    a corrupted password file - anyone know where its kept as there doesn't appear
    to be any way to access it from within Thunderbird.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Tony Raven

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Just about migrated from OE6 to Thunderbird 0.7.1 and everything seemed to be
    > OK. Just about to switch off OE to complete the migration and I suddenly
    > can't get onto the news servers - keeps asking for and rejecting the password.
    > Check that OE still works fine so sure its not the news server having a
    > problem. Decide to delete and reinstall the news account to no avail except
    > it corrupts a second news account in the process which has to be deleted as
    > well. Reinstall the first news account but it still has the problem. Must be
    > a corrupted password file - anyone know where its kept as there doesn't appear
    > to be any way to access it from within Thunderbird.
    >
    > Tony

    Are you certain that you are using the exact same user name and password? Case may be important with some servers (especially with passwords).

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Are you certain that you are using the exact same user name and
    > password? Case may be important with some servers (especially with
    > passwords).

    Yes. Fortunately I had downloaded and used earlier in the day Mozbackup
    which I ran and restored the original settings having tried deleting the
    news folder to try to get a clean start (but which didn't work)

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Tony Raven

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> Are you certain that you are using the exact same user name and
    >> password? Case may be important with some servers (especially with
    >> passwords).
    >>

    > Yes. Fortunately I had downloaded and used earlier in the day Mozbackup
    > which I ran and restored the original settings having tried deleting the
    > news folder to try to get a clean start (but which didn't work)
    >
    > Tony

    Tony

    Um, from your original post, it appears that Moz never worked on newsgroups, so resetting them to original settings wouldnt do much. Have you checked to see that the user names are the same as on OE?

    And once more, are you absolutely certain you are using the correct password for the account?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Um, from your original post, it appears that Moz never worked on
    > newsgroups, so resetting them to original settings wouldnt do much.
    > Have you checked to see that the user names are the same as on OE?
    >
    > And once more, are you absolutely certain you are using the correct
    > password for the account?

    Absolutely certain and I have the correct passwords. Newsgroups were
    working fine for two days before the password problem arose so I had
    entered the correct username and password. Don't be misled by the OE
    Newsreader in the original post - I reverted because Tbird had stopped
    working on newsgroups. If you look under my name you will find two
    Tbird posting from the two days before.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Tony Raven

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> Um, from your original post, it appears that Moz never worked on
    >> newsgroups, so resetting them to original settings wouldnt do much.
    >> Have you checked to see that the user names are the same as on OE?
    >>
    >> And once more, are you absolutely certain you are using the correct
    >> password for the account?
    >>

    > Absolutely certain and I have the correct passwords. Newsgroups were
    > working fine for two days before the password problem arose so I had
    > entered the correct username and password. Don't be misled by the OE
    > Newsreader in the original post - I reverted because Tbird had stopped
    > working on newsgroups. If you look under my name you will find two
    > Tbird posting from the two days before.
    >
    > Tony

    It would be a lot easier if you didnt snip or edit posts thanks. While everything is familiar to you, I have to rely on posts for information.

    What exact error message do you get when you try to access newsgroups now with TB?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Tony Raven

    Pun Krocker Guest

    On this day, 04/Jul/04 20:58, Tony Raven said the following:
    > Just about migrated from OE6 to Thunderbird 0.7.1 and everything seemed to be
    > OK. Just about to switch off OE to complete the migration and I suddenly
    > can't get onto the news servers - keeps asking for and rejecting the password.
    > Check that OE still works fine so sure its not the news server having a
    > problem. Decide to delete and reinstall the news account to no avail except
    > it corrupts a second news account in the process which has to be deleted as
    > well. Reinstall the first news account but it still has the problem. Must be
    > a corrupted password file - anyone know where its kept as there doesn't appear
    > to be any way to access it from within Thunderbird.
    >
    > Tony

    Tools > Options > Advanced > Passwords And Security

    --
    d[®_®]b PK

    interviewing people who can't talk
    for people who can't read."
    Pun Krocker, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:
    >>

    >>> Um, from your original post, it appears that Moz never worked on
    >>> newsgroups, so resetting them to original settings wouldnt do much.
    >>> Have you checked to see that the user names are the same as on OE?
    >>>
    >>> And once more, are you absolutely certain you are using the correct
    >>> password for the account?
    >>>

    >> Absolutely certain and I have the correct passwords. Newsgroups were
    >> working fine for two days before the password problem arose so I had
    >> entered the correct username and password. Don't be misled by the OE
    >> Newsreader in the original post - I reverted because Tbird had stopped
    >> working on newsgroups. If you look under my name you will find two
    >> Tbird posting from the two days before.
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    > It would be a lot easier if you didnt snip or edit posts thanks. While
    > everything is familiar to you, I have to rely on posts for information.

    My apologies - I have always followed the netiquette of trimming posts
    to that necessary. If the preference here is for untrimmed posts I
    shall oblige.

    > What exact error message do you get when you try to access newsgroups
    > now with TB?

    None - it was fixed when I did a MoxBackup restore to a pre-problem back
    up. The message I was getting was password requests (for a password
    that had been stored and previously worked) followed by a news server
    login error. There's no way now to recreate the problem so I'll leave
    it and see if it recurs.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pun Krocker wrote:

    > On this day, 04/Jul/04 20:58, Tony Raven said the following:
    >
    >> Just about migrated from OE6 to Thunderbird 0.7.1 and everything
    >> seemed to be
    >> OK. Just about to switch off OE to complete the migration and I suddenly
    >> can't get onto the news servers - keeps asking for and rejecting the
    >> password.
    >> Check that OE still works fine so sure its not the news server having a
    >> problem. Decide to delete and reinstall the news account to no avail
    >> except
    >> it corrupts a second news account in the process which has to be
    >> deleted as
    >> well. Reinstall the first news account but it still has the problem.
    >> Must be
    >> a corrupted password file - anyone know where its kept as there
    >> doesn't appear
    >> to be any way to access it from within Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Tools > Options > Advanced > Passwords And Security

    Tried that and deleted the stored password (which had been working but
    then ceased to work) but the problem remained.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Tony Raven

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Raven wrote:

    >>> Absolutely certain and I have the correct passwords. Newsgroups were
    >>> working fine for two days before the password problem arose so I had
    >>> entered the correct username and password. Don't be misled by the OE
    >>> Newsreader in the original post - I reverted because Tbird had
    >>> stopped working on newsgroups. If you look under my name you will
    >>> find two Tbird posting from the two days before.
    >>>
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >> It would be a lot easier if you didnt snip or edit posts thanks. While
    >> everything is familiar to you, I have to rely on posts for information.
    >>

    > My apologies - I have always followed the netiquette of trimming posts
    > to that necessary. If the preference here is for untrimmed posts I
    > shall oblige.
    >
    >> What exact error message do you get when you try to access newsgroups
    >> now with TB?
    >>

    > None - it was fixed when I did a MoxBackup restore to a pre-problem back
    > up. The message I was getting was password requests (for a password
    > that had been stored and previously worked) followed by a news server
    > login error. There's no way now to recreate the problem so I'll leave
    > it and see if it recurs.
    >
    > Tony

    Ah, quite difficult to fix what aint broke <g> Please post again if the problem re-appears.

    Oh, for interests sake, there are other newsgroups for Mozilla products available as well. A partial list is available here
    http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/newshelp.html

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 6, 2004
  11. Tony- did you ever solve this?I am having the exact same problem.

    Michael Hobbs, Jul 17, 2004
  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Michael Hobbs wrote:

    > Tony- did you ever solve this?I am having the exact same problem.

    Never solved the problem directly. Fortunately I had downloaded and
    tried MozBackup shortly before so did a restore and everything was fine
    again.

    I now do regular backups especially since reading on the forum that
    Norton AV can cause the deletion of your entire inbox when removing a
    virus if it is set up to delete a virus automatically - something to do
    with the way Tbird stores all inbox e-mails in one file apparently

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jul 17, 2004