Newsgroup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bill, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on my desk top PC.
    It has the XP operating system.

    I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.

    I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post replies or new
    messages to Newsgroups. I get the following error message;

    "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'test', Account:
    'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net',
    Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
    filter)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number:
    0x800CCCA9"

    My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this problem in over
    three weeks. They obviously are
    not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was to change my
    password!!!

    I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no problem posting
    to Newsgroups with the same
    Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.

    I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my Laptop to my desk
    top but it will not copy over or
    replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub directory of
    Outlook.

    I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I get a message
    "This program is being used by another
    program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot delete the current
    Outlook Express so I can copy in
    the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?

    This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month. Can anyone
    provide a potential solution?
    Bill, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Bill

    bud Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on my desk top PC.
    > It has the XP operating system.
    >
    > I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
    >
    > I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post replies or new
    > messages to Newsgroups. I get the following error message;
    >

    > "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'test', Account:
    > 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net',
    > Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
    > filter)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number:
    > 0x800CCCA9"
    >
    > My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this problem in
    > over
    > three weeks. They obviously are
    > not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was to change my
    > password!!!
    >
    > I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no problem
    > posting
    > to Newsgroups with the same
    > Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
    >
    > I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my Laptop to my
    > desk
    > top but it will not copy over or
    > replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub directory of
    > Outlook.
    >
    > I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I get a message
    > "This program is being used by another
    > program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot delete the
    > current
    > Outlook Express so I can copy in
    > the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
    >
    > This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month. Can anyone
    > provide a potential solution?

    could be a corrupted Outbox.dbx file
    Search for and rename the Outbox.dbx file to Outbox.old and restart Outlook
    Express. A new Outbox.dbx file will be created the next time Outlook Express
    is started
    bud, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Bill

    Nepatsfan Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on
    > my desk top PC. It has the XP operating system.
    >
    > I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
    >
    > I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post
    > replies or new messages to Newsgroups. I get the following
    > error message;
    >

    > "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject
    > 'test', Account: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server:
    > 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response:
    > '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9"
    >
    > My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this
    > problem in over three weeks. They obviously are
    > not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was
    > to change my password!!!
    >
    > I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no
    > problem posting to Newsgroups with the same
    > Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
    >
    > I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my
    > Laptop to my desk top but it will not copy over or
    > replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub
    > directory of Outlook.
    >
    > I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I
    > get a message "This program is being used by another
    > program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot
    > delete the current Outlook Express so I can copy in
    > the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
    >
    > This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month.
    > Can anyone provide a potential solution?

    You might want to take a look at this article which suggests
    renaming outbox.dbx:

    Outlook Express Could Not Post Your Message: 441 Posting Failed
    http://tinyurl.com/2jeo

    If that doesn't solve your problem, you can look at this
    article:

    How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook
    Express in Windows XP

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
    Nepatsfan, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Bill

    Nepatsfan Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on
    > my desk top PC. It has the XP operating system.
    >
    > I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
    >
    > I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post
    > replies or new messages to Newsgroups. I get the following
    > error message;
    >

    > "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject
    > 'test', Account: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server:
    > 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response:
    > '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9"
    >
    > My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this
    > problem in over three weeks. They obviously are
    > not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was
    > to change my password!!!
    >
    > I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no
    > problem posting to Newsgroups with the same
    > Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
    >
    > I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my
    > Laptop to my desk top but it will not copy over or
    > replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub
    > directory of Outlook.
    >
    > I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I
    > get a message "This program is being used by another
    > program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot
    > delete the current Outlook Express so I can copy in
    > the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
    >
    > This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month.
    > Can anyone provide a potential solution?

    You might also want to take a look at an earlier thread that is
    similar to your problem:

    http://tinyurl.com/dce6p

    Scroll down to the post by MS-MVP Frank Saunders where he
    suggests creating a new identity in OE.

    Nepatsfan
    Nepatsfan, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Bill

    Cody Wheeler Guest

    that depends on what ur ISP is make sure u have the correct server settings
    like Wideopenwest server name is news.wowway.com you also may contact your
    internet or cable provider to get that information hope that helps I was
    having the same problem.

    Cody

    Cody Wheeler, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Bill

    LB Guest

    Did you go into safe mode, then try to delete it? Do you have a firewall
    that is not letting it thru?

    LB, Nov 12, 2005