    in the magic group but does in this one.

    any help appreciated,

    thx

    PSitsMagic, Aug 22, 2005

  2. PSitsMagic

    Mike Easter Guest

    PSitsMagic wrote:
    > Why is it that it shows headers going back over a week in this news
    > group but when i go onto another (alt.magic) i get a small amount of
    > headers only going back a few days? Clicking on the 'get next
    > headers' doesnt do anything in the magic group but does in this one.

    How many headers are available for you to download depends on how many
    posts there average per day and how many days retention the newsserver
    has.

    Different newsservers have different retentions and different newsgroups
    have different averages of posts per day.

    You are reading and posting to a blueyonder newsserver and the admin of
    that newsserver will make decisions on how many days of retention to
    have for text newsgroups, for example, which is likely to be different
    for binaries.

    This newsgroup had about 450 posts yesterday, whereas the alt.magic
    newsgroup had a 'few' posts per day last week. That is going to show a
    lot of difference in how many headers and messages are going to be
    accessible for the two different text groups.

    news.readfreenews.net has about 73000 messages available in this group,
    2000 in alt.magic. Your provider's newsserver, like my provider's,
    likely has considerably less. A news admin might decide to handle
    retention differently than a number of days or binaries differently than
    text or some groups differently than others.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2005

  3. PSitsMagic

    PSitsMagic Guest

    Thank you for your help and explaination

    Paul

    PSitsMagic, Aug 22, 2005