    contributors have migrated off to some other newsgroup where the
    inanities of people like L D'O and Mary H aren't tolerated - in which
    case I'd be obliged if someone would let me know the name of it.
    aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark, Jan 21, 2010

  2. In article <4b58a951$>,
    says...

    > Could someone tell me how you add a contributor to a newsgroup to a
    > 'blacklist' so that you don't have to see their postings? I've heard
    > that this is possible. I use Firefox.
    >
    > This used to be a very useful and informative newsgroup before it was
    > hijacked by a couple of massive egos afflicted with verbal diarrhoea.
    > I've a feeling that if I could screen out the Linux/Dimdows wars, and
    > dispense with the 20-30 links daily to news items that are usually of no
    > interest to me, it would again start to resemble a sensible and rational
    > forum for discussion of current computer issues.
    >
    > On the other hand, it's possible that most of the sane and intelligent
    > contributors have migrated off to some other newsgroup where the
    > inanities of people like L D'O and Mary H aren't tolerated - in which
    > case I'd be obliged if someone would let me know the name of it.

    it's very easy to do if you use a newsreader program that connects to an
    nntp server rather than going the browser way. There are many available
    for free, I use Gravity (available from sourceforge - it's being
    actively developed again b.t.w.) for instance, but there's also
    FreeAgent and a bunch that are much harder to configure i.m.o. (slrn,
    40tude Dialog, xnews) As well, you could use an email client that can do
    newsgroups as an afterthrought: Outlook (express) and Thunderbird to
    name the two most prevalant. Not recommended, either of them (for decent
    usenet reading functionality, that is).

    Someone else will be able to point you to a good free newsserver, I'm a
    bit out of the loop since I have paid ~15bucks a year to use
    news.individual.net for a few years now, they have great up-front spam
    filtering on their newsgroups. No faux nike and rolex ads there.
    aioe and eternalseptember (formerly motzarella.org) come to mind.

    h.t.h., -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jan 21, 2010

  3. aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark

    Mike Dee Guest

    In article <4b58a951$>,
    aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark
    <> wrote:

    > Could someone tell me how you add a contributor to a newsgroup to a
    > 'blacklist' so that you don't have to see their postings? I've heard
    > that this is possible. I use Firefox.

    You appear to be using Thunderbird 2 for posting, not Firefox (which
    doesn't do NNTP).

    I believe Thunderbird 3 has improved usenet filtering, but previous
    versions like the one you are posting with, have next to zip.

    I prefer to use any of the dedicated freeware newsreaders that have
    excellent strong filtering capabilities, such as Xnews or 40tude Dialog.

    Filtering out the Linux/MS flame wars in this group is a doddle with a
    good dedicated newsreader.

    If you really prefer to use Thunderbird and you don't want to upgrade
    you could look into using your existing T'bird in conjunction with
    NewsProxy (aka nfilter), a program that sits between your newsreader and
    your news server. It has excellent filtering and once set up it runs
    transparently, you don't notice its there.

    Should you want to try NewsProxy, version 1.2.4 is pretty solid. DL:
    <ftp://ftp.zedz.net/incoming/NewsProxy_1.2.4.zip> The file
    "NewsProxy_1.2.4.zip" MD5sum = 69473937dfbc3b33520da75e06606918

    For earlier versions and info on NewsProxy/nfilter and how to use it:
    <http://www.nfilter.org/>

    For (brief) info on programs similar to NewsProxy and why you may need
    them: <http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html>

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jan 22, 2010
  4. aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark

    Mike Dee Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Mike Dee <> wrote:

    > I believe Thunderbird 3 has improved usenet filtering, but previous
    > versions like the one you are posting with, have next to zip.

    It looks like Thunderbird 2 does have *some* filtering capabilities, you
    should be able to do some simple filtering on certain posters and
    subjects in NGs...

    A page with some good instructional pix, here:
    <http://meets.radp.org/usenet2.htm> Scroll down page to the line:
    "Finally, you might want to use filters to make your Usenet experience
    safer and more enjoyable." and take it from there.

    HTH

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jan 22, 2010
  5. aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-01-21, aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark <> wrote:
    > Could someone tell me how you add a contributor to a newsgroup to a
    > 'blacklist' so that you don't have to see their postings? I've heard
    > that this is possible. I use Firefox.

    Ms Penguin here. May I suggest that you use the correct tool. Firefox is a
    web browser, not a newsreader.

    > This used to be a very useful and informative newsgroup before it was
    > hijacked by a couple of massive egos afflicted with verbal diarrhoea.

    I use my brain. Scanning of headers is a skill one needs to aquire. I mean
    do read all of a magazine, or newspaper? One scans the headlines.

    > I've a feeling that if I could screen out the Linux/Dimdows wars, and
    > dispense with the 20-30 links daily to news items that are usually of no
    > interest to me, it would again start to resemble a sensible and rational
    > forum for discussion of current computer issues.

    That is you viewpoint. Thanks for sharing it with us. Look I have been
    around along enough to know that Lawerence will probably be gone while I am
    still reading this group.

    > On the other hand, it's possible that most of the sane and intelligent
    > contributors have migrated off to some other newsgroup where the
    > inanities of people like L D'O and Mary H aren't tolerated - in which
    > case I'd be obliged if someone would let me know the name of it.

    We live in a democracy, there is a price to pay for that. Tolerate, or
    ignore idiots, as you see them and lets move on.

    BTW have you heard of BABYMASH? Capitals are required. Go on Google
    Gordon, Jan 22, 2010
  6. aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-01-22, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    > In article <4b58a951$>,
    > aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > Filtering out the Linux/MS flame wars in this group is a doddle with a
    > good dedicated newsreader.

    Challange accepted. You miss out. Go on plonk me.
    Gordon, Jan 22, 2010
  7. aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark

    Mike Dee Guest

    In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    > On 2010-01-22, Mike Dee <> wrote:

    [...]

    > > Filtering out the Linux/MS flame wars in this group is a doddle with a
    > > good dedicated newsreader.

    > Challange accepted. You miss out. Go on plonk me.

    LoL ;-) There's no challenge there. If I wanted to, I could... Just
    wouldn't bleat about it, so likely you'd never know.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jan 22, 2010
  8. Re: Noisegroup filter

    In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > Go on plonk me.

    The ones who really deserve plonking are the ones who moan about other
    people’s postings without contributing anything worthwhile themselves. Those
    are the real abusive wankers who should be shunned.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2010
  9. Thanks Guys, lot of good info there. I should be comfortable behind my
    wall of exclusion.

    2 points in reply.
    I've no wish to restrict anyone's freedom of speech. I just want to
    assert my right not to have to listen. I need this newsgroup because it
    often provides me with useful computer information that I couldn't get
    anywhere else. I'm old. Time is short. Computers are fun. But I find it
    unnecessarily tiring to have to wade through a whole lot of twaddle that
    is there only because some people have an axe to grind and/or a
    relentless determination to show off in front of others.

    I'm what you might call a computer end-user. If I don't contribute to
    this group, it's because I have absolutely nothing to say. There's
    nothing I know about computers that you guys don't already know (seems I
    don't even know the difference between a Thunderbird and a Firefox :) )
    But I enjoy listening in to your conversations, and I gain a lot of
    understanding from them. When one or two teenagers start monopolising
    the discussion & shouting at each other non-stop, well, one feels a need
    to do something about it. But maybe you're right - just wait for them to
    grow up. This used to be a good newsgroup - it may be so again.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Have a pleasant week!

    aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark, Jan 23, 2010