Newsgroup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doug-kershaw@excite.com, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
    which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
    on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

    System Status
    10/31/2005
    We've make the server case in-sensitive to match the old server. This
    was the #1 problem reported. The pay users are now being switched.
    Please remove/create your server profile as the article numbers will
    change.
    10/31/2005
    We're seeing long pauses during login for the new free server. We're
    working on this. Please expect a few disconnects as we tune the new
    hardware.
    10/30/2005
    We have moved the free server to the new server. You will need to
    re-download all headers as the article numbers have changed. Premium
    users are also welcome to use the new free.teranews.com as well.
    Retention is is currently short, but it should grow as time goes on up
    to 20-30 days.

    I removed and re-download newsgroups but now I get nothing in any
    newsgroup I request either through OE or Free Agent, just a bunch of
    error messages about server not accepting requests

    Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails
    , Nov 3, 2005

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-03, <> wrote:
    > I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
    > which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
    > on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

    snip

    You only need one news-reader to read newsgroups from news-servers. I've
    heard that both those you mention do actually work.

    > Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails

    Look in the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:46:38 +0000, Whiskers <>
    wrote:

    >On 2005-11-03, <> wrote:
    >> I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
    >> which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
    >> on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

    >snip
    >
    >You only need one news-reader to read newsgroups from news-servers. I've
    >heard that both those you mention do actually work.
    >
    >> Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails

    >Look in the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers

    BIN OE6 ... honestly ... run firefox.. and get web mailed....
    they take ALL the heat and do ALL the weeding
    Agent is free yeah for newsgroups...
    Webmail will be a cinch... you'll love it..
    Andrew, Nov 3, 2005
  4. On 2 Nov 2005 21:10:51 -0800, wrote:

    >I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
    >which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
    >on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:
    >
    >System Status

    <snipped>

    Teranews isn't the very best news server out there, they probably give
    more trouble than they are worth.

    I find Octanews is reliable and good value, their block
    account is very cheap and has no expiry date. http://www.octanews.com

    In my opinion Free Agent will serve you better than MS OE 6 but then
    I'm probably biased because of being an Agent user myself.

    If you decide to keep using Free Agent visit the news group
    "alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent" you will find many other Agent
    users there and who provide excellent help.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Nov 4, 2005
  5. John Morrison wrote:

    > On 2 Nov 2005 21:10:51 -0800, wrote:

    > Teranews isn't the very best news server out there, they
    > probably give more trouble than they are worth.

    Perhaps that's short for Terriblenews. :)

    > I find Octanews is reliable and good value, their block
    > account is very cheap and has no expiry date.
    > http://www.octanews.com

    If one doesn't need bins, news.individual.net is rock solid and
    about a buck a month US (10 YooRows a year).

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks for all of the replies-i went to alt.free.newsservers and
    apparently Teranews along with others is a mess-I guess after the three
    or four years I have used it free, I will need to move on.
    , Nov 4, 2005
  7. Guest

    I just tried to cancel out Teranews and got the following:

    Your account has been canceled.

    It will continue to function for the next 9517 days. At any time during
    the next 9517 days you can reactivate your account completly free of
    charge by using the "Reactivate Account" button below.

    "If I live that long"

    :)
    , Nov 4, 2005
  8. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-04, <> wrote:
    > I just tried to cancel out Teranews and got the following:
    >
    > Your account has been canceled.
    >
    > It will continue to function for the next 9517 days. At any time during
    > the next 9517 days you can reactivate your account completly free of
    > charge by using the "Reactivate Account" button below.
    >
    > "If I live that long"
    >
    > :)

    They have a 26-year backlog on paper-work ;))

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 5, 2005