    Why can I download message headers from a newsgroup on one server, but I
    can't on a different server? For example; alt.autos.toyota works fine
    on freenews.netfront.net, but not on news.east.earthlink.net.

    TC, Nov 10, 2003

  2. TC

    °Mike° Guest

    What newsgroups are and how they work
    http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/how-it-works.html

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:43:07 GMT, in
    <%_Qrb.21622$>
    TC scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 10, 2003

  3. TC

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:43:07 GMT, TC wrote:

    >How are newsgroups kept in sync across servers?

    Big question.

    Short answer.
    ISP runs a news server.
    ISP has agreements with other ISP to share newsfeeds.
    News server sends/receives posts.

    Others.
    www.google.com
    Searched English pages for
    how does usenet work.

    http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/inn/0316.htm
    http://tgos.org/newbie/general.html

    RFC 1036 - Standard for interchange of USENET messages
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html
    This document defines the standard format for the interchange of
    network News messages among USENET hosts.

    book
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/musenet/

    >Why can I download message headers from a newsgroup on one server, but I
    >can't on a different server? For example; alt.autos.toyota works fine
    >on freenews.netfront.net, but not on news.east.earthlink.net.

    Usenet is not an instant service.

    Ask your news service why it's not working. Give example of headers from
    1st source to show posts exist but are not getting through.

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2003