bev wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >>
    >> Bev wrote:
    >>
    > >> I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    > >> servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a
    > >> window came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried
    > >>putting in my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7
    > >>- I have a more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be
    > >>grateful if someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've
    > >>looked under preferences but can't see any way to change it.

    > >> Bev
    > >> --
    > >> The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    >> So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those
    >> wonderful lists. Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated
    >>since. Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.
    >> Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account
    >> with that service. But you can also try using any username and for a
    >>password use "anonymous" or 'guest".

    > I actually got the two servers listed from this group and didn't go to
    > the free list. I used my own password because I thought trying any
    > password just might work :) (just putting anything in, as per Richard's
    > advice).

    > I've never bothered with other servers before so found the advice given
    > here helpful. Although my server is pretty good it has been annoying
    > when a newsgroup I want isn't listed with them. Thanks.

    If you're trying out the server from "DE", that is a free one, you must
    contact them and they will send you a username/password.

    Richard, May 24, 2004
  11. Bev

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:41:20 +1200, Bev <> scribbled:

    >) (just putting anything in, as per Richard's advice).

    Don't take St00pid's advice.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, May 24, 2004
  12. Bev, don't listen to richard, rTs, Bullischitt. Google Richard
    Bullis or rTs and you will understand all.....

    Bev <> chiseled in stone, the following words

    > Richard the St00pid wrote absolutely nothing of importance:

    >> Bev wrote:
    >> > I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of
    >> > news servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access
    >> > it a window came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I
    >> > tried putting in my usual user name but it didn't work. I use
    >> > Netscaape 4.7 - I have a more recent one but don't like the
    >> > lay-out. I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to get
    >> > rid of this window. I've looked under preferences but can't see
    >> > any way to change it.

    >> > Bev

    <schnippen the idiot pedophile's advice>

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 24, 2004
  13. Bev

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:22:57 +1200, Bev wrote:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
    >> <>
    >> Bev scrawled:
    >>
    >> >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
    >> >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
    >> >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
    >> >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
    >> >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
    >> >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
    >> >preferences but can't see any way to change it.
    >> >
    >> >Bev

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    >I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
    >were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.

    The ms one is free, and looks like it doesn't need registered IIRC.
    However with NS 4.72 I was prompted for a name/password. For these I
    entered 's' and 's' or simply click Cancel. The newsgroup properties for
    name/password is set to ask only when necessary.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 25, 2004
  14. Bev

    Bev Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:

    > Bev, don't listen to richard, rTs, Bullischitt. Google Richard
    > Bullis or rTs and you will understand all.....
    >
    > Bev <> chiseled in stone, the following words
    >
    > > Richard the St00pid wrote absolutely nothing of importance:

    > <schnippen the idiot pedophile's advice>
    >
    > > I actually got the two servers listed from this group and didn't go to
    > > the free list. I used my own password because I thought trying any
    > > password just might work :) (just putting anything in, as per
    > > Richard's advice).
    > >
    > > I've never bothered with other servers before so found the advice
    > > given here helpful. Although my server is pretty good it has been
    > > annoying when a newsgroup I want isn't listed with them. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Bev

    > --
    > @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html
    > www.givemeals.com www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    > "This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
    > belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~

    I have registered with the free server, Individual Net.
    They have sent me a user name and password and I can now access the
    newsgroup I wanted from their list. Yeahhhhhh. Thanks for the help
    everyone.

    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    Bev, May 25, 2004