    have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
    vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
    by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.
    Ray Donzdorf, Jan 30, 2004

  2. You can't go wrong with GigaNews.

    http://www.giganews.com

    I wouldn't switch for 'nuttin honey....;oD

    "Ray Donzdorf" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:YwhSb.1904$:

    --
    @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Ray Donzdorf

    Boomer Guest

    Ray Donzdorf, <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Now comes the question. How, who, where can I get
    > unlimited Newsgroup downloads? Do I have to subscribe to another
    > provider who is going to rip me off with hidden costs?

    [snip]

    Read through these groups:
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    alt.free.newsservers
    Boomer, Jan 30, 2004
  4. On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:35:43 -0600, @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

    > You can't go wrong with GigaNews.
    >
    > http://www.giganews.com

    Yup I'd second that. Especially after using Virgin Net's abysmal Sinclair
    ZX81 based news-server.

    > I wouldn't switch for 'nuttin honey....;oD
    >
    > "Ray Donzdorf" <> chiseled in stone, the
    > following words
    >
    >> I recently got earthlink cable on my system. I was not aware that there
    >> is a download quota on newsgroups.
    >> Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower
    >> when one reaches newsgroup download quota. I am also using NewsRover
    >> which is always searching and downloading files.
    >>
    >> What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
    >> dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now
    >> comes the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup
    >> downloads? Do I have to subscribe to another provider who is going to
    >> rip me off with hidden costs?
    >>
    >> Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I
    >> should have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to
    >> the vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno
    >> via a CD by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.

    --
    Michael Turner
    michael turner, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Ray Donzdorf

    Willy Skass Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:32 GMT, "Ray Donzdorf"
    <> wrote:

    SNIP SNIP SNIP

    >Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
    >have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
    >vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
    >by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.

    I'm using Athena News www.athenanews.com and while it isn't
    free, it's not bad. They have 3 plans: 1gigabyte d/l per day for
    $5.95 a month; 2 gigs a day for $9.95 a month; and 5 gigs a day for
    $19.95 a month. They go on a month to month basis. Or, you can pay
    for six or twelve months and get some decent discounts.

    Retention rate is good, and what I really like about them is the group
    count, they currently have 133,264 groups available.

    BTW: I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a
    satisfied customer.
    Willy Skass, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Ray Donzdorf

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I recently got earthlink cable on my system.

    Very sorry to hear that. Earthlink's newsgroup server(s) flat-out
    suck. There is no question of this.

    >Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower when
    >one reaches newsgroup download quota.

    I haven't been with them in almost a year but it sounds like the same
    old crap to me. Tell me, are they still hiding behind that "newstest2"
    crap? You know - the server that has been being upgraded for years...
    Bah.

    >What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
    >dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now comes
    >the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup downloads? Do I
    >have to subscribe to another provider who is going to rip me off with hidden
    >costs?

    Take your pick. If you can afford it, Giganews is probably the best,
    but they charge based on usage (say, 6GB/month for $xx) You probably
    won't find NSP that'll give you unlimited access at your top speed.

    >Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
    >have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
    >vatican

    I have issues with Earthlink that don't even account for their
    piss-poor newsgroup (lack of)service... I do feel your pain.

    >anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
    >by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.

    Oddly enough, that is possible if you're willing to pay. I've seen
    adverts for it in (ahem) Usenet groups :)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jan 30, 2004
  7. Ray Donzdorf

    Nick Guest

    Athenanews is the worst newsgroup service out there. I had them for a
    month as I'm looking for a new service (usenet.com is awful nowadays)
    and while 5 gigs per day is good, there is no way to download that
    much as most files end up missing!

    Stay away from this service!

    Nick, Feb 9, 2004