    said, in fact, there was no way to tell who was subscribed to a newsgroup.

    I know your ISP can log your activieies and perhaps the newsgroup servers as
    well, but is he right or should I get ready for the shackles and chains?

    gibberish, Sep 11, 2004

  2. gibberish

    anthonyberet Guest

    "gibberish" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My son downloaded a CD on tape from a newsgroup and when I scolded him for
    > potentially having us arrested for copywrite infringement he told me that
    > there was no way to trace downloaders from newsgroups--only uploaders. He
    > said, in fact, there was no way to tell who was subscribed to a newsgroup.
    >
    > I know your ISP can log your activieies and perhaps the newsgroup servers

    as
    > well, but is he right or should I get ready for the shackles and chains?

    ISP's, or at least Usenet providers could log your downloads, but I am not
    aware of any doing so.
    - Most fee-charging Usenet servers offer non-logging as a selling point, and
    I doubt any of the others could be bothered to keep logs anyway. They aren't
    obliged to (under the laws of any democracy AFAIK), and keeping logs would
    just increase their costs and legal responsibilities.
    As far as I know, no one has ever gotten into trouble for downloading legal
    but copyrighted files from Usenet.
    (And I do follow news about this stuff pretty closely).

    anthonyberet, Sep 11, 2004

  3. gibberish

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "gibberish" <> wrote in message
    > My son downloaded a CD on tape from a newsgroup and when I scolded him for
    > potentially having us arrested for copywrite infringement he told me that
    > there was no way to trace downloaders from newsgroups--only uploaders. He
    > said, in fact, there was no way to tell who was subscribed to a newsgroup.
    >
    > I know your ISP can log your activieies and perhaps the newsgroup servers

    as
    > well, but is he right or should I get ready for the shackles and chains?

    it's not the logging you should be worried about...
    scan your pc for trojans/virus/pr0n

    and if you want to fully immune yourself from the law,
    infect your system so as to make it a zombee. you can blame a hax0r for
    using your pc for illegal activities.
    this worked for a warez group member...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Sep 11, 2004
  4. gibberish

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "gibberish" <> wrote in

    > there was no way to trace downloaders from newsgroups--only uploaders.

    Completely false. If your ISP/news server wanted to, they can track every
    article you download.

    > He said, in fact, there was no way to tell who was subscribed to a
    > newsgroup.

    True.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 11, 2004
  5. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:19:50 -0500, "gibberish" <>
    wrote:

    >My son downloaded a CD on tape from a newsgroup and when I scolded him for
    >potentially having us arrested for copywrite infringement he told me that
    >there was no way to trace downloaders from newsgroups--only uploaders. He
    >said, in fact, there was no way to tell who was subscribed to a newsgroup.
    >
    >I know your ISP can log your activieies and perhaps the newsgroup servers as
    >well, but is he right or should I get ready for the shackles and chains?

    The Internet Police are on the way to your house this very minute to
    collect your son. Thanks for the tip lady.

    Special Agent

    Federal Bureau of Investigating, Sep 17, 2004