    OE (program not responding).

    Thanks,
    ...::Doc Von Rock::..

    ..::Doc Von Rock:.., Jul 13, 2003

  2. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ..::Doc Von Rock:..
    continued:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
    >
    > Back with another headscratcher.
    >
    > I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
    > the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
    > newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
    > most of the time.
    >
    > ctrl/alt/del
    > OE (program not responding).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ..::Doc Von Rock::..

    File/Folder/Compact all folders.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 13, 2003

  3. "..::Doc Von Rock:.." <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
    >
    > Back with another headscratcher.
    >
    > I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
    > the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
    > newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
    > most of the time.
    >
    > ctrl/alt/del
    > OE (program not responding).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ..::Doc Von Rock::..

    Use a better newsreader than Outlook Express, like Xnews -
    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    --
    -=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-
    Parts & Service

    PC-Component.com, Jul 13, 2003
  4. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    °Mike° Guest

    Your 'folders.dbx' may be damaged. Close down O.E and rename
    your folders.dbx file to folders.old, re-open O.E. and turn
    off 'Compact in the background' in Tools / Options / Maintenance.

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:50:17 GMT, in
    <dCjQa.1708$>
    ..::Doc Von Rock:.. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2003
  5. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    °Mike° Guest

    Nutscrape is probably THE worst reader if you ever want to
    download binaries.

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:24:32 GMT, in
    <>
    Me2U scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2003
  6. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    Richard Guest

    "..::Doc Von Rock:.." <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
    >
    > Back with another headscratcher.
    >
    > I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of the
    > others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
    > newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE most

    of
    > the time.
    >
    > ctrl/alt/del
    > OE (program not responding).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ..::Doc Von Rock::..

    Delete your cache files. Specially for that group. You can always subscribe
    to the groups later.
    scandisk and defrag.
    cache files are like 24hoursupport.helpdesk.dbx.
    Scandisk and defrag on a regular basis.

    Another thing you can do is to not store message bodies.
    In order to do this, you need to turn on "compact messages in background",
    which some suggest you never do, then check the box just below it.

    tools/options/maintenance tab.

    having done this, I have never had a problem with OE freezing or crashing.

    Richard, Jul 13, 2003
  7. "Me2U" <> wrote in message
    > Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for

    newsgroups.

    I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.

    Brenadier Jehosephat, Jul 13, 2003
  8. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    Michael Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > "Brenadier Jehosephat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Me2U" <> wrote in message
    >>> Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for
    >>> newsgroups.

    >> I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.
    >>

    > I killfile all users of usenet.

    Did you reply to this by telepathy, then?

    Michael, Jul 14, 2003
  9. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard said:

    > "Brenadier Jehosephat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Me2U" <> wrote in message
    >>> Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for
    >>> newsgroups.

    >> I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.
    >>

    > I killfile all users of usenet.

    What a shame you still haven't gotten round to drinking that bottle of bleach.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 14, 2003
  10. ...::Doc Von Rock:.. scribbled with crayon:

    : Hi,
    :
    : Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
    :
    : Back with another headscratcher.
    :
    : I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
    : the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
    : newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
    : most of the time.
    :
    : ctrl/alt/del
    : OE (program not responding).
    :
    : Thanks,
    : ..::Doc Von Rock::..

    Well, I compacted my folders and renamed my Folders.dbx to Folders.old and
    I still only have the problem when I try to go to another newsgroup from
    this one. I even changed one of the settings to only get 200 headers at a
    time.
    ?

    ..::Doc Von Rock:.., Jul 14, 2003
  11. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    PhilGreg Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Your 'folders.dbx' may be damaged. Close down O.E and rename
    > your folders.dbx file to folders.old, re-open O.E. and turn
    > off 'Compact in the background' in Tools / Options / Maintenance.

    ==> Couls also delete folders.dbx and reboot. Same results but no junk
    left on system

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Jul 14, 2003
  12. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    PhilGreg Guest

    "..::Doc Von Rock:.." <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    > Well, I compacted my folders and renamed my Folders.dbx to

    Folders.old and
    > I still only have the problem when I try to go to another newsgroup

    from
    > this one. I even changed one of the settings to only get 200 headers

    at a
    > time.
    > ?

    ==> Didja' reboot?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Jul 14, 2003
  13. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    burris Guest

    Me2U wrote:

    > Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for newsgroups.

    Try Netscape 7.1..Great new browser with junk mail filters and never
    locks up.

    burris, Jul 14, 2003
  14. ..::Doc Von Rock:..

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:13:38 GMT, in
    <CdpQa.72$>
    ..::Doc Von Rock:.. scrawled:

    >..::Doc Von Rock:.. scribbled with crayon:
    >
    >: Hi,
    >:
    >: Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
    >:
    >: Back with another headscratcher.
    >:
    >: I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
    >: the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
    >: newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
    >: most of the time.
    >:
    >: ctrl/alt/del
    >: OE (program not responding).
    >:
    >: Thanks,
    >: ..::Doc Von Rock::..
    >
    >Well, I compacted my folders and renamed my Folders.dbx to
    >Folders.old and I still only have the problem when I try to
    >go to another newsgroup from this one. I even changed one of
    >the settings to only get 200 headers at a time.
    >?

    Uninstall and re-install O.E.

    Better still, use a news client that works.

    http://www.forteinc.com/
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/