    Robert Baer Guest

    I have the filters set-up and they look good, but they do not work.
    HELP?
    Robert Baer, Sep 18, 2012

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 9/18/2012 8:44 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > I have the filters set-up and they look good, but they do not work.
    > HELP?

    Your post doesn't say much. Where are the filters? What software are you
    using to read Usenet?

    I use my email program, Thunderbird. I have a bunch of filters set up
    and they work very well. Are you using capital letters to match the
    words you are looking for?

    Paul
    Paul Drahn, Sep 18, 2012

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 9/18/2012 8:44 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> I have the filters set-up and they look good, but they do not work.
    >> HELP?

    > Your post doesn't say much. Where are the filters? What software are you
    > using to read Usenet?
    >
    > I use my email program, Thunderbird. I have a bunch of filters set up
    > and they work very well. Are you using capital letters to match the
    > words you are looking for?
    >
    > Paul

    I am using SeaMonkey for newsgroup account for teranews.com; i click
    on an offending e-mail (one of a hundred or so per day), click on the
    underlined source address and a pull-down menu is displayed under there.
    I select the filter option, and the first, default line is From:, the
    condition is IS:, and the last part (for matching purposes is an exact
    copy of the from field.
    Therefore there can be no errors in spelling, case, etc.
    As i had mentioned in the past, there are two "source" nyms both from
    "at" kpnmail "dot" nl.
    I have expanded the number of conditions, thinking that these are
    "OR" (x OR Y or zz) to have both complete addresses, with just the "at"
    kpnmail "dot" nl ("contains"), with just the kpnmail "dot" nl
    ("contains"), with each name only ("contains").
    In short, i have covered these damn things every which way, and ZERO
    are removed.
    Robert Baer, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 9/18/2012 8:44 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> I have the filters set-up and they look good, but they do not work.
    >> HELP?

    > Your post doesn't say much. Where are the filters? What software are you
    > using to read Usenet?
    >
    > I use my email program, Thunderbird. I have a bunch of filters set up
    > and they work very well. Are you using capital letters to match the
    > words you are looking for?
    >
    > Paul

    The filter he would be using, looks like this.

    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9230/seamonkeyfilter.gif

    *******

    At one time, the miscreants were getting through, using
    a From: field like .

    But in this example, they've changed their delivery method.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.computer/msg/2d6d78d59101a9dc?dmode=source

    The only part of that header that has anything to do with kpn.nl, is this:

    You could filter a From: of gmail.com, but then that will get
    rid of half the legit messages as well.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 18, 2012
  5. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Paul Drahn wrote:
    >>> Your post doesn't say much. Where are the filters? What software are
    >>> you using to read Usenet?
    >>>
    >>> I use my email program, Thunderbird. I have a bunch of filters set up
    >>> and they work very well. Are you using capital letters to match the
    >>> words you are looking for?
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> The filter he would be using, looks like this.
    >>
    >> http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9230/seamonkeyfilter.gif
    >>
    >> *******
    >>
    >> At one time, the miscreants were getting through, using
    >> a From: field like .
    >>
    >> But in this example, they've changed their delivery method.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.computer/msg/2d6d78d59101a9dc?dmode=source
    >>

    >> The only part of that header that has anything to do with kpn.nl, is
    >> this:

    >> You could filter a From: of gmail.com, but then that will get
    >> rid of half the legit messages as well.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I do not understand.
    > The "from" says nothing about gmail.
    > For screen shots of my filter setup, see:
    > http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/
    > What do i add or change?
    > Thanks (hair loss excessive from this).

    This is their latest effort.

    Is this the one you saw ?

    *******
    Newsgroups: alt.computer
    Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Hard money (^_^)
    From: <----- Note the *From* ...

    On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30, (unknown) wrote:
    > Hard money (^_^)

    on Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30,(unknown) wrote:
    > Hard money ( _ )

    *******

    There is very little of kpn.nl in that message. It's a Google
    groups message, with a From: field involving gmail.com .

    A question would be, how many more times they would go to the
    trouble of exploiting Google. I guess it depends on how "mental" they are.
    If there's steganography in that message, I can't see it.

    That would be hard to filter, even for the newsserver administrator.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 20, 2012
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> The filter he would be using, looks like this.
    >>>
    >>> http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9230/seamonkeyfilter.gif
    >>>
    >>> *******
    >>>
    >>> At one time, the miscreants were getting through, using
    >>> a From: field like .
    >>>
    >>> But in this example, they've changed their delivery method.
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.computer/msg/2d6d78d59101a9dc?dmode=source
    >>>

    >>> The only part of that header that has anything to do with kpn.nl, is
    >>> this:

    >>> You could filter a From: of gmail.com, but then that will get
    >>> rid of half the legit messages as well.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> I do not understand.
    >> The "from" says nothing about gmail.
    >> For screen shots of my filter setup, see:
    >> http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/
    >> What do i add or change?
    >> Thanks (hair loss excessive from this).

    > This is their latest effort.
    >
    > Is this the one you saw ?
    >
    > *******
    > Newsgroups: alt.computer
    > Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
    > Subject: Re: Hard money (^_^)
    > From: <----- Note the *From* ...
    >
    > On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30, (unknown) wrote:
    > > Hard money (^_^)

    > on Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30,(unknown) wrote:
    > > Hard money ( _ )

    > *******
    >
    > There is very little of kpn.nl in that message. It's a Google
    > groups message, with a From: field involving gmail.com .
    >
    > A question would be, how many more times they would go to the
    > trouble of exploiting Google. I guess it depends on how "mental" they are.
    > If there's steganography in that message, I can't see it.
    >
    > That would be hard to filter, even for the newsserver administrator.
    >
    > Paul

    Absolutely none of these messages i see are via Google; they all are
    from kpnmail.nl .

    But that is not the point of my question: HOW do i get my filter to work?
    Again, screen shots at:
    http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> I do not understand.
    >>> The "from" says nothing about gmail.
    >>> For screen shots of my filter setup, see:
    >>> http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/
    >>> What do i add or change?
    >>> Thanks (hair loss excessive from this).

    >> This is their latest effort.
    >>
    >> Is this the one you saw ?
    >>
    >> *******
    >> Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
    >> Subject: Re: Hard money (^_^)
    >> From: <----- Note the *From* ...
    >>
    >> On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30, (unknown) wrote:
    >> > Hard money (^_^)

    >> on Friday, September 14, 2012 7:11:28 AM UTC+6:30,(unknown) wrote:
    >> > Hard money ( _ )

    >> *******
    >>
    >> There is very little of kpn.nl in that message. It's a Google
    >> groups message, with a From: field involving gmail.com .
    >>
    >> A question would be, how many more times they would go to the
    >> trouble of exploiting Google. I guess it depends on how "mental" they
    >> are.
    >> If there's steganography in that message, I can't see it.
    >>
    >> That would be hard to filter, even for the newsserver administrator.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Absolutely none of these messages i see are via Google; they all are
    > from kpnmail.nl .
    >
    > But that is not the point of my question: HOW do i get my filter to work?
    > Again, screen shots at:
    > http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/

    HMMmmmmmm....
    Tawt i taw a puddy tat.
    Looked at the screen shot example you posted, and noticed the choices
    "all" and "any"; and i had "all" selected; so i just now selected the "any".
    Will let you know the results soon (will wait a while for more to
    come in or test).
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> This is their latest effort.
    >>>
    >>> Is this the one you saw ?
    >>>
    >>> *******
    >>> Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >>> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
    >>> Subject: Re: Hard money (^_^)
    >>> From: <----- Note the *From* ...

    >>> *******
    >>>
    >>> There is very little of kpn.nl in that message. It's a Google
    >>> groups message, with a From: field involving gmail.com .
    >>>
    >>> A question would be, how many more times they would go to the
    >>> trouble of exploiting Google. I guess it depends on how "mental" they
    >>> are.
    >>> If there's steganography in that message, I can't see it.
    >>>
    >>> That would be hard to filter, even for the newsserver administrator.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Absolutely none of these messages i see are via Google; they all are
    >> from kpnmail.nl .
    >>
    >> But that is not the point of my question: HOW do i get my filter to work?
    >> Again, screen shots at:
    >> http://www.oil4lessllc.org/spam/

    > HMMmmmmmm....
    > Tawt i taw a puddy tat.
    > Looked at the screen shot example you posted, and noticed the choices
    > "all" and "any"; and i had "all" selected; so i just now selected the
    > "any".
    > Will let you know the results soon (will wait a while for more to come
    > in or test).

    By jinggies, it looks i fixed it!
    Thanks!
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012