    groups if poss.

    Thanks for your help

    Gordon
    Gordon, Nov 23, 2010

  2. Gordon

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:33:51 -0000, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    >to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    >on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    >sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    >Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    >them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    >groups if poss.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >
    >Gordon

    Good no use google.
    Windows live, if you want, or get a dedicated newsreader such a agent
    forte.
    joevan, Nov 23, 2010

  3. Gordon

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Several have wondered if there is anyway to use OE (or WinMail in Vista) in Windows
    7.

    This page addresses some of the potential means to do so:

    http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    Peter Foldes, Nov 23, 2010
  4. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I
    > have to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so
    > any advice on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need
    > be, free always sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what
    > you pay for.

    MS thinks you should use WLM Windows Live Mail, which resembles OE
    significantly.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/looking-for-windows-mail You
    might have noticed that Windows Mail isn't included in Windows 7.
    However, you can install an e‑mail program from another company or
    Windows Live Mail—a free program that is part of Windows Live Essentials.

    Naturally WLM is capable of compatibility with your old OE messages.

    Most reviewers discourage trying to use OE from XP or WM Windows Mail
    from Vista.

    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    > them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use
    > Google groups if poss.

    Thunderbird is a popular mail/news client which is being actively
    developed and improved whereas other popular news agents don't also do
    mail and other popular mail agents don't also do news.

    Unlike OE which can handle binaries with helpers such as yProxy, Tbird
    is useless for binaries.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 23, 2010
  5. Gordon

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Scraggy"
    <> wrote:

    > "Gordon" wrote in message news:XGUGo.21189$2...
    >
    > Hi
    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems
    > I have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any
    > advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free
    > always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who
    > use them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use
    > Google
    > groups if poss.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > Windows Live Mail will do it, this reply is done using it.
    > Not perfect but it meets your #1 criteria!

    Well, it doesn't indicate what part of your followup was from the
    original post, and what part you wrote - that's a major shortcoming.

    > -- I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as
    > members. Groucho Marx

    It also doesn't separate your signature from your post - another major
    problem.

    Even the original Outlook Express did better than that.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 23, 2010
  6. Gordon

    Hot-Text Guest

    Windows Live Mail it come with windows 7
    that how I send this News to you!

    Hot-Text, Nov 23, 2010
  7. Gordon

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:33:51 -0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Hi
    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    > them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    > groups if poss.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gordon

    OE was replaced with "Windows live mail" and it does newsgroups.
    My favorite client is 40tude dialog.
    Forte Agent is also good.
    richard, Nov 23, 2010
  8. On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:33:51 -0000, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    >to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    >on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    >sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    >Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    >them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    >groups if poss.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >
    >Gordon

    If you install SeaMonkey ... you got a free program with:
    - Browser
    - Mail client
    -Newsgroup reader
    Raymond Schmit, Nov 23, 2010
  9. Gordon

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:56:00 +0000, Scraggy wrote:

    > "Gordon" wrote in message news:XGUGo.21189$2...
    >
    > Hi
    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I
    > have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any
    > advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free
    > always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for. Read
    > a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use them
    > and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    > groups if poss.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > Windows Live Mail will do it, this reply is done using it.

    And of course it totally fucks up quoting of previous posts so fucking
    badly that it looks as if you wrote a question and answer in one post.

    > Not perfect

    Understatement of the fucking century.

    > but it meets your #1 criteria!

    Hardly.

    > -- I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as
    > members. Groucho Marx

    ****, it can't even format a sig.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 24, 2010
  10. Gordon

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:33:51 -0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Hi
    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    > them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    > groups if poss.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gordon

    Very user friendly, with more bells and whistles than I'll ever use:
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    --
    11/23/2010 7:26:46 PM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo38, Nov 24, 2010
  11. Gordon

    Aardvark Guest

    You fat, leprous, nineteen-toed (or is it eighteen yet?) ****, DUH-ane.
    Take your fucking meds, for ****'s sake.

    Aardvark, Nov 24, 2010
  12. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote (using inline comments):

    > Scraggy wrote (whose reply had to be quoted since he didn't bother):
    >
    >> Gordon wrote ...
    >>
    >>> Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it
    >>> seems I have to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with
    >>> this OS, ...

    >> Windows Live Mail will do it, this reply is done using it. Not
    >> perfect but it meets your #1 criteria!

    > Well, it doesn't indicate what part of your followup was from the
    > original post, and what part you wrote - that's a major shortcoming.
    >
    >> -- I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as
    >> members. Groucho Marx

    > It also doesn't separate your signature from your post - another major
    > problem.
    >
    > Even the original Outlook Express did better than that.

    Version 15 of WLM got fucked up. Indentation (quoting) in plain-text
    replies of the quoted content is missing. It might not come back. So
    WLM is *not* recommended in Usenet where plain-text posts are
    recommended. The defect is also exhibited in e-mail when replying as
    plain-text. Microsoft chose to violate RFC 3676 which goes back to 2646
    which was ratified back in 1999. Use a different newsreader client than
    WLM, and even reconsider if you want to use it for e-mail since few
    e-mails actually require HTML (i.e., plain text is sufficient for the
    vast majority of e-mails).

    While Microsoft removed quoting of cited content in plain text replies
    in version 15 of WLM, quoting didn't work properly in ANY of Microsoft's
    e-mail & newsreader programs hence the often jerky quoted content (aka
    the jaggies). Rare few users are motivated enough to correct the
    incorrect quoting. They don't even do trimming of the quoted content in
    their replies.

    If you use WLM, *you* will have to do the proper quoting (i.e.,
    indentation using a prefix character). For example, Scraggy's reply was
    at the same level as the OP's (i.e., it was flat and cannot be
    differentiated).

    Since the OP mentioned being new to using a newsreader, suggesting a
    defective one does the OP disservice. Don't get the OP used to using a
    crappy newsreader where he has to do manual quoting himself. There has
    been no indication that Microsoft will return the proper quoting
    function for plain-text replies so WLM is likely to remain defective
    from now on. This means WLM can no longer be recommended as either an
    e-mail or newsreader client.
    VanguardLH, Nov 24, 2010
  13. Gordon

    Keith Guest

    In article <XGUGo.21189$2>, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    > them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    > groups if poss.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gordon

    Here are some ideas and programs:

    http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/usenet.html

    --
    Best Regards,

    Keith
    http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
    Keith, Nov 24, 2010
  14. Gordon

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:02:25 -0600, DUH-ane the fantasist wrote:

    > Are you past 100

    Yes, DUH-ane. It's 245 here.

    Aardvark, Nov 24, 2010
  15. Gordon

    M.L. Guest

    >Version 15 of WLM got fucked up. Indentation (quoting) in plain-text
    >replies of the quoted content is missing. It might not come back. So
    >WLM is *not* recommended in Usenet where plain-text posts are
    >recommended. The defect is also exhibited in e-mail when replying as
    >plain-text.

    I don't use WLM 2011 for newsgroups but no quoting defects appear in
    my plain text email replies.
    M.L., Nov 24, 2010
  16. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    > to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    > on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    > sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    > Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    > them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    > groups if poss.

    When it was supported, Outlook Express (OE) came bundled with Internet
    Explorer (IE). OE has long been unsupported program (which does not
    equate to unusable). You cannot get OE separately from IE. They came
    bundled together. As of IE7 and later, OE is no longer bundled with IE.
    IE6 was the last version that bundled OE with it. Microsoft isn't going
    to bundle unsupported products with supported products.

    Windows XP comes with IE6 as its baseline version hence why OE is
    available with that operating system. Vista comes with IE7 and Windows
    7 comes with IE8 as their baseline versions of that web browser. You
    cannot install earlier versions of IE on those Windows platforms.

    You could run VirtualPC, VMWare Server, VirtualBox, or other virtual
    machine managers (VMMs) on Vista/7 and then install a pre-Vista version
    of Windows in a virtual machine (VM) to have OE running inside that
    virtual machine. That requires installing the VMM, installing pre-Vista
    Windows in a virtual machine (VM), and then load that VM when you want
    to run OE. According to Microsoft's EULAs, you will need another
    license of Windows to run it inside a VM. That is a lot of work and
    nuisance along with the expense of 2 licenses for Windows (host and
    guest) to run a long-dead e-mail client.

    Windows 7 doesn't include a bundled e-mail or newsreader client. You'll
    have to choose one and install it. For the Professional and Ultimate
    editions of Windows 7, a license of Windows XP SP-3 is included called
    XP Mode. If you install XP Mode and then Windows VirtualPC (WVPC), you
    will have Windows XP available as a guest OS running inside a virtual
    machine. Windows XP comes with IE6 so OE6 will be available; see
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/Win7xpmode-IE6OE6.

    Note: Windows 7's XP Mode had required the CPU to support hardware-
    assisted virtualization (http://preview.tinyurl.com/wiki-CPUvm).
    Microsoft removed this limitation and now permits software-based
    virtualization (http://preview.tinyurl.com/XPmode-noHdweReq). Some
    VMMs will run faster using their own software code than the
    virtualization extensions added to the CPU (e.g., VirtualBox);
    however, VirtualPC 2007 is not so blessed. A guest OS running in a
    VM is significantly slower than the host OS. Software-based VMs
    are slower than hardware-assisted VMs.

    Windows Mail (WM) is the e-mail client included in Windows Vista.
    Windows *Live* Mail (WLM) is the Microsoft's free replacement for both
    OE and WM which were also free. Windows 7 does not come with an e-mail
    and/or newsreader client pre-installed so you will have to install one.

    WLM download: http://download.live.com

    After installing just WLM, go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the
    unwanted extra foistware that Microsoft shoves onto your host, like the
    SignOn Assistant. While WLM is reminiscent of OE, it has some
    functional differences. For help, the WLM newsgroup is at:

    microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

    NOTE: As of version 15 for WLM, Microsoft blundered by removing
    support for quoting of original content in a plain-text reply, as
    required by RFC 2646/3676, section 4.5. That is, Microsoft chose to
    become non-compliant to an over decade old RFC. Indentation using
    the quoting character ">" was available in prior versions of WLM
    (and also in OE) for plain-text replies. It is gone as of v15 for
    WLM which results in lack of differentiation between new content in
    a reply to the content cited from the message to which you are
    replying (i.e., it's all flat now). Microsoft has screwed up WLM as
    of v15 so it is recommended to use a different (i.e., non-Microsoft)
    e-mail & news client solution.

    There are plenty of other e-mail and newsreader clients available. Many
    e-mail clients are free: Thunderbird (and derivatives; e.g., Sunbird),
    Pegasus Mail, Opera & Seamonkey (web/email/news client), Eudora
    (crippleware), and PIM programs that include e-mail functions, like
    EssentialPIM, and "cloud" desktops with e-mail, like Zimbra Desktop.
    Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients. For
    a webmail provider (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, your ISP's web
    interface), you only need a web browser and no local e-mail client. For
    newsreaders, there are many free choices: Forte Agent (don't bother with
    the ancient and crippled free version), Xnews, 40tude Dialog, XanaNews,
    MesNews, and Gravity. Clients like NewsBin, GrabIt, and Newsrover are
    designed for culling attachments from [multiple] posts in binary groups
    and are bad choices for conversational newsreaders. Also see
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/Usenet/ and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders. You can
    also ask in the alt.software.newsreaders for more help specifically with
    newsreaders.
    VanguardLH, Nov 24, 2010
  17. Gordon

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote:

    >Just installed windows 7, never used a newsgroup program but it seems I have
    >to with windows 7 as there is no outlook express with this OS, so any advice
    >on a good simple program free is poss but I will pay if need be, free always
    >sounds nicer to me, but I understand you only get what you pay for.
    >Read a few reviews on Google but I would rather hear from people who use
    >them and there must be a few in this group, I would rather not use Google
    >groups if poss.
    >
    >Thanks for your help

    If you want something powerful and lots of "bells and whistles" use Forte's
    "Agent" www.forteinc.com

    It has a 30 day free trial, then it's $30 to purchase.

    It has a learning curve, but IMHO it's worth the time. Also, the newsgroup
    "alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent" is an excellent support forum.

    If you want something free, try
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/usenet-newsreaders.shtml

    40tude Dialog (Windows) is pretty good.
    G. Morgan, Nov 24, 2010
  18. Gordon

    Tony Guest

    Bullshit i installed outlook from Office XP pro on one of my computers with windows 7
    home premium on it.

    Peter Foldes wrote:

    > Several have wondered if there is anyway to use OE (or WinMail in Vista) in Windows
    > 7.
    >
    > This page addresses some of the potential means to do so:
    >
    > http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job
    for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm
    of understandability

    Tony, Nov 24, 2010
  19. Gordon

    Hot-Text Guest

  20. Gordon

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: M.L.
    <> wrote:

    >>Version 15 of WLM got fucked up. Indentation (quoting) in plain-text
    >>replies of the quoted content is missing. It might not come back. So
    >>WLM is *not* recommended in Usenet where plain-text posts are
    >>recommended. The defect is also exhibited in e-mail when replying as
    >>plain-text.

    > I don't use WLM 2011 for newsgroups but no quoting defects appear in
    > my plain text email replies.

    The client you're using now left out the attribution line from your